Airbrushing a basecoat

LunarLizard

I went to basecoat/Prime my new Lord-Castellant. I usually use the GW black Spray can, but it was bitter cold, blowing a gale and to top it off pouring with rain when I got in. 

So i thought I could possibly have a back up.... my air brush. My issue with this was I have not base coated a whole model in black with an airbrush before. 

Has anyone got any tips on which of the GW Citadel black paints are good as a base coat and how thin do you make it for airbrushing?

Thanks in advance.

Vallejo has an airbrush primer for black. I found you still need to thin that down a wee bit, as it clogs up the airbrush otherwise.

For GW paints, i believe GW has the Imperial Primer pot. Air Caste thinner can be added to taste to make sure it doesn't clog up.

As to how thin your mixes have to be. That depends a bit on the paint. I have gotten away with pure airbrush paint, and with a different colour i then find i need to thin it more. Experience is your best companion, so don't be afraid to just try it out. I'm sure you have some empty boxes from your models, or some empty sprues, try it on that first. Notice how the paint reacts, and adjust. 

Good Luck

Vallejo Surface Primers are great, I use them for all priming either black or white depending on what base colour I'm going for. I only use GW paints, for spraying a base coat I get a new pot of GW paint, and fill it up to the top with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, give it a good shake and it's good to go :) 

4 hours ago, Knight of Ruin said:

Vallejo has an airbrush primer for black. I found you still need to thin that down a wee bit, as it clogs up the airbrush otherwise.

For GW paints, i believe GW has the Imperial Primer pot. Air Caste thinner can be added to taste to make sure it doesn't clog up.

As to how thin your mixes have to be. That depends a bit on the paint. I have gotten away with pure airbrush paint, and with a different colour i then find i need to thin it more. Experience is your best companion, so don't be afraid to just try it out. I'm sure you have some empty boxes from your models, or some empty sprues, try it on that first. Notice how the paint reacts, and adjust. 

Good Luck

2 hours ago, amysnuggs said:

Vallejo Surface Primers are great, I use them for all priming either black or white depending on what base colour I'm going for. I only use GW paints, for spraying a base coat I get a new pot of GW paint, and fill it up to the top with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, give it a good shake and it's good to go :) 

Looks like I will get some Vallejo Primer then - thaks guys 

I have a large Citadel selection of paints and as of last night I started transferring them into empty Vallejo bottles and then thinning them down. I am hoping I can then save paint in the long run  and will be the same consistency for airbrushing and brushing at the same time! 

I still have all my Stormcasts to paint!! but I'm working on a special theme.

• 3 weeks later...

My vallejo Base paint arrived. 

:)

While we are on the subject of airbrushing, how have you all got it set up, at the moment I just have a shoebox that catches the paint on the back, but do any of you use extractors and stuff or masks? 

I use a box to form a back and sides, with my side nearest the window with an extractor fan set up, and I always wear a respirator designed to filter particles like aerosol paints. I'm just not a fan of the idea of inhaling tiny paint particles.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have built a spray booth out of wood, it's got a nice shelf on top so I can swap out paints. It's big enough that I've got a Lazy Susan inside, so I don't have to handle models as much. I can just spin the lazy susan around. I wear one of these, it make me feel like Immortan Joe

81-KUZfrylL._SL1500_.jpg

Archived