Settra command traits

Valamanathrax

I think is should be read as mortal wounds.

According to the core rules, a wound is what happens after saves and determining damage, so you wouldn't actually get armour saves against it, it would in effect be a mortal wound that doesn't trigger things like Nagash's Morikhane ability.

A successful "hit roll" turns an attack into a hit.
A successful "wound roll", (odd as it may seem), only means that the attack "causes damage"
A failed armour save turns "causes damage" into "successful attacks"
You "determine damage" for each "successful attack" to see how many wounds it causes.

One way or another, GW messed up the wording. I think it's safest to assume they meant "mortal wound", rather than "an attack causing damage, with no rend and a damage characteristic of 1".

OK, then it's a "wound", which means you jump right in at the "Inflicting Damage" section of the rules, allocating that wound to models and removing casualties, exactly as you would for a "mortal wound", except that technically it's not a "mortal wound", so it doesn't trigger effects that say "when X suffers a mortal wound".

I have a Necrosphinx. I've had to parse out these rules to make sense of Sacred War Statue and Deathless Minions. If you start claiming that armour saves are taken against wounds, both these rules (and many others) break down.

Armour saves are not taken against wounds. Armour saves are taken against "caused damage". Wounds are not normally inflicted until you reach the "Determine Damage" step of the rules, which comes after armour saves are taken.

The writer may have been thinking of 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles, where a successful to-wound roll caused a wound, against which saves were attempted, and if they failed it became an "unsaved wound". If it had the "multiple wounds" special rule, it would then cause multiple wounds.

Many rules in 8th edition WHFB talked about "when X suffers a wound". Many of them where FAQ'd to read "when X suffers an unsaved wound". Many others were not FAQ'd at all, but everyone played them as "when X suffers an unsaved wound", because as written the rules were stupid. Many complained about a wound becoming a wound then becoming several wounds, because GW couldn't get their terminology straight.

Yeah, it looked a bit rubbish as an Artifact. I always take either the Tomb Blade for hitty models, a Ring of Immortality, or a Sword of Unholy Power if I have a Summoning Pool set aside.

Also @Valamanathrax, your Settra may not be able to take Command Traits or Artifacts, but you can still give an Artifact to one Hero in your army instead of Settra, you just won't get the Command Trait.

Personally I've found Settra is more than worth it if you build around him.

Back to the OP, I think its pretty obvious that Settra synergises well with Deathrattle. Necropolis Knights are probably your best combo here, but Skeletons and Chariots also work. The +1 to hit also works well with Spirit Hosts, since it basically doubles their Frightful Touch ability, which is the main reason people take them in the first place. Most Deathrattle units (including the Knights) are also Skeleton, so you can boost them further by including a Tomb King on foot, and/or a Royal Warsphinx, depending what size game you are playing.

The king on foot and Settra both work well with the Liche Priests Righteous Smiting spell, especially on big blocks of basic Skeletons. That gives you a large number of non-rending attacks. The Royal Sphinx is better suited to boosting the Knight's Necrovenom, which can deal a lot of mortal wounds.

If you're going with Knights and/or Chariots, a Tomb Herald can also be helpful.

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. I'll be going against empire(free people) so it's should be fun. Steam tank, flaggies, canons and Demi gryphs... 

As it stands my army will be the following.

settra, TK on foot, liche priest, necrotech.

chariots (3), chariots(3), skeletons(10)

archers(20), knights(3), ushabti(3), scorpion ? 

sphinx

2000pts

Plan is to buff the snakes and fly them up with the sphinx first turn. Start causing mayhem straight away. Scorpion will also pop up as a distraction.  

After that, the rest of the army follows with archers getting buffed from the TK and priest to do amaz-balls damage to anything with low armour. 

Then see how it all plays out in reality!! As I have a tendency to roll a million 1's in combat!!! Damn you dice gods... damn you!!

Archived