Terrain for tournaments?

Mikophant

Hi Guys -

I'm looking to start going to tournaments/events/whatever, but a lot of them seem to have requirements to bring pieces of terrain, which I am entirely lacking, so I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for decent looking pieces of terrain that were fairly available/affordable (UK) or easy to scratch build for someone who has never done that before.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest, GW do some pretty decent bits of terrain that are not too badly priced.

The Arcane Ruins, Garden of Morr and Sylvaneth Wyldwoods are all good starts.

With the Arcane Ruins I've made a good few pieces of scatter terrain as you get so many extra pillars and that.

If you're not comfortable with painting it up, 4Ground do some Fantasy pieces. They're pre-painted MDF terrain but you do need to build them.

They can be a little more expensive but depends what you're looking for.

After going to several events consider what terrain you wish you would see but haven't. For example, if there aren't any large, LoS blocking pieces out there, try making one. As for what to get to do this, there are loads of options out there, especially if you don't mind doing a little hobby.

21 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

To be honest, GW do some pretty decent bits of terrain that are not too badly priced.

The Arcane Ruins, Garden of Morr and Sylvaneth Wyldwoods are all good starts.

With the Arcane Ruins I've made a good few pieces of scatter terrain as you get so many extra pillars and that.

If you're not comfortable with painting it up, 4Ground do some Fantasy pieces. They're pre-painted MDF terrain but you do need to build them.

They can be a little more expensive but depends what you're looking for.

Those are quite cool, actually - Didn't know they exist, but that is clearly just because they are direct only. Guess I should spend some time actually looking at the GW site. I know the realmgates look pretty decent, and they are re-releasing the magewrath throne, just wasn't too familiar with other bits.

As for the wyldwoods, is there anything really 'specific' to them being a wyldwood, or are they fairly safely 'generic' terrain pieces?

I'm happy painting stuff, so I'll look into options other than the 4ground bits, I think.

Thank you for the suggestions

@Mikophant not a problem. You can use the Wyldwoods as normal forests if you don't play Sylvaneth thats not a problem.

Yeah some of the older bits that are direct only are really good but not everyone knows they're back in stock as they went out of production for a while.

Despite owning a set already think I'll be ordering another Arcane Ruins, such a good kit. Especially combining it with some of the leaves from the forest kits.

2016-08-10 16.25.29.jpg

@TalesOfSigmar yeah, the arcane ruins and Garden of Morr both look really good, just because of the amount of flexibility you get out of each kit. The wyldwood do just look like they are the old Citadel woods reboxed in sets of 3 and renamed. Pretty decently priced compared to mose of the resin/MDF terrain I've seen everywhere else, as well.

Thanks again!

Archived