Prime or Stardake

Khornedog

So I have enough money for one model to add to my growing storm casts army. I am thinking Prime or star drake. The star drake looks amazing but it seems like the prime is more useful in the game. It also seems to be more formation friendly.  What would you guys pick and why?

The Stardrake is excellent against large blocks of elite infantry and Daemons and is genuinely tough. He also adds some unavoidable ranged sniping damage. Like Archaon he doesn't have the rend or enough mortal wounds to be a good can opener - you wouldn't want him to go toe to toe with a Dread Maw for example.

The Prime is good for certain battleplans. He can be used in two ways, either as an aoe artillery piece if they bunker up, or as the battleround 3 "cavalry riding to the rescue".

I went for the drake. Not nearly as deadly as the prime but swim in special rules. I tend to send him in units of 2-3 hp/models, use his maw to snipe champions and special weapons (you can choose the model you eat) and his starfall to dammage heroes. The 16 HP are huge enough to resist a lot of things. I never use the cloud attack as even if i shoot it in a unit of 30 it only slain 5-6 models and that is not as useful as slaying half a hero wounds.

Archived