Is this a good list?

Wraith01

The Stormcast Eternals from the starter set plus a start collecting box,  2 boxes each of judicators and retributors, a lord Castellant, a Knight Azyros and a Knight Questor? 

That would be:

A lord Celestant on Dracoth

A lord Celestant

A lord Relictor 

A lord Castellant 

A Knight Azyros

A Knight Questor

3 units of Liberators (Hammers,  swords and double hammers) 

3 units of Paladins (Retributors,  Protectors and Decimators) 

2 units of Judicators (all bows and arrows) 

2 units of Prosecutors (Hammers and javalins) 

I haven't picked up the Generals Handbook yet but don't want to get carried away buying stuff that won't work well together later. 

It seems like a fairly effective force, but you'll struggle with speed -- significantly. A Heraldor and/or Vexillor can help with that (unless you would rather go with the Dracoth riders). 

Also, since you'll have 15 Paladins, I would recommend building just 10 as Retributors and 5 as Protectors. I don't have any Protectors myself but they seem to be worth having.

Just now, Wraith01 said:

Oh,  I was planning on having all units with different weapons! 

Excellent -- try out all the varieties!

I've been finding that the Knight-Questor is pretty good in AoS. Get him in cover and he has a 2+ rerollable save. He's just a magnet for my opponents' attacks and they have a really hard time actually dealing 5 wounds to kill him.

6 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

It seems like a fairly effective force, but you'll struggle with speed -- significantly. A Heraldor and/or Vexillor can help with that (unless you would rather go with the Dracoth riders). 

How many heroes can I have? 

1 minute ago, Wraith01 said:

How many heroes can I have? 

I believe that at 2000 points (an apparently very common game size) you can have 6 heroes -- try using Scrollbuilder.com to create your army and the requirements are indicated on the page.

Counter question to the original topic: do you like/want those models?

If so, the answer to your original post is yes.   It is a good list. 

If not, then no. 

Don't get caught up in the hype of "good" or "points effective."  That mentality is of the Old World.  Let it stay there among its ashes.

This is the AGE OF SIGMAR!  Embrace all models you like!  Forsake all you don't!  Roll some dice and have some laughs!  Your greatest war stories won't be about the "perfectly tuned list," they'll be about the time the Celestant Prime shrugs off 1000 wounds only be be slain by a lowly Grot.

Seriously though, the top of my response gives my answer.  Now I'm just milking it. 

I agree and disagree.

One of my favourite tales has been a brutal list synergy i came up against and how i reformed my army to face it.

I do play for fun but i also find list building and tactical synergy really fun too. So I think it can exist in a positive way.

many a story to be told outside of list building too, that time when all i needed to win the game was a 6 and i rolled a 5, letting that last grot run to safety! 

41 minutes ago, Criti said:

Counter question to the original topic: do you like/want those models?

If so, the answer to your original post is yes.   It is a good list. 

If not, then no. 

Don't get caught up in the hype of "good" or "points effective."  That mentality is of the Old World.  Let it stay there among its ashes.

This is the AGE OF SIGMAR!  Embrace all models you like!  Forsake all you don't!  Roll some dice and have some laughs!  Your greatest war stories won't be about the "perfectly tuned list," they'll be about the time the Celestant Prime shrugs off 1000 wounds only be be slain by a lowly Grot.

Seriously though, the top of my response gives my answer.  Now I'm just milking it. 

21 minutes ago, Kinglizard said:

I agree and disagree.

One of my favourite tales has been a brutal list synergy i came up against and how i reformed my army to face it.

I do play for fun but i also find list building and tactical synergy really fun too. So I think it can exist in a positive way.

many a story to be told outside of list building too, that time when all i needed to win the game was a 6 and i rolled a 5, letting that last grot run to safety! 

I always build my lists first with the models i like, then i break them down into which of what i like is good/synergistic and i compromise a little to get the models i like foremost then refine it as best i can.

You should never take anything just of;

A) looks 

B) how good it is.

You should try for C) A+B = C

Well, I want to put together a Stormcast Eternals army. I already have the Starter set, but I don't want all the liberators with Hammer and Shield. Getting the Start collecting box allows me to give 5 of them double Hammers and have a Unit of Liberators with Sword and Shield. I also get at least one grandhammer and grandsword, which is really cool. I also want the Retributors and Judicators!

My other reason for putting this army together is that I want to paint them as the Stormhosts that they present in the first book. I posted about it here: http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/3720-my-long-term-aos-project/

2 hours ago, Warchief Varard said:

You should never take anything just of;

A) looks 

B) how good it is.

You should try for C) A+B = C

Years ago, I might have agreed.  Maybe I'm just getting old.   Maybe years of trying to be "competitive" has finally caught up with me.   But at this point in my life/gaming career, I find that A is all that matters. 

Archived