Priest lore

JackOfBlades

13 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

Say an auric runemaster turns to Chaos, can he still call on the invocations he used to or will they be impossible for him to conjure (whether in their original state or in a corrupted/enslaved state)?

1) Gonna need some context here, is this a hypothetical for an army, or a Soulbound campaign character?

2) If option 2, then most likely yes, since Grimnir is technically a "dead" god so in theory the priest is only calling upon the power of the (presumably corrupted) Ur-Gold in his body.

3) If option 1, rule of cool and rule of fun override almost everything under the sun.

4) Regardless, your priest is a heretic and should report to the nearest Chaos Guardian outpost before Gotrek finds him.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Twisted Firaun said:

1) Gonna need some context here, is this a hypothetical for an army, or a Soulbound campaign character?

2) If option 2, then most likely yes, since Grimnir is technically a "dead" god so in theory the priest is only calling upon the power of the (presumably corrupted) Ur-Gold in his body.

3) If option 1, rule of cool and rule of fun override almost everything under the sun.

4) Regardless, your priest is a heretic and should report to the nearest Chaos Guardian outpost before Gotrek finds him.

Short answer: It's for an army. I am daydreaming of a Fyreslayers hold which has come under the influence of my Keeper of Secrets, after being inspired by the Ur-Gold and Glimmerlust lores and this short story. I like endless spells and invocations in general, so i wanted to include priests to cast that stuff and that required me to think of the narrative possibility for it.

Long answer:
A Keeper of Secrets became infatuated with Ur-Gold and sought to usurp it. The keeper enlists an unknowing Runemaster's service through an intermediate, to fight a campaign. At one stage the runemaster, his friend and a small company are undertaking a mission, and under suspicious circumstances the mission fails and the friend becomes missing in action. Since that day doubt and worry nestle into the runemaster, until the friend reappears in private during a celebration with the local people at the campaign's conclusion. A few odd new tics aside, he congratulates and reassures the runemaster but for some reason asks that he not be revealed to the rest of the fyreslayers. The runemaster complies either because he thinks it's an innocuous request, or is oathbound to comply, or chooses to comply out of respect for his friend (perhaps the friend saved the runemaster's life on the mission, just before disappearing). Everyone returns to the hold, but the friend comes in secret to all but the runemaster and stays hidden in the runemaster's rooms.

From there the friend sways the runemaster into more dubious contracts for acquiring Ur-Gold, always motivated by necessity of the hold's dire circumstances. As fingers begin to be pointed at the runemaster, the friend nurtures the runemaster's self-pity. A schism forms in the hold between those who are faithful to the old ways and those who argue for the necessity or good sense of the runemaster's way.

That's all i very roughly have yet. I plan for the "friend" to coax the runemaster into Glimmerlust, leading through sin to culminate in the runemaster's betrayal of his hold and uprising as the corruption spreads from the high place meant to guard against it. The daemon then finally reveals itself, and when the civil war is over it asserts its leadership of the corrupted faction. The runemaster's faction loses the insurrection and have to establish a new hold. It becomes an unspeakable stain, as those fyreslayers give themselves to Glimmerlust and the influence of Slaanesh. And now, the Ur-Gold they gather is not only for themselves but to feed their benefactor's hunger for it. Leering as they sacrilege, driven by the repugnant vigour of Slaanesh as they dishonor, the corrupted fyreslayers become an evil and a tragedy abound...
End of long answer 😄

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 6:21 PM, JackOfBlades said:

Short answer: It's for an army. I am daydreaming of a Fyreslayers hold which has come under the influence of my Keeper of Secrets, after being inspired by the Ur-Gold and Glimmerlust lores and this short story. I like endless spells and invocations in general, so i wanted to include priests to cast that stuff and that required me to think of the narrative possibility for it.

Long answer:
A Keeper of Secrets became infatuated with Ur-Gold and sought to usurp it. The keeper enlists an unknowing Runemaster's service through an intermediate, to fight a campaign. At one stage the runemaster, his friend and a small company are undertaking a mission, and under suspicious circumstances the mission fails and the friend becomes missing in action. Since that day doubt and worry nestle into the runemaster, until the friend reappears in private during a celebration with the local people at the campaign's conclusion. A few odd new tics aside, he congratulates and reassures the runemaster but for some reason asks that he not be revealed to the rest of the fyreslayers. The runemaster complies either because he thinks it's an innocuous request, or is oathbound to comply, or chooses to comply out of respect for his friend (perhaps the friend saved the runemaster's life on the mission, just before disappearing). Everyone returns to the hold, but the friend comes in secret to all but the runemaster and stays hidden in the runemaster's rooms.

From there the friend sways the runemaster into more dubious contracts for acquiring Ur-Gold, always motivated by necessity of the hold's dire circumstances. As fingers begin to be pointed at the runemaster, the friend nurtures the runemaster's self-pity. A schism forms in the hold between those who are faithful to the old ways and those who argue for the necessity or good sense of the runemaster's way.

That's all i very roughly have yet. I plan for the "friend" to coax the runemaster into Glimmerlust, leading through sin to culminate in the runemaster's betrayal of his hold and uprising as the corruption spreads from the high place meant to guard against it. The daemon then finally reveals itself, and when the civil war is over it asserts its leadership of the corrupted faction. The runemaster's faction loses the insurrection and have to establish a new hold. It becomes an unspeakable stain, as those fyreslayers give themselves to Glimmerlust and the influence of Slaanesh. And now, the Ur-Gold they gather is not only for themselves but to feed their benefactor's hunger for it. Leering as they sacrilege, driven by the repugnant vigour of Slaanesh as they dishonor, the corrupted fyreslayers become an evil and a tragedy abound...
End of long answer 😄

Funnily enough, I'm planning to do a Chaos Dwarf army based on the exact Slaanesh Short-Story, so I understand the desire to take the bearded bois to the dark side. Out of curiosity, will you be doing any conversions/kit-bashes? or is it just paint schemes for now?

On 2/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, Twisted Firaun said:

Funnily enough, I'm planning to do a Chaos Dwarf army based on the exact Slaanesh Short-Story, so I understand the desire to take the bearded bois to the dark side. Out of curiosity, will you be doing any conversions/kit-bashes? or is it just paint schemes for now?

Oh 😅 Im thinking of mounting them on horrible monstrosities and abominations as proxies for magmadroths if i ran lofnir, but thats all ive thought of for now - and dont have a paint scheme yet. But i think i want the colors to make them look sickly and ominous. It's far off since im waiting on the new slaanesh book to start that army. Do you have any backstory for your force?

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:37 AM, JackOfBlades said:

Oh 😅 Im thinking of mounting them on horrible monstrosities and abominations as proxies for magmadroths if i ran lofnir, but thats all ive thought of for now - and dont have a paint scheme yet. But i think i want the colors to make them look sickly and ominous. It's far off since im waiting on the new slaanesh book to start that army. Do you have any backstory for your force?

@JackOfBlades, sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. To answer your question, so far I have it that my eventual/hopeful chorf army worships both Hashut and Slaanesh (or at least a powerful Daemon pretending to be him/her) as their proverbial "mother" and "father." Hashut pushes them to build epic monstrosities, while "Slaanesh" encourages them to ever expand their opulent empire. Their color scheme is going to be blue and burgundy with a brass trim. Naturally, I'm both waiting on the new slaanesh tome and for Chaos Dwarfs to be a thing again before I begin this project.

• Like 1