Forge Brethren Formation (Fyreslayers)

Solvanic

Question

17 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Solvanic said:

For those who are curious this is the combo I am cooking up with this now that it can give +3 armor!

20 Ironbreakers (ignore rend-1), Sisters of the Thorn, Forge Brethren formation. This will give the unit of 20 rerollable 2+ saves vs. rend 0 or rend-1, and rerollable 3+ saves against rend-2. Now to the best part. For every non mortal wound the unit receives, they will reflect a mortal wound 2/3 of the time. So for example if this unit took 36 rend -1 wounds, they would lose 1 model and reflect 24 mortal wounds onto the attacking force!

No sir-y the units required to support that (nice and slow) Ironbreaker unit will not be easy to pick off and kill + mad expensive at all.

On 6/9/2016 at 0:12 PM, Nico said:

3 times. Also it stacks.

You test for "a unit" to see whether it is within 10 inches of the Runesmiter. If it is, then it can use the ability. All 3 units can do this test. 

While the wording is ambiguous - "a" could have the sense of "any" like "If/Else" logic or it could have the sense of "one". The same logic as applied to the Gnarlroot Wargrove would apply here - GW FB page ruled that this wording meant "any", so all the Branchwraiths and Treelord Ancients got the buff.

Is this true? Are there some place to find this quote from Games Workshop, cause that would be awesome!!! :)

...or you could ditch the unforged and use the remaining points to buy the Runesmiter a magmadroth for increased suitability and a bigger bulwark bubble for the hearthguard.

Personally I think that bulwark of molten stone not letting stuff charge is a waste of shield of thorns, and the best force to add sisters of the thorn to would probably be stormcast with the Guardians of Alarielle formation - branchwraith casts mystic shield on a stormcast unit, then Grym uses his lantern on it and gives it an extra +1 save from his bubble buff for a total +3 save, to bounce shield of thorns off. Make sure the unit you cast the spell on is liberators or prosecutors with shields and you even get to reroll 1s.

Didn't see the vulkites there, whoops, it's late (fyi you've got the points for it and might want to 'upgrade' two units to 10 dwarf warriors, vulkites are kind of ****** on their own)

Imo the list looks like a fun set of combos on paper, but I could spend an hour listing them and still have not named half the commonly used units available to all four grand alliances that could take out the units buffing the ironbreaker deathstar without breaking a sweat.

47 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

@Solvanic

If this list is for matched play you've got no battleline units.

As a 5 wound hero, the runesmiter's going to take an arcane bolt and an arcane bolt equivalent spell doing D3 mortal wounds the face on turn two and die, or a grudge thrower/helstorm/hell cannon/plagueclaw volley to the face on turn one and die, preventing the Hearthguard from using their bulwark of molten stone ability.

Vulkite Berzerkers are battleline? As far the Runesmiter I agree he will be targeted but he can be WAY in the back (10 inches behind the hearthgaurd who can be 15 inches behind the ironbreakers. Ideally I will hide him out of LOS and 100% in terrain. Its also possible I will use the a couple hearthguard volleys on the runesmiter if he is in danger and the ironbreakers are not in combat. The sisters of the thorn can also obviously cast their spell on the runesmiter first and second turns if needed he can be as invulnerable as the ironbreakers from shooting unless I am missing something (except ignore rend-1). In fact thinking about it I will probably use +2 armor on the runesmiter and +1 on the ironbreakers until combat. I am not super worried about arcane bolt, anything that can arcane bolt (18 inch range) will have to be in essentially melee range or even beyond my lines to cast on the runesmiter no (25 inches vs. 18)?

@Solvanic

If this list is for matched play you've got no battleline units.

As a 5 wound hero, the runesmiter's going to take an arcane bolt and an arcane bolt equivalent spell doing D3 mortal wounds the face on turn two and die, or a grudge thrower/helstorm/hell cannon/plagueclaw volley to the face on turn one and die, preventing the Hearthguard from using their bulwark of molten stone ability.

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

No sir-y the units required to support that (nice and slow) Ironbreaker unit will not be easy to pick off and kill + mad expensive at all.

What do you mean? Pick off with shooting? The iron breakers will intercept any charge the unit is HUGE on rounds. Any list that wants to trade shootings with my list I think is a good chance of a win for me. This is my list:

Forge Brethren: 80

3x Auric Hearthguard: 300

1x Auric Runesmiter: 100

30 Quarrelers: 360

2x Runelord (buff the Quarrelers): 160

3x Vulkite Berserkers: 240

Unforged(with relic blade): 100

Gyrocopter: 80

Sisters of the Thorn: 220

20 Ironbreakers (can move 8 inches per turn with sound the advance): 320

All shooting (Quarrelers+3x Hearthguard+Gyro+Sisters) targets mortal wound generators first. Hearth guard units or Runelords can hold back objectives while Phalanx surrounded by spread out iron breakers advances. Sisters/Gyrocopter are both extremely fast units and can sprint to objectives late game (and are #1 survival priority and usually kept towards the back). What would you target first? How would you get into melee? Does your list out shoot this list?

For those who are curious this is the combo I am cooking up with this now that it can give +3 armor!

20 Ironbreakers (ignore rend-1), Sisters of the Thorn, Forge Brethren formation. This will give the unit of 20 rerollable 2+ saves vs. rend 0 or rend-1, and rerollable 3+ saves against rend-2. Now to the best part. For every non mortal wound the unit receives, they will reflect a mortal wound 2/3 of the time. So for example if this unit took 36 rend -1 wounds, they would lose 1 model and reflect 24 mortal wounds onto the attacking force!

2 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

“ABILITIES
Master-forged Blades:Even amongst the finely wrought weapons of the Fyreslayers, the masterfully worked blades carried by members of the Forge Brethren are breathtaking to behold – and equally deadly. If the result of a wound roll in the combat phase for a model from the Forge Brethren is 6 or higher, subtract 1 from the result of the save roll for that attack.

Bulwark of Molten Stone:In your hero phase, a unit of Auric Hearthguard that is within 10" of the Runesmiter from their Forge Brethren can fashion makeshift defences with a sustained volley from their Magmapikes. Pick either the Auric Hearthguard themselves or another unit within 15". Add 1 to the result of any save rolls for that unit until your next hero phase, or until it makes a charge move”

do you say 3 because of 3 units? I'm kinda confused. 

Ya i was saying can only 1 unit in the formation do it or can all 3 and it looks like all 3 which is SOOO OP for my list

“ABILITIES
Master-forged Blades:Even amongst the finely wrought weapons of the Fyreslayers, the masterfully worked blades carried by members of the Forge Brethren are breathtaking to behold – and equally deadly. If the result of a wound roll in the combat phase for a model from the Forge Brethren is 6 or higher, subtract 1 from the result of the save roll for that attack.

Bulwark of Molten Stone:In your hero phase, a unit of Auric Hearthguard that is within 10" of the Runesmiter from their Forge Brethren can fashion makeshift defences with a sustained volley from their Magmapikes. Pick either the Auric Hearthguard themselves or another unit within 15". Add 1 to the result of any save rolls for that unit until your next hero phase, or until it makes a charge move”

do you say 3 because of 3 units? I'm kinda confused. 

3 times. Also it stacks.

You test for "a unit" to see whether it is within 10 inches of the Runesmiter. If it is, then it can use the ability. All 3 units can do this test. 

While the wording is ambiguous - "a" could have the sense of "any" like "If/Else" logic or it could have the sense of "one". The same logic as applied to the Gnarlroot Wargrove would apply here - GW FB page ruled that this wording meant "any", so all the Branchwraiths and Treelord Ancients got the buff.

Archived