Rant - playing with unglued models

Iain

It depends entirely who you're playing with and against. Who's the bigger problem - the guy who shows up with a bunch of half made, gray plastic proxies to that big apocalypse style game which a group have spent ages building terrain and painting minis for to create a visual spectacle, or the guy who blocks someone from their first game at a club because they haven't stuck the shields on their Start Collecting box minis.

My old group had a decent solution to this. We awarded bonus points in our league for how close to painted your army was each week. We also had a painting table set up at the club so that guys with limited time didn't have to choose between seeing friends and painting.

Wow lots of strong opinions on this! Just to clarify where I'm coming from - I totally understand the time issue, and if you're never going to do more than spray your army white and stick a wash on it - no problem, good for you, let's play. But what is the mindset of not even building the models?? Why even buy them?

22 hours ago, Iain said:

I'm sure this can't just be my local GW store, but loads of gamers of all ages turn up with their models in pretty terrible states, e.g.

unpainted models

unpainted bases

No bases!

No arms!

Wow...

Yes, I'd say it's just you. In my area, every unpainted model is on its way to being painted. Maybe not well painted, but everyone does their best. The only time I ever see a partially assembled model is when it's clearly being painted in assemblies.

I don't really want to wade in on the painted vs. unpainted debate. What I do want to say is that if you're a pro-paint partisan (PPP for short) the best way to change hearts and minds on this issue is by being helpful rather than critical. Host a paint night. Offer tips and tricks. If you're an airbrusher, offer to help one of your buddies get everything basecoated and highlighted. If you act like a sourpuss, it's not going to convince anyone to get painting. In fact, it's going to leave people thinking "geez, these guys who care a lot about painting are a bunch of elitist ******," and that's going to drive them to leave their models unpainted just to ****** you off.

Or, worse, it'll drive them to play some pre-painted garbage like X-Wing.

Just a thought... don't just condemn the problem, do something about it.

I came across this most when playing locally on a weekly basis, and with people preparing for tournaments where they were trying out new things. In this case, playing games and getting to know people in the community is more important to me than having the full color experience on the table. I would not expect each week to have progress, however, I always wanted to see some progress from month to month. 

I'm always looking for ways to encourage other people to make whatever progress they can make for themselves. 

1) Paint your own army and in doing so inspire others to do the same. Or, paint an army to a super basic standard so people can visualize a more attainable goal.

2) Praise the models they do have painted and share your excitement for when they have the whole army painted this way.

3) Schedule some campaigns/games that require x% of painted models - people can still play unpainted but have something to strive for, many players need tournaments and events to give them motivation and a deadline.

4) Talk with people about their painting, just general hobby talk can motivate some people. Point them to YouTube, especially @Vincent Venturella 's hobby cheating v

5) offer to paint for people if they don't like to do it themselves. 

6) Bring rattle cans to your next game night, when your opponent sets up his whole army, whip them out and spray his or her models without permission and watch them praise you for helping them out big time. 

Obviously you are just venting, no biggy, but for anyone else who wants to turn that frustration into doing something about it, here are some ideas.

3 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Host a paint night. Offer tips and tricks. If you're an airbrusher, offer to help one of your buddies get everything basecoated and highlighted. If you act like a sourpuss, it's not going to convince anyone to get painting.

Love these additional ideas and proactive attitude.

2 minutes ago, StoneMonk said:

1) Paint your own army and in doing so inspire others to do the same. Or, paint an army to a super basic standard so people can visualize a more attainable goal.

2) Praise the models they do have painted and share your excitement for when they have the whole army painted this way.

These are really important ways to improve the aesthetic standards of your community that I totally forgot about. Good on you!

Archived