Dettol stripping problem

Broken

I heard Dettol was a good way to strip paint from plastics so I picked up a bottle, stuck a model in and thought this is bloody brilliant as in 5 hours all the paint has blistered and then fallen off. Then I put the rest of my army in and let it 24 hours but I had a huge problem when I went to clean them up with a tooth brush after.

The primer appears to have become some kind of ultra tacky gunk that won't shift. I use army painter primer and I've noticed it's done this before with different paint removal techniques but I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the black gunk. It will attach to Kitchen roll (or you hands and then take 20 minutes of scrubbing with a rough cloth) but it defies a tooth brush or anything sensible to get at it. Has any one found a nice way to remove it? Maybe a 2 stage stripping process as opposed to 1 and being a scrubber?

The black gunk you speak of is what you get when you use water to clean off the Detol and paint.  When I'm stripping miniatures I use Detol whilst scrubbing (with gloves on) to remove as much of the paint as possible, then when it comes time to clean the Detol off I first use neat dish washing liquid and scrub it again so it goes all foamy, then finally rinse and scrub with water.

I'm not sure of the best way to remove this gunk, but maybe soaking in Detol again might work.  Another good option for stripping models is Biostip 20, which I believe is water soluble. 

I use Biostrip 20 on metal models but it melts some plastics (melts bases at least). I haven't tried it on other any non-privateer press plastics but I imagine they would melt too.

I don't have enough Dettol to wash the gunk off with, I'll have to pick up a new bottle and give it a try. Thanks.

I have a largeish dirty tuppware that I throw the models in then I just keep reusing it and topping it up.  The paint settles to the bottom and it seems to keep taking the paint off.  I dip the toothbrush in to pick up some of the Detol then scrub the minis, as long as you don't use any water at this stage the paint comes off fairly easily.

I use Nail POLISH remover for my plastic models and Nail remover for my metal ones.

VERY important difference those two the fake nail remover is way to strong.

One thing to be wary of is some of the much older GW plastics did seem to react slightly. Only happened once but its worth testing first.

As for stripping the paint off. tooth brush works fine for the majority but the best thing i ever did was make a little stripping brush.

Just find a brush thats past its prime (standard size or smaller) and clip the bristles to they are just a few MM long andare quire rigid. This will let you get to the small gaps and details.

PS add a few more mm to where you clip and ou can make some small sized dry brushes!

Archived