Do Horror Unending (warscroll battalion) and Nexus of Death Energy (mortis engine) stack, or do they override each other?

TheBDU

Question

Do Horror Unending (warscroll battalion) and Nexus of Death Energy (mortis engine) stack, or do they override each other?

Horror Unending:
Each time you pick a friendly SOULBLIGHT GRAVELORDS SUMMONABLE unit wholly within 12" of a friendly SOULBLIGHT GRAVELORDS HERO in this battalion using the Deathly Invocation battle trait, you can either heal up to 6 wounds allocated to that unit instead of 3 or, if no wounds have been allocated to that unit, you can return a number of slain models to it that have a combined Wounds characteristic of 6 or less instead of 3 or less.

Nexus of Death Energy:
Each time you pick a friendly SOULBLIGHT GRAVELORDS SUMMONABLE unit wholly within 12" of this unit using the Deathly Invocation battle trait, you can either heal up to D3+3 wounds allocated to that unit instead of 3 or, if no wounds have been allocated to that unit, you can return a number of slain models to it that have a combined Wounds characteristic of D3+3 or less instead of 3 or less.

If a summonable unit is within range of both effects, does it get D3+6 wounds, or do you have to pick between 6 and D3+3? This is for Path to Glory which allows for warscroll battalions.

4 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

If there's a batallion where you can include a Mortis Engine, yes.

I've done a quick search and doesn't seem to be one that accepts it. There's one that accept Corpse Cart (which is the closest batallion whise in terms of a big thingy), but its keywords are different from the Mortis Engine.

Just to be clear, I'm not wondering if the mortis engine is allowed in the battalion, I'm wondering if the 2 effects can both trigger on a unit due to the wording. The confusion for me is because they both say "wounds allocated to that unit instead of 3". If they said add 3 to the roll or add D3 to the roll it would be very clear. It's the fact that they say "instead of 3" where I'm not sure if they can both affect the same unit as when you add one modifier, the standard 3 from Deathly Invocation has already been replaced.

Edited by TheBDU

On 11/15/2023 at 12:13 AM, Beliman said:

It's a bit tricky because both abilities replace (instead of) the 3 recovered wounds from Deathly Invocation.
You can only replace (upgrade) one time that ability, unless I miss something.

Thanks this is what I wanted to know. I think you're right as it's a replacement so you can't do it twice. Thanks!