Lord Cedric

Long time war game player from back in 1994. First got into Warhammer Fantasy with Bretonnians (still my favorite theme!). Since then I've amassed a collection of 15 Warhammer Fantasy armies with pre-AoS base points ranging from 4k to 15k. Since then, I have created a war game club, LoreMaster's, which is now registered here on TGA and it's own website, as well as help organize a few local events.

I now play Star Wars X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, Flames of War, Wings of Glory WWII, Mordheim, Infinity, Malifaux, Warhammer Ancients, Hail Caesar, dabble a bit into 40K. 

I was very slow with mixed emotions about AoS. Not really about the game mechanics (though with 5 other Warhammer rule sets swimming in my head.. AoS REALLY had me messed up! lol) but because of the loss of 30 years of lore and background. My favorite atmosphere to play. I helped organize a couple tournaments and AoS events even though my heart really wasn't into is as much. BUT... I kept listening to GarageHammer and David Witek in order to keep-up on the current happenings as well as a few other forum websites. He really helped to keep a flame lit on my candle. 

At first all I had was the battleline info from the original starter box.. and it was too different and not well-defined coming from a hectic End-Times and Fantasy 8th 'n previous. But I thought to myself..."I'm missing something". THEN... it "hit" me. Scenarios. Themed battles. It wasn't until I decided to actually buy the first RealmGate Wars scenario book and actually read it that the game started to click. And then.. (and THIS took a while!) round bases began to grow on me!

So.. here I am now. A decent Stormcast, Bloodbound, Sylvaneth, Ironjawz armies collected (and some painted!), have all the current battletomes and only missing a couple of the Realmgate Wars campaign books. Of course.. I've bought hundreds of round bases to switch-out my Fantasy armies (my OCD will drive me nuts if I dont'!) squares and so far have helped get 3 locals into AoS along with several more interested! I'm hoping to start up a Path To Glory campaign soon... not bad for a 41 year old. hehe.

- Lord Cedric

Welcome to TGA! 

As a new wargamer I'm curious as to why Warhammer Fantasy players don't continue to play Warhammer Fantasy? You have the books and multiple armies,  you like the system... Why give up on it? You don't need Games Workshop in order to enjoy your game. 

I still play my old video games. Sometimes I even re-buy them just for the convenience of not switching console. I'm pretty sure I'll still play Descent 2nd ed in 25 years with my grandkids. If I would have collected Warhammer fantasy I wouldn't give up on it. If Age of Sigmar ends tomorrow I'll still have 2 armies and the rules to play whenever I find an opponent.

I'm really curious about this. 

Welcome to TGA! 

As a new wargamer I'm curious as to why Warhammer Fantasy players don't continue to play Warhammer Fantasy? You have the books and multiple armies,  you like the system... Why give up on it? You don't need Games Workshop in order to enjoy your game. 

I still play my old video games. Sometimes I even re-buy them just for the convenience of not switching console. I'm pretty sure I'll still play Descent 2nd ed in 25 years with my grandkids. If I would have collected Warhammer fantasy I wouldn't give up on it. If Age of Sigmar ends tomorrow I'll still have 2 armies and the rules to play whenever I find an opponent.

I'm really curious about this. 

Hello and thank you!

To answer your question, it would depend on the player. So I'll tell you how I feel on the situation.

My biggest draw to the old world was its setting. 30 years of history. Special characters that had rich depth and story. Factions that were so fleshed out that it was very easy to imagine them on the table and create new outcomes for them. Many books, stories, and games have further added to character and faction lore.

And now it's gone. Along with 95% of all the characters who now have generic names on their model clampacks. Armies that we've painted and themed to the old world have a hard time finding a "fit" within AoS, especially armies that were released at the beginning of 8th or earlier.

I loved rank and file. The look. The massive amount of troops on the table and can move easily with trays and rank-up (usually) well with square bases.

What I didn't like was #1, the amount of time for set up, game, and pack up. I also didn't like ALL those rules which were overwritten by 15 different army books and could never find an actual answer without flipping to multiple pages to explain the rules within the rules.

The latter part is what is greatly hurting 40k... very convoluted rules which makes the game less smooth and not very fun. I rather game than spending half my time looking up rules. But that is a different topic...

I tried AoS at first launch and the delivery was terrible. We had no idea on how or even WHAT to play. And GW abandoned its customers.. old and new. That was the final straw for most of my Fantasy group. With 8th still in our hearts but knowing it is no longer supported and world was destroyed created a vacuum of gaming imagination of our battles and didn't feel right nor fun.

Once my old world was blown, I looked into other games including 40k (above comment was a turn off there) and some I still play regularly. But none had that Warhammer feel.

Forward almost 1 year. I tried AoS again but this time I had access to the scenarios (which none were available at AoS launch... no themed battles... no structure... no help from GW... and a just play what you want). Combine that with new community comp systems and structure it looked.... interesting again. Until I tried a scenario. Then I fealt that ol GW fanboy start creeping out from his cellar.

I love official and so does my club. 9th Age wasn't official and no idea on how long it will be supported. Yes, we can still play 8th and a few do on occasion, but its rare now.

See, for me, I needed a reason to want to play in this AoS universe. I had numerous reasons in the old world. And finally GW provided under new (and much better) leadership.

Hope that sums it up a bit.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived