Blood Vulture and Running

Donal

Question

3 answers to this question

The Age of Sigmar rules state that units that have run can't shoot that turn under the section on running. In the section on the shooting phase it specifies that a unit can 'shoot with models armed with missile weapons' and that 'Each model attacks with all the missile weapons it is armed with'.

Stuff like the Blood Vulture and a dracoth's Storm Breath aren't missile weapons, but abilities used in the shooting phase, so I've always played them as being usable when the model with them has run that turn.

It's also worth noting that they're not shooting attacks in any other respect either and won't be affected by other special rules affecting shooting attacks, for example a gryph-hound's warning screech allowing nearby friendly units to fire when a new enemy unit is set up.

Stuff like the Blood Vulture and a dracoth's Storm Breath aren't missile weapons, but abilities used in the shooting phase, so I've always played them as being usable when the model with them has run that turn.

Other examples are the Magmadroth's breath attack and the Heraldor's trumpet. Les Martin pointed out the latter on Facehammer last year.

Rules state that "A unit that runs can't shoot or charge later that turn" and that you "can shoot with models armed with missle weapons."

So I also read that since a Blood Vulture is not a missile weapon then it's not "shooting," but rather an ability that happens in shooting phase, it is not hindered by running in the movement phase or affected by anti-shooting de-buffs.

Archived