Grot Fanatics Set up

grunnlock

The rule "Release the Fanatics!" is written as next:

"Instead of setting up this unit normally, you can place it to one side and say it is set up in hiding..."

But would you still count that as one deployment drop? Or do all units of fanatics you might have are hiding and so don't count during the deployment/setup phase?

I think everyones off the mark here. Label each Moonclan unit, stick a label on the bottom of this guy with the squad he is in and when it's time to engage with him he pops up. Label any squad that can take him to keep them guessing. When every Gobin fanatic is deployed, labels can be removed when all the fanatics are deployed. Of course each Goblin matches a unit.

The unit's meant to break the rules, goblins are cheating little gits.

So you guys don't even mention to your opponent that they exist in play?

The way I've done it, is when it's my turn to place a unit I give the old "I'm placing a unit of fanatics into one of my moonclan units." Then it's their turn. I'll have to reread the warscroll - but from what I remember, this seems like the proper way to me.

Firstly, they are written on the list (and have to be written in the correct increments - e.g. a 3, a 3, and 3 ones - I think a lot of people play that wrong as they are not used to the fixed nature of the list in contrast to SCGT pack). Secondly, I tell my opponent at the end of deployment that I have 3, 3, 1, 1 and 1 fanatics hidden within the Moonclan units. So there's no surprise.

Thinking about Escalation, this would completely wreck a typical Moonclan list of say 3 blocks of 40 Grots, and a bunch or heroes and monsters, if you were to say that the Fanatics don't go down with the Grot units. The player is forced to put the Grots down first as Battleline, so if they are denied the ability to put in the fanatics, what then? It makes no sense for them to be wave 2 and to magically appear in the units already deployed. 

Yeah you do tell your opponent.  'instead of setting this unit up normally' is the first line in the rule, they are hiding within a unit and deployed at the same time. You then secretly write down where the Fanatics are hiding. If the unit the Fanatics are hiding in is destroyed, the Fanatics are destroyed as well. For all intents and purposes, until revealed they are the same unit. Just as an example, you wouldn't in the movement phase before they are revealed say 'Now I'm moving my Fanatics'. 

Counting them as part of a moonclan grots unit sounds like the best option to me too, otherwise fanatics would be unplayable as they'd increase considerably the number of deployment drops. Not to mention they would be completely unusable in Escalation scenario, as Nico noted.

1 hour ago, grunnlock said:

Counting them as part of a moonclan grots unit sounds like the best option to me too, otherwise fanatics would be unplayable as they'd increase considerably the number of deployment drops. Not to mention they would be completely unusable in Escalation scenario, as Nico noted.

The "unplayable" way is how @Andy Talbot and I played it at the Facehammer GT this weekend. It didn't disadvantage me, in fact I think it could even be an advantage, as you can pick and choose where you want Fanatics as the battle progresses. A useful little boon, imo.

The "unplayable" way is how @Andy Talbot and I played it at the Facehammer GT this weekend. It didn't disadvantage me, in fact I think it could even be an advantage, as you can pick and choose where you want Fanatics as the battle progresses. A useful little boon, imo.

Fine, but then you're gaining a (minor) advantage. I can see a different opponent objecting and then saying you cannot deploy the Fanatics at all, because they cannot deploy into the units already on the table; and you have to put down the blocks of Grots first as they are Battleline - so you're stuffed and lose the game automatically. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

As with the paired units (Auric Runesmiter plus Fyreslayer Unit, Warp Grinder plus Skaven Unit), I cannot see how these would not be treated as a single drop, since the rules indicate you put them to one side together.

Archived