10 Stormvermin or 1 Arch Warlock for the points?

Aries

Trying to think of a simple and powerful 1k point Verminous Skaven army, but can't decide if an Arch Warlock or 10 more Stormvermin are better. Arguments for both sides? Arch Warlock adds a lot of offense and defensive magic (can cast Warp Storm, Mystic Shield, and Inspiring Presence in one hero phase, without being the general) and is totally capable on its own with good attacks and a 3+ save. However, 10 more Stormvermin makes for an incredibly hard hitting unit that will take more advantage of it's special rule, and synergize well with the Verminus Battalion. Or maybe I'm chasing my tail and adding a BSB is the correct choice, I don't know.

Here is the list I'm thinking of:

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Skaven Warlord (100)*
- General
- Shield & War Halberd
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Units
Clanrats x 30 (180)
Clanrats x 20 (120)
Clanrats x 10 (60)*
Stormvermin x 20 (280)
Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team x 1 (60)
Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team x 1 (60)
Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team x 1 (60)
Battalions
Verminus Clawpack (80)
Total: 1140/1000

*Reasoning behind the warlord as my general even in a Verminus Clawpack: He will be with the horde in the front lines, and will be able to use Inspiring Presence and Gnash Gnaw on as many units as possible. The alternative means the Stormvermin/Clanrats can't get Inspiring Presence unless the Arch Warlock is there, and only one of them will get it; the Warlord only can use one command ability (and he'll be using Gnash Gnaw).

*Reasoning behind 10 Clanrats is to be chaff for the mortar teams. They'll be meatshields so the bigger unit can be more stabby.

Personally I would go with the Arch Warlock as it is always good to have a second hero, especially if you get a scenario that is dependant on heroes to do things. Also a hero not being your general makes them less likely to get stomped on.

4 minutes ago, Dez said:

I think the way the list is formatted, both are options are included? Or I'm just confused :)

Oh right. I can't read.

If you're choosing between the two in a 1k list, pick the warlock, more characters can only be a good thing (especially if you roll up Places of Power) and he's got mean magic.

Archived