Thunderscorn List?

hobgoblinclub

I'm wondering how a pure Thunderscorn list might fare in competitive games. It's low model count but would probably cost around £300 to put together. 

The list is simply 4 shaggoths and 24 dragon ogres in units of 3, with the more smashy draconic crushers. 

The reason I like the list is that the shaggoth's Beneath the Tempest ability potentially causes your entire army to heal on a tied priority roll. If I'm reading it correctly it'd play as 'Roll a dice shaggoth for each unit of dragon ogres' so each unit might heal 4 D3 wounds, assuming all of the shaggoths were still on the table. It obviously wouldn't heal dead models, but you could guarantee the minis on the table would be on full health after it happened. 

What do you think? 

Screenshot_2016-10-03-20-38-54.png

I agree with the healing. It's pretty overrated. Would be different if it was like 40k and you could allocate wounds throughout the unit.

It looks great for capturing objectives as they're fast and high wound count! Maybe throw in something that packs a real big punch or a big tar pit unit that'll tie up the opposition?? I don't think it's a lost cause but I also don't think you'll be killing much on the board. It would look awesome though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Papapene said:

I agree with the healing. It's pretty overrated. Would be different if it was like 40k and you could allocate wounds throughout the unit.

It looks great for capturing objectives as they're fast and high wound count! Maybe throw in something that packs a real big punch or a big tar pit unit that'll tie up the opposition?? I don't think it's a lost cause but I also don't think you'll be killing much on the board. It would look awesome though!

Absolutely!  I wouldn't be aiming for anything super effective, just cool looking (it'll probably never happen anyway due to the prohibitive price).  Sadly wouldn't be able to add anything else as it'd prevent the dragon ogres being battleline.

Absolutely!  I wouldn't be aiming for anything super effective, just cool looking (it'll probably never happen anyway due to the prohibitive price).  Sadly wouldn't be able to add anything else as it'd prevent the dragon ogres being battleline.

What about a giant unit of plague bearers?? That's your Battleline and tar pit taken care of?? Maybe throw in Sayl the Faithless so you can throw them up the board 18 inches and right into the oppositions face. Yeah the price tag for the old models is a bit rough, it's a shame caus id love to see more cool themed armies like this.

I think it would be cool to run something like this at 1000 points.

The problem is; at 2000 points you're turning into an army that is themed but is a one trick pony. 

It's very similar to Warherd in terms of a single big character and pretty tough battleline units. But it lacks the ghorgon and cygors to give that extra bit of flavor.

It's a bit of a shame, because I have a shaggoth and I'd like to find a use for him other than a as a daemon prince proxy.

2 hours ago, james.speller said:

I think it would be cool to run something like this at 1000 points.

The problem is; at 2000 points you're turning into an army that is themed but is a one trick pony. 

It's very similar to Warherd in terms of a single big character and pretty tough battleline units. But it lacks the ghorgon and cygors to give that extra bit of flavor.

It's a bit of a shame, because I have a shaggoth and I'd like to find a use for him other than a as a daemon prince proxy.

I'm interested in playing some 1000 point games with different factions. It's a nice size to collect, that doesn't cost too much. It'll make it affordable to get some real variation in games. 

It doesn't have the powerful combat synergy of the Brayherd and without a wizard, there's no way to trigger the limited synergy that it does have.

A wizard would definitely up their effectiveness and boost their healing even more. One plastic kit, with a couple of hero builds in, would be enough to make the faction playable, I think.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:01 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

Well to be honest. 300 bucks for a 2.000 point army is quite cheap if im not mistaken. My worry would be all the conversions to keep the units unique. 

Archived