Do allies know endless spells of your main faction?

yukishiro1

Question

I know that you can no longer take endless spells from outside your allegiance in 3.0. But do allied wizards know the endless spells of your primary faction? E.g. If I have a Knight Incantor in my Sylvaneth list, can I use him to summon my Spiteswarm Hive? 19.0 says that "In addition, a WIZARD knows all of the spells on their warscroll and on the warscrolls of endless spells (see 19.3) in the same army as them." 

I read this to mean that yes, the Knight Incantor does know Spiteswarm Hive - which is a bit odd, since it doesn't know a normal Sylvaneth spell, or even a generic spell, because it doesn't get enhancements per the allied rules - but that does seem to be what the text says, doesn't it? Am I missing something? 

edit: The Sylvaneth tome itself says: "There are three endless spell warscrolls that detail the rules for unique and powerful spells that can be summoned by Sylvaneth WIZARDS (see pages blah blah blah)." Does this limit the general rule of 19.0, or is this overridden by 19.0, which just blanket states that all your wizards know all your endless spells? (Also, note that weirdly, "Sylvaneth" is not in caps here, i.e. it isn't a keyword, as it is everywhere in the book that imposes limitations based upon it, e.g. spells that can only target SYLVANETH; the non-caps version is used only to denote an army drawn from the Sylvaneth allegiance generally. So arguably all this is saying is that you can't take them in non-Sylvaneth armies.)

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

I know that you can no longer take endless spells from outside your allegiance in 3.0. But do allied wizards know the endless spells of your primary faction? E.g. If I have a Knight Incantor in my Sylvaneth list, can I use him to summon my Spiteswarm Hive? 19.0 says that "In addition, a WIZARD knows all of the spells on their warscroll and on the warscrolls of endless spells (see 19.3) in the same army as them." 

I read this to mean that yes, the Knight Incantor does know Spiteswarm Hive - which is a bit odd, since it doesn't know a normal Sylvaneth spell, or even a generic spell, because it doesn't get enhancements per the allied rules - but that does seem to be what the text says, doesn't it? Am I missing something? 

edit: The Sylvaneth tome itself says: "There are three endless spell warscrolls that detail the rules for unique and powerful spells that can be summoned by Sylvaneth WIZARDS (see pages blah blah blah)." Does this limit the general rule of 19.0, or is this overridden by 19.0, which just blanket states that all your wizards know all your endless spells? (Also, not that weirdly, "Sylvaneth" is not in caps here, i.e. it isn't a keyword, as it is everywhere in the book that imposes limitations based upon it, e.g. spells that can only target SYLVANETH; the non-caps version is used only to denote an army drawn from the Sylvaneth allegiance generally.)

I was wondering the same some time ago about the stormcast endless spells and couldn't find anything that would stop an allied/coalition wizard to cast, say, the everblaze comet

Edited by Marcvs

It's part of the endless spell warscrolls themselves. I haven't looked at every single one individually, but all the ones I've looked at specify for example that "only SYLVANETH WIZARDS can attempt to summon this endless spell". Replacing sylvaneth with whichever faction the spell belongs to of course.

I don't see any reason allies or coalition couldn't cast generic endless spells if you took them though.

EDIT: It may not have been the case for pre-3rd ed ones, but if you check the FAQs, they have updated warscrolls for all endless spells.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

There's nothing in the core rules stopping an ally from casting endless spells or chanting invocations. The warscrolla of those spells/invocations usually have some keyword restriction that limits it to the faction.

Stormcast spells and Fyreslayer Invocations do not have these keyword restrictions, so allies can use them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

It's part of the endless spell warscrolls themselves. I haven't looked at every single one individually, but all the ones I've looked at specify for example that "only SYLVANETH WIZARDS can attempt to summon this endless spell". Replacing sylvaneth with whichever faction the spell belongs to of course.

Oh hey you're right, good spot. It does say that in the FAQ'ed endless spells. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, yukishiro1 said:

Oh hey you're right, good spot. It does say that in the FAQ'ed endless spells. Thanks! 

Worth mentioning that as PJetski pointed out, not every endless spell has this. I think all the FAQed ones do, but just checking my Stormcast Eternals battletome, the endless spells are missing that line, so as written most allies are out of luck.