Utter Loonacy: The continuation of an inconsistent and deranged Gloomspite project

Taerg Ad Ywons

Hi everyone, I am Taerg. This is an attempt at some consistency and discipline towards hobbying as I do get distracted by new projects. The aim of the game is to turn unbuilt and unpainted minis into a fighting force on the tabletop. I used to play Orcs and Gobbos back in the Warhammer Fantasy days and am curious about The Old World when the Orcs finally drop for that.

Now for a bit of a story:

Once upon a time, Taerg decided to cash out of his MTG collection and got a fair bit of store credit for it when he did. He was going to finish off his Hedonites of Slaanesh force and had a Keeper of Secrets, both Twins, and some daemonettes in his grubby little hands when the Bad Moon appeared before him and spaketh thusly:

"Taerg, if ya don't start gitz I'm gonna fly up ya nose and neither of us wants dat"

"No Mr Bad Moon, we don't"
"Mr Bad Moon, SIR"
"Yes Mr Bad Moon Sir"
"MISTER Mr Bad Moon Sir"

And then the Bad Moon whizzed off into the distance, leaving behind a vaguely cheese-scented cloud of loondust. Good for the lungs, it is.

Taerg, befuddled and bewildered gazed about the store to see what gloomspite models were available to enact the Bad Moon's command. He spyed a big box, several medium boxes, and a few of these were out of print so he yelled "BEGONE THOTS" and held off on finishing his Hedonites and started some Utter Loonacy.

The End?

I lucked out big time when cashing out of my MTG collection and found the following in a hobby store:

-The Squigalanche box (score!)
-SC! Gitz
-Both Dawnbringer Gitz boxes
-Some Squig Hoppers to round out the store credit

Truly, Da Bad Moon has blessed me with Mystical Brain Goo that leaks out my ears every now and then. Perfectly normal, Da Bad Moon assures me. I'm not sure about getting the regular goblins for the gitz force, as I'm more of a troll/squig kinda guy. I shall endeavour to post WIP pics of building and painting the force, though it may be quite inconsistent as it's dependent on me remembering to take photos. For now, there's a lot of building in my future.

Stay gloomy and gittish,

Taerg

IMG_3824.JPG

• Like 6

It is! I have a couple of Dankholds in the post and am eagerly awaiting Fellwaters to come back in stock. Aiming to have nine of each, of the smaller troggs but we'll see.

To prove I am doing stuff (and to appease Da Bad Moon) I've built the SC! Box and it's a lot of fun, spoiled for options with the stone trolls- nine heads, enough arms to make six bodies and a few option gubbins I left off as I don't trust myself not to break them accidentally (much like the squig herder option with mushie-on-a-stick, that snapped right off the moment I tried to clip it out).

I figure assemble everything, then paint as I can mull over colour schemes, ensure I don't forget any colour recipes, and even to try and get a game or two in if I'm lucky. Not sure if I want to do the classic tomato red squigs, or go with the lurid and bright multicolour herds. On the one hand, red-orange is the direct complement to the blue-green of the git flesh, but on the other hand, multicolour squig herds look cool when done well. On the other other hand, I'm not sure of my painting ability to pick and choose a non-standard paint scheme. On the other other other hand, I am usually indecisive about this stuff so might just ponder the orb consult the Internet's image supply for inspiration.  That said, basing needs to be taken into consideration...

Stay gloomy and gittish,

Taerg

IMG_3825.JPG

• Like 2

Yeah the Rockguts kit is one of the best i ever build. Its fun to pick how u want to build them. Wish GW made more multipart kits like that. I would advise to just paint what u like most. Looking at other much better painters for inspiration usually does me more harm than good. Oh and if u have fiddly bits to cut out it can be helpfull to cut out a bigger part of the sprue before cutting close to the model, it should get less stress.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy building (and being a "productive and responsible member of society")- all troggs barring the second dankhold are built. Said unbuilt dankhold will become a troggboss, then I'll await the sun to show its face so I can prime things. It has been a little damp this Spring, but I'd rather that than Summer Lite.

Not sure how I want to paint the dankholds- the purple scheme on GW's site does not interest me, I'm thinking something that'll allow me to go a bit ham on the mushroom decorations. Building the stone trolls/rockgut troggs were a blast! I enjoyed putting the goat and goblin bits together to make it look like a certain someone was joyriding and got into a bit of a pickle.

Only two full torso repeats as I'm a sucker for crystals. Not in a new age healing kinda way but I like the transition metal chemistry behind their colours and also I'm a fantasy goblin modeler and a sucker for crystal caverns. I just love locales like the Elder's Recess, Hollow Bastion, LoZ Ice Caverns, Mor Dhona, etc. My brain just likes clear, translucent things. If anyone knows any places to get translucent 3d prints of crystal growths, help a gobbo out, will ya? I needs 'em for, uh, reasons.

Gonna go with classic, or near enough colour-wise for the stone trolls. Trugg, I think I might paint a bit brighter than the usual GW art. Dankhold boss will be done in a similar pale scheme.

I also built another Mangler Squig (built as the loonboos) so the squigalanche ones will just be regular manglers. Might be able to cobble up a giant squig or three from the spares once everything is built. So many bitz, I love it!

Progress thus far:

Painted:

• Nothing (booo!)

Built:

• Trugg's Great Troggherd
  • Start Collecting: Gitz
  • Loonboss on Mangler Squig

Unbuilt:

• Squigalanche
  • Boingrots
  • Braggit's bottlesnatchas
  • Dankhold Troggboss

Still waiting on fellwaters to come back in stock \_(;-;)_/
Still debating on repurposing old WHFB goblins and skip out on ToW

As always, stay gloomy and gittish

-Taerg

IMG_3829[1].JPG

IMG_3830[1].JPG

Edited by Taerg Ad Ywons
  • Like 2

• Taerg Ad Ywons changed the title to Utter Loonacy: The continuation of an inconsistent and deranged Gloomspite project
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for not really posting here, I've been stuck in a bit of a holding pattern due a move soon. That and really bad, unseasonable weather wherein it's been annoyingly damp. I am however, going to be spicing things up a little as ToW is launching and I do want to kinda-sorta port some of the squigly stuff over to that (never had squig herds back in WHFB, too expensive for a unit and the Manglers were finecast!). 

As the AUD prices for launch boxes will require some serious savings on my part (I'm going to wait til High Elves and/or Dwarfs hit, to get a smaller army). That said, I've done a tally of my O+G force and there's a lot that was accumulated over the years. Some 100+ orcs for starters, inc around 50 arrow boys (that sweet, sweet, BS3 shooting)  and a classic metal wyvern! I'm looking forward to rebasing that and painting him up.

What this means is that true to Greenskin form, this'll be a little inconsistent for a while I roll all the animosity dice.