Greenstuff Sculpting or Mould making?

Turragor

So I have an idea for my next army/project. It will involve sculpting for each miniature. I am thinking of a very simple style of mask.

My question is does anyone here have experience with, or knowledge of links to, sculpting a mask for each model in an army? Would a mould of a few variations be the way to go? How would I go about making that mould?

For attaching the mask would I indent the models face on the back side of the mask?

If you can either sculpt the mask, or maybe better yet make a base out of bits and then green stuff the rest to make the pieces fit as you want it, then getting some Instant Mold makes "casting" fairly easy, especially if the mask is flat-ish on one side.

It's this stuff here:

https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/instant-mold.html

You can get it many places, and I've seen it under some other name too.

Press molding is perfect for reproducing simple flat items like shields and in this case masks.  You can use Instant Mold or Fimo polymer clay (oven baked), if you can make 5 or so molds from your master you can then produce a few copies at a time.  Remember to lubricate, I brush on Vaseline (petroleum jelly).

I use a mix of greenstuff and milliput 2:1 for the copies using wet fingers to mix and giving it 20 minutes or so before casting.  This makes the putty less sticky.  I place a small piece of Aluminum foil over the blob of putty when I press it into the mold so it doesn't stick to finger while I squidge it firmly into the mold.  It's best to removing them from the mold before they are fully cured so they are still quite flexible, then give them a bit trim with a sharp knife and your done.  Good luck!

Archived