Retreat, Disengage and Redeploy

Beliman

Question

Kharadrons Overlord's Ships have a teleport (set-up) called High Fly:

Spoiler

Instead of making a normal move or retreat with this model, if there are less than X wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models.

So, instead of making a normal move or retreat, I can use a set-up ability (teleport), but "it can disengage". Disengage is another ability that adds a new feature to a retreat move:

Spoiler

This model and any models in its garrison can still shoot if this model retreats in the same turn, as long as there are no enemy units that can fly within 3" of this model at the start of the retreat move and there are less than 10 wounds allocated to this model at the start of the retreat move.

It's a bit rare, because there is a FAQ that talks about Normal Move and Set ups, but not Retreats:

Spoiler

Q: Some abilities allow a unit to be set up ‘instead of making a normal move’. Does a unit set up with such an ability count as having moved?
A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

I assume that a Retreat works exactly like a Normal Move. Why I need to retreat instead of just Fly High?  Nobody knows, but there is a FAQ that adds the Disengage bonus to a Fly High (?) ability as if a set up was a Retreat:

Spoiler

Q: If I use the Fly High ability to disengage with a unit, can that unit still shoot or charge later in the same turn?
A: It can still shoot as per the Disengage ability but it cannot charge.

Note: That's not a nerf to KO ships, it's a "bonus". We can shoot because we have disengage!

And how this interact with a Redeploy?

Spoiler

You can use this command ability in the enemy movement phase after an enemy unit finishes a normal moverun or retreat. The unit that receives the command must be within 9" of that enemy unit and more than 3" from all enemy units. You can make a D6" move with the unit that receives the command, but it must finish the move more than 3" from all enemy units and cannot shoot later in the turn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION:
Why a Disengage (remember, it's a bonus to a Retreat move) is used with the High Fly ability?

I'm not sure about the answer, but if a Set-up ability counts as a Retreat move (as Disengage suggest), can I use CA Redeploy if something is set-up within 9" of my units in the movement phase if that unit was engaged in melee before their tp?

Edited by Beliman

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm not sure about the answer, but if a Set-up ability counts as a Retreat move (as Disengage suggest), can I use CA Redeploy if something is set-up within 9" of my units in the movement phase if they were engaged before?

My answer would be that Fly High limitations (outside 9" of enemy unit) mean that the something in question will never be set-up within 9" of your units

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

My answer would be that Fly High limitations (outside 9" of enemy unit) mean that the something in question will never be set-up within 9" of your units

Best answer!
I'm only focused on KOs and I'm not sure if there is any other setup ability that can be used within 7" or 6" of enemy units.

Edited by Beliman

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Best answer!
I'm only focused on KOs and I'm not sure if there is any other setup ability that can be used within 7" or 6" of enemy units.

There are (Lord Imperatant allows one unit of THUNDESTRIKE stormcast to use scions of the storm and arrive outside of 7" from enemy units) but they are clearly set ups and not normal moves/retreat so no Redeploy either

• Thanks 1