Need help expanding my Flesh Eater Court

wayniac

Hi all I'm a new player, I've only had two AOS games so far (I last played WHFB like 18 years ago in 5th edition and 40k 15 years ago in 3rd).  I picked Flesh Eater Courts as my army after reading their awesome fluff, and I bought the boxed army "King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host" and built it as described (this was before I realized I would not be able to use the included battalion in Matched Play due to not having points).

I'm looking to expand, but I'm not sure army wise, mainly because FEC have such a limited choice and since I'm a "fluff purist" I really can't think of any real reasons to ally in other Death factions (although I briefly considered including a Morghast unit as "angelic messengers").  None of the battalions really jump out at me so far, but my area is decidedly in the "Matched Play is the only Way" camp.

Now obviously the way to expand is to purchase at least one Start Collecting box, and likely 2 or more.  What I'm unsure of is some basic things, namely:

* Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (which I have already) or Zombie Dragon?  The Zombie Dragon seems a little bit better.  Due to Matched Play, I basically do not get a Command Ability so that's not a factor at all.

* How many Ghouls do I want, is it better to have more units or larger units?  I've had to split mine into two units of 10 for Battleline purposes (for fluff reasons I refuse to have anyone other than the King be the General)

* Crypt Horrors seem definitely better than Crypt Flayers, but I like the speed of the Flayers. 

* As a general rule, one Courtier for each unit of regular guys?

Basically I am not sure what would make a solid 2,000 point army that's fluffy and competitive, because I don't want to go full "cheese" but I also want to win.  As stated above I really don't want to include more than pure FEC from aesthetic purposes (barring the Morghast idea which I might do because it sounds cool) but being new I'm not quite sure about the different items or traits that I want or what makes for a solid FEC army since Matched Play removes the ability to summon new units.

Any assistance, fellow Death minions?

I would prefer Open Play, but my area jumped onto the GHB and now it's basically Matched Play or No Play.  Which sucks because originally I was going to look at collecting enough for the entire Flesh Eater Courts mega-battlion, but now thanks to GHB I'm basically going to build this 2000 points, find something I'm happy with, and that's it and move on to another army afterwards.

I'm mainly not sure of which battalions are the most useful to look at (still getting used to them costing points!) and whether I should build my second terrorgheist/zombie dragon/ghoul king on the Dragon when I get the SC box, since I already have one on Terrorgheist, or build the Dragon itself and a king on foot (the contact points seem way too flimsy to like try to magnetize or anything so I can have a king on foot or on the beast)

About choising about Dragon and terror there is an omnipotent answer: magnets.

About Battliaons they are almost all goods. You can try to put down a list of the units you want to play and then see if there is some battleion that allowa you to do it or the opposite.

Anyway, whit the big force you bought you can do a nice list.

you can use a lot of different battalion:

Attendants at courts, Deadwatch, Abattoir, king ghouls, Royal mordants

If you use the courtier of the horrors or the flyers as general you hav ethem as Battlelines, so you don't have to worry about them.

You arrive without problems to 2k points without too much worry if that is your perplexity.

Personally I magnetize almost everything so I don't find a problem to move from a battlaion to another or change options.

Archived