Base to Base and rear 'rank' attacks

Redmanphill

Lets take it as given for the purpose of this discussion that we measure base to base.

So a model occupies the entirety of the base. I line up my guys and charge and leave no gaps between the models making up the front line. The second line of troops either A) in the same unit or b) in a different unit can or can't attack assuming they have the reach to do so?

I can't attack through a model right? That wozuld seem to be a hang up of eighth edition and the rulebooklet doesn't clarify this.

I'm pretty sure you can attack through the models, as long as the 2nd 'rank' is in range. I'd need to look at the rules but doesn't it pretty much just say if your melee weapon is in range of an enemy you can attack?

If you're lined up against one enemy unit and a different enemy unit is 'ranked' up behind them, your own unit could choose to attack either as long as their weapons are in range.

At least that's how I gather it all works, haven't played many games myself.

The crucial bit of the rules; Attacking->Picking Targets.

You have to be in range, and you have to have LOS. Members of your own unit are ignored for the purposes of obstructing LOS.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yep. And even enemy models would have to completely block line of sight to stop you attacking through them. I can think of anything that'd do that, even in two ranks there'd always be gaps you could see through.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Archived