Suddenly Skaven!

ElectricPaladin

So, I was hanging out at my FLGS, being depressed because the dude who was supposed to play me canceled, and I saw a box sitting in the corner. It had a sticky on it that said "Free to a Good Home." Inside, I found rattos! Specifically, a small Skaven army, some ancient sculpts, all square-based (of course). I am now the proud - if somewhat surprised - owner of a small Skaven force.

After conferring with a Skaven vet, I discovered that my new collection includes:

• 27 rats with swords and shields, including a standard bearer and a musician.
  • 7 stormvermin, also including a musician and a standard bearer
  • 1 rat ogre
  • 4 gutter runners
  • 1 rattling gun
  • 2 grey seers
  • 1 skaven warlord

The question is, what kind of Skaven army can I build with these? Which clan does my collection suggest? What are the clans like - pitch me on your favorite! And so on.

3 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

So, I was hanging out at my FLGS, being depressed because the dude who was supposed to play me canceled, and I saw a box sitting in the corner. It had a sticky on it that said "Free to a Good Home." Inside, I found rattos! Specifically, a small Skaven army, some ancient sculpts, all square-based (of course). I am now the proud - if somewhat surprised - owner of a small Skaven force.

After conferring with a Skaven vet, I discovered that my new collection includes:

• 27 rats with swords and shields, including a standard bearer and a musician.
  • 7 stormvermin, also including a musician and a standard bearer
  • 1 rat ogre
  • 4 gutter runners
  • 1 rattling gun
  • 2 grey seers
  • 1 skaven warlord

The question is, what kind of Skaven army can I build with these? Which clan does my collection suggest? What are the clans like - pitch me on your favorite! And so on.

First of, congrats on a new army. A free army is the best army :D

Models wise you're at a bit of a disadvantage however. You can get 920 points out of them as they stand now, but then you're paying for 3 clanrats, 3 storm vermin, 1 rat ogre, and 1 gutter runner that you don't have. My suggestion would be to treat this as a starting point and see how you want to expand.

As far as the clans go, most of your stuff, the clanrats, stormvermin and the warlord, are Verminus. Unfortunately, all the toys are in the other clans, but if you want to mix them up you'll need clanrats as battle line units. So you'll need another 3, and them split them up into 3 units of 10. Stormvermin are very popular, so that's not a bad place to go afterwards. From there, get all the cool toys you like :) The start collecting Pestilence box is a great deal, giving you 20 plague monks, a screaming bell or a plague furnace, and a warplightning cannon or a plague claw catapult.

Archived