Rate my list - Stormcast Edition

Mount Franklin

Hey guys,

I'm attending a tournament later this month and would appreciate some pointers for playing Stormcast at 1k.

Here's the list I was thinking of:

Lord Cellestant

Lord Castellant

Liberators x 5 (hammer and shield)

Liberators x5 (hammer and shield)

Judicators x5 (x-bows)

Protectors x5

Retributions x5

I don't currently own the Castellant, but am thinking he might be worth it for the buffs? I'm also slightly concerned at the lack of magic. If someone hero snipes me, then there is literally nothing I can do.

Thoughts?

It's an awfully slow list with very little long ranged support to make stuff come to you. What other models do you own that you could swap out to include in the force?

If you've got access to a realmgate and wanted to try something fun and different I'd suggest dropping the judicators for the Wardens of the Realmgate battalion and a Lord Relictor (to reroll perilous journey). A 1k tournament means you'll be playing on a smaller board, and so you'll be able to drop the Castelent's buff on the Retributors, then drop them behind enemy lines on turn 1 (and will likely be going first with less drops than most lists), and the Protectors in the flank on turn 2. If you were to swap out the Lord Celestant for another hero (Knight Venator? or possibly a battlemage for arcane shield to go with the Castelent's buff) and made the Retributor Prime your general with Reckless you'd be able to almost guarentee a charge too. The buff the battalion gives Protectors isn't to be sniffed at either.

42 minutes ago, Mount Franklin said:

Wow, that sounds like fun, but unfortunately I don't own the realm gates (mine are paper craft ;) ). Can you elect the prime of a unit as general? 

Yep, you can still make any model you want your army general in matched play lists! I often run a miner or ranger champion to take advantage of Reckless when they deep strike!

Use the papercraft realmgates! :P

On 10/3/2016 at 8:42 AM, Mount Franklin said:

I don't currently own the Castellant, but am thinking he might be worth it for the buffs?

Yep, he is worth every point! Throw the +1 save on the retributors and they go from having a decent save to stupidly durable. And he's also perfect for rear defense coupled with units of 10 liberators.

20 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Yep, you can still make any model you want your army general in matched play lists! I often run a miner or ranger champion to take advantage of Reckless when they deep strike!

Use the papercraft realmgates! :P

That's awesome! I bought the two clip-together retributors and am in the middle of converting them with the left over bits from the paladin box. That way the unit will be five and I can make the prime the general :D Can they direct wounds at him if he is general, or can I redirect to the unit?

I just posted a picture of the realmgate on the event page and people seem to be happy with it ^_^

Would you recommend a heraldor? The ability to run and change could be good, especially for the liberators, although I guess they aren't really the hammer (ha) of the army.

16 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Yep, he is worth every point! Throw the +1 save on the retributors and they go from having a decent save to stupidly durable. And he's also perfect for rear defense coupled with units of 10 liberators.

10 liberators would be amazing, but I'll need to split the unit if my shortsighted judicators aren't coming :P That 1+ save will be amazing though if the retributor prime is the general! 

I've played against a heraldor many times and they're terrifying, but totally dependant on the amount of scenery on the board and the experience of the player up against them. If you're playing against someone not used to the them, they can wreck entire armies, especially MSU or warmachines. Personally I'd invest in a Battlemage or Loremaster instead for the points; more flexible and the option to mystic shield really complimenting the castellant's ability.

I'm looking at throwing out some temporary AoS terrain while I get a proper home gaming room sorted - do you have a link the the papercraft realmgates you mentioned? :)

On 5 October 2016 at 10:28 PM, Double Misfire said:

I've played against a heraldor many times and they're terrifying, but totally dependant on the amount of scenery on the board and the experience of the player up against them. If you're playing against someone not used to the them, they can wreck entire armies, especially MSU or warmachines. Personally I'd invest in a Battlemage or Loremaster instead for the points; more flexible and the option to mystic shield really complimenting the castellant's ability.

I'm looking at throwing out some temporary AoS terrain while I get a proper home gaming room sorted - do you have a link the the papercraft realmgates you mentioned? :)

I trialled out a lawmaster last night and, man, those rerolls are amazing! I think the one major problem with the list is the separation it causes between the army. Send a unit through the gate buffed and next turn it looses all the benefits of the leaders. 

I bought the gate from worldworksgames, but currently the website doesn't seem to be working? Not going to lie, I've been wondering about their business model and how they actually stayed afloat. I suspect if you look hard enough on the net, you should be able to find a copy :)

On 10/3/2016 at 5:28 AM, Double Misfire said:

It's an awfully slow list with very little long ranged support to make stuff come to you. What other models do you own that you could swap out to include in the force?

If you've got access to a realmgate and wanted to try something fun and different I'd suggest dropping the judicators for the Wardens of the Realmgate battalion and a Lord Relictor (to reroll perilous journey). A 1k tournament means you'll be playing on a smaller board, and so you'll be able to drop the Castelent's buff on the Retributors, then drop them behind enemy lines on turn 1 (and will likely be going first with less drops than most lists), and the Protectors in the flank on turn 2. If you were to swap out the Lord Celestant for another hero (Knight Venator? or possibly a battlemage for arcane shield to go with the Castelent's buff) and made the Retributor Prime your general with Reckless you'd be able to almost guarentee a charge too. The buff the battalion gives Protectors isn't to be sniffed at either.

Could you help me understand this some more.  Does the realm gate cost any points to take?  Your teleporting the Retributors using the battalion ability?  Doesnt the unit have to be dead or off the board to move it?  Also what is perilous journey?

23 minutes ago, Votters said:

Could you help me understand this some more.  Does the realm gate cost any points to take?  Your teleporting the Retributors using the battalion ability?  Doesnt the unit have to be dead or off the board to move it?  Also what is perilous journey?

Wardens of the Realmgate is a warscroll battalion included in the Stormcast Eternals battletome that allows you to set up a Baleful Realmgate in addition to the models listed in it (I haven't posted a screencap of the page it's on because I'm unsure of the legality of posting it here). The warscroll battalion costs 80 points in matched play.

Baleful Realmgates telephoning models and the Perilous Journey rule can be explained on the Baleful Realmgate warscroll available on the GW website:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/scenery/aos-balefulrealmgate-en.pdf

:) 

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Taking a realmgate cost any points?  I am building up a 1000pt army using this battalion,  not sure what to do with the last 120 points. Do I take a Lord Cellestant as well?

Leaders
Lord Castellant (100)
Lord Relictor (80)

Units
Paladin Protectors x 5 (200)
Liberators x 5 (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
Liberators x 5 (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
Paladin Retributors x 5 (220)

Batallions
Wardens of the Realmgate (80)