Trying mono Ironjawz (list 1500 pts)

Anaticula

I have been playing a lot of greenskinz and loved it. Bashed quite a few armies with these "underdogs".

But since my collection of Ironjawz is big enough now I want to try to play them in the next months. Here is my list:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Ardboys x 20 (360) 50% shields / 50% big choppas
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180) jagged gore hackas
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180) two choppas
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180) two choppas
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3 (180) choppas

Batallions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1440/2000

What do you guys think? I do not have much variation with the models, I admit, I could only add some Ardboyz right now.

Also, what ability and artefact would you take?

I have very little experience, but you might consider combining two of your 5x Brutes into one unit.  Then run the megaboss and one of the warchanters with the unit of 10 brutes.  Ideally, you would have the jagged gore choppas (the ones with the two inch range) for the unit of 10 brutes.  This might make it easier for you to give as many buffs to your brutes as possible.

I don't recall if the upper limit on ironfist units was 5 or 6 units, but that might also weigh into whether you run 15 brutes as one unit or three.

I've always wanted to try out a massive group of 30 Ardboyz, buffed up and ready for bear! Of course, I'm always disappointed in them when it comes to dealing damage.

Anyway, Ironfist is 3-5 units, so you'll either need to combine Ardboyz or 2 units of Brutes. Conversely you could add more models and take 2 Ironfist Battalions. I agree on combining 2 units of Brutes so you can get your bonus' on more Brutes.

I forgot the artifacts question (must need more coffee)...Battle Brew and Talisman of Protection both on the Megaboss see to be the popular choices for artifacts.  Rampaging Destroyers from the destruction alliance turns your lumbering green machine into a turbo charged green machine!

You can only take one artifact per Hero though, and in the case of your army I'd take double Battle Brew (one on Megaboss, one on a Warchanter). At least that way you could turn up the damage output on a Warchanter by getting extra attacks on a 5+. Command Ability is always Ravager for me, though if facing Sylvaneth and Wyldwoods Nothing Left Standing is a good choice.

I've not had that experience, and I've used them in about 40 games so far. For me, they tie down a unit I'm not ready to deal with yet. They put pressure on components of my opponents army (Warmachines, Heroes, etc), they block off areas of the board with their big bases, they are able to redeploy very fast (Gifts from the Heavens). 

Yes, they aren't going to deal out massive damage. They do better with a Warchanter buff. I have still found them to be of great use in all my games. 

I do agree about combining the Ardboyz though, could be a good thing.

I love Gruntas. I use 2 units of 3. The army is so threatening that many times they are left alone as their damage output is not fantastic. But what they do really well.is get around a flank to attack artillery and with Iron fist and ravager they do it quickly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It looks as solid as you can get to be honest. Some people prefer to take a 10 man unit of brutes with jagged choppers while others prefer to take 5 man units of two weapons, a gorechop to take advantage of the melee monster that is the boss. Both have advantages.

5 man units means more bosses that with their claw and smasher can do gigantic damage to any unit it connects against (anywhere from 4 to 18 wounds generated depending on the bosses mood). It's easier to move a 5 man unit around and it's more flexible; for example vs Grots and Fanatics, if one squad gets intercepted by fanatics, the other one's free. xD The main downside is that it means more models that won't be receiving warchant/sharman buffs and that because theres more units it means combat is more spread out, which means you might lose more brutes in a three units of 5 then 2 units of a 10 and a 5. A 5 man unit is usually precision tool that will have a target to take out.

a 10 man unit is easier to buff to buff and as such more brutes can swing in a turn, lances means that generally most of the models of a brute pack can get in and any early causualties shouldn't dramatically effect their killiness. The issue is that a 10 man is a bigger commitment then it's pricetag of 360 suggests; it needs the boss to inspiring prescience them to keep battle shock from wiping them out, a warchanter to make them super accurate and even then, if they get chump blocked they are basically a gigantic waste of points. This means less Wharrgs which means that the rest of your army becomes less effective. Thats a pretty big deal to 'ardboys who get much more out of a Whaaaaggg then brutes and gores.

I think Gores do have a purpose, I've had games where Goregrunters have been able to pin down units despite heavily unfair engagements and they are fast. They make decent flankers and ranged killers and any Ironjaw list done right has to present a lot of threats in a short space of time; either make them commit to giving up some of their army to block the gores thus reducing their upfront force or get their backline units sniped.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to play 4 games against Bretonnia. I lost one, won 3.

I used this list more or less. After the first game (which I lost) I split my Ardboyz up into two units again, which gave me some more flexibility in blocking these damn fast knights.

The gore gruntas were not really a unit for battle, more for going around flanks and taking objectives. One must not get a wrong idea of them when seeing the esthetics of them. They are not really meant to crush anything. But they can hold or support well.

Bretonnia of course is not really an army you'll find a lot these days, but they can be damn nasty if they charge you. And their Lords suck.

Ah and one more things. I never was so sure what to think about the rule that one does not take turns but throws a dice to determine who goes first. Now I know what to think. I think it's way too strong for certain armies. When Ironjawz get a double turn early on so that they can do all their running and charging, they win. Good for us, but not balanced at all. 

Archived