Kurnoth hunters.

Dracothjay

Right, I've decided to start a 2nd army and sylvaneth is the choice. I've Gone and bought kurnoth hunters and deciding if I should go greatswords or scythes. I can do bows with another unit of say 6, but I feel a unit of 3 bows is weak. 

Im thinking I should build scythes because they look devastating on paper!

Considering the -2 rend the scythes are obv. better against targets with a good save. At a save of 3+ or better the scythes do more damage if I get the maths right, 4+ should be no difference and 5+ and lower is where the greatswords shine.

A big bonus for the scythes though is the greater reach, which combines well with the ability to re-roll saves. The 2" reach is great if you only can pile in 1". 

So, greatswords if your planning to be charging anyway and that charge takes you into low-save models; scythes can handle the saves better and still do decent damage when "tangled".

Scythes sure do look cool, but hey, so does the swords :) 

Swords do more damage until you're against very good saves (also possibly vs things that ignore -1 rend) but the 2" reach on the Scythes is significant, especially as you pretty much always want to take advantage of their ability to reroll failed saves in exchange for only 1" pile-in. On the balance of it I lean towards Scythes but it's close enough that you can pick whichever one you like.

Yeah I think going 2x3 is the way to go on the archers. Even on melee variants I'd think I'd go that way (better mobility, chance that half of them can circumvent a single unit tarpitting/screening them) though for healing purposes 1x6 might be better.

Archived