Questions Regarding Fyreslayers

Grombrindal

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here (as well as the hobby). I've been having trouble understanding the game, as I haven't been able to play yet due to the covid stuff. I apologize in advance if my questions are really stupid.

I like dwarfs, and only have dwarf models. So far I have about 200 old Warhammer Fantasy dwarfs, an Age Of Sigmar Gotrek (Which was really fun), 2 start collecting boxes of Fyreslayers as well as a box of Vulkite Berserkers. 

Are there any other Fyreslayer things I should purchase in order to have a playable army?

Also, can I use my Slayer models that are from Warhammer Fantasy to represent Fyreslayers in Age of Sigmar? Or are they only allowed in the Warhammer Fantasy game?

I'm having issues deciding what weapons to put on my Fyreslayers. So far I've made one batch with axes. I've made all my choices off what looks cool. Do the keys and little trinket deals impact play at all? I wasn't sure if they were supposed to go on certain characters so I left them on the sprue

Lastly, does it matter what color scheme I go with for my Fyreslayers? I like the Lofnir one in the Fyreslayer book I bought the best. 

I'm hoping this was the right section to post this in. Please don't tear me up too bad if it wasn't.

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome to the community. I am not a Fyreslayers expert, (I think they are awesome though and was thinking about painting one just today actually) but on the topic of using original slayers I can’t see you having any problems unless the unit they represent was unclear. Also, on the GW website where they host the FAQ document, you can find a chart that tells you the recommended base sizes for all models. Some tournaments might require them to be based that way.

As for units to take, the game plays well with all kinds of lists. Have you thought about a Magmadroth or two? Also, I think Fyreslayers have their own sub forum in the order section. You might find more expert help there perhaps.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Firstly, welcome to the community. I am not a Fyreslayers expert, (I think they are awesome though and was thinking about painting one just today actually) but on the topic of using original slayers I can’t see you having any problems unless the unit they represent was unclear. Also, on the GW website where they host the FAQ document, you can find a chart that tells you the recommended base sizes for all models. Some tournaments might require them to be based that way.

As for units to take, the game plays well with all kinds of lists. Have you thought about a Magmadroth or two? Also, I think Fyreslayers have their own sub forum in the order section. You might find more expert help there perhaps.

Thank you for the welcome! I'll definitely check out that Fyreslayers sub forum.

That's good to know, I have at least 20 of them and I feel like the older metal models have a bit more character/expression then the new ones. In sort of a goofy hair metal sort of way haha.

Yes! The start collecting boxes actually came with Magmadroths! So I have two! I assembled one of them, I want it to look sort of like the one below, but red/orange/yellow showing through instead of the blue. The article I read detailed the use of "contrast paints." Basically the black is supposed to be a sort of opaque black so it shows some of the color beneath it. I'm probably doing it wrong, but I painted all the scalesy parts red, and will purchase that paint at the store next week. I don't think I'm good enough at painting to pull it off without that cheat code.

Magmadorth.jpg.dca36348e7367e5979ea8ad1332350e2.jpg

I also have my Gotrek I put together and painted. I have intention of using that green stuff to create an eyepatch for him. As a temporary band-aid I just tried to paint his eye bugman's glow to make it look messed up like the Viking in Vahalla Rising's eye.

I don't think he's missing an eye in Age of Sigmar but I would like him to match up to the books I've been reading. I'm not very good at painting skin yet, once I get better I would like to make his muscles pop more. I tried to find some sort of very thin paint marker to add tattoos with, but haven't had any luck so far. I have enough slayers to where I'd spend ~$30 on one and consider it a good value.

143296348_Gotrekforumpost.PNG.c6c0c68411b7e7e2b86d9fe5fc31a6f8.PNG

Edited by Grombrindal
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, Grombrindal said:

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here (as well as the hobby). I've been having trouble understanding the game, as I haven't been able to play yet due to the covid stuff. I apologize in advance if my questions are really stupid.

I like dwarfs, and only have dwarf models. So far I have about 200 old Warhammer Fantasy dwarfs, an Age Of Sigmar Gotrek (Which was really fun), 2 start collecting boxes of Fyreslayers as well as a box of Vulkite Berserkers. 

Are there any other Fyreslayer things I should purchase in order to have a playable army?

Also, can I use my Slayer models that are from Warhammer Fantasy to represent Fyreslayers in Age of Sigmar? Or are they only allowed in the Warhammer Fantasy game?

I'm having issues deciding what weapons to put on my Fyreslayers. So far I've made one batch with axes. I've made all my choices off what looks cool. Do the keys and little trinket deals impact play at all? I wasn't sure if they were supposed to go on certain characters so I left them on the sprue

Lastly, does it matter what color scheme I go with for my Fyreslayers? I like the Lofnir one in the Fyreslayer book I bought the best. 

I'm hoping this was the right section to post this in. Please don't tear me up too bad if it wasn't.

No such thing as stupid questions, unless they're coming from aelven tongues obviously.

Two Start Collectings are a good... well, start. You've got two Battleline and multiple heroes (mounted and on foot). Next you'll probably want to grab a Magmic Battleforge since it's our 'free' (in points) terrain piece, meaning even if it does absolutely nothing all game, at least you didn't have to shell out points for it. Beyond that I'd ask what Slayer models from WHFB you have to potentially proxy with - Fyreslayers aren't cheap in terms of real life money, so being able to proxy stuff like Battlesmith in the short term might be a big help on the financial front for example.

You can absolutely use your old Slayer models. They're still GW models, albeit old ones, and it's not an uncommon thing for former Dwarf players to utilise them for. On the very tiny chance somebody takes an issue with it, laugh, pen a Grudge, then move on. 

Right now the most popular build for Vulkites are the Picks/Shields, but Dual-Axes are also popular. That said the difference isn't so great that you're going to be agonising over making the wrong decision and things could change by the time the next Army Book Battletome rolls around. The only 'key' that really matters is the Forge Key option on the Runesmiter, everything else is visual and has no impact.

When it comes to Fyreslayers several of the colour schemes are close enough that none would blink the same way they might with Stormcast. There's many. many, Lodges across the Realms and it's not impossible that a non-Lofnir Lodge would also cover their hands and feet in soot with red beards by sheer coincidence. Paint them however you like, the vast majority of people won't care less.

There is a Fyreslayer thread that most discussions get posted on, but this sub-forum is slow enough that none ought to really mind if some are separated.

Good start on the painting, especially the Magmadroth.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

No such thing as stupid questions, unless they're coming from aelven tongues obviously.

Two Start Collectings are a good... well, start. You've got two Battleline and multiple heroes (mounted and on foot). Next you'll probably want to grab a Magmic Battleforge since it's our 'free' (in points) terrain piece, meaning even if it does absolutely nothing all game, at least you didn't have to shell out points for it. Beyond that I'd ask what Slayer models from WHFB you have to potentially proxy with - Fyreslayers aren't cheap in terms of real life money, so being able to proxy stuff like Battlesmith in the short term might be a big help on the financial front for example.

You can absolutely use your old Slayer models. They're still GW models, albeit old ones, and it's not an uncommon thing for former Dwarf players to utilise them for. On the very tiny chance somebody takes an issue with it, laugh, pen a Grudge, then move on. 

Right now the most popular build for Vulkites are the Picks/Shields, but Dual-Axes are also popular. That said the difference isn't so great that you're going to be agonising over making the wrong decision and things could change by the time the next Army Book Battletome rolls around. The only 'key' that really matters is the Forge Key option on the Runesmiter, everything else is visual and has no impact.

When it comes to Fyreslayers several of the colour schemes are close enough that none would blink the same way they might with Stormcast. There's many. many, Lodges across the Realms and it's not impossible that a non-Lofnir Lodge would also cover their hands and feet in soot with red beards by sheer coincidence. Paint them however you like, the vast majority of people won't care less.

There is a Fyreslayer thread that most discussions get posted on, but this sub-forum is slow enough that none ought to really mind if some are separated.

Good start on the painting, especially the Magmadroth.

These are my current slayer models, I'm working on a batch of them right now. It takes me quite a while, All I've done so far is blocked out the big chunks of base-layer colors. I'm saving the non-primered ones for last. I tend to spend a lot more time on the one-off characters as opposed to the ones I'm painting 10 of the "same" of. The one standing on the demon head used to have a base, but I didn't like the way the plan turned out so I'm going to make him a new circular one. My plan is to cut the base so there's a reveal, then fill the space with "water effects" over a couple coats of "blood for the blood god."

I think one of them is from my Goblin Hewer. I'm very intimidated by it and haven't been able to find any sort of "how to" so it's going to be a pretty ambitious project, There's a few more in a box. I have so many things to put together lol.IMG_1153.jpg.fc1ff89d17f104a05a1cff1db1d72a7d.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg.0dfa687489a55fd42f60fdc103f7f52f.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg.87d2ee839cf13ceaccc6712ce9b0aece.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg.c618287b061a3cd5f931f031c471ca0b.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Grombrindal said:

These are my current slayer models, I'm working on a batch of them right now. It takes me quite a while, All I've done so far is blocked out the big chunks of base-layer colors. I'm saving the non-primered ones for last. I tend to spend a lot more time on the one-off characters as opposed to the ones I'm painting 10 of the "same" of. The one standing on the demon head used to have a base, but I didn't like the way the plan turned out so I'm going to make him a new circular one. My plan is to cut the base so there's a reveal, then fill the space with "water effects" over a couple coats of "blood for the blood god."

I think one of them is from my Goblin Hewer. I'm very intimidated by it and haven't been able to find any sort of "how to" so it's going to be a pretty ambitious project, There's a few more in a box. I have so many things to put together lol.

Depending on what models you've got, you could proxy a Standard Bearer as a Battlesmith.

I would then proxy Hearthguard Berzerkers (with Broadaxes) using what Giant Slayers you have. 

The remainder could be used as Vulkites, perhaps the Champions standing in for various Heroes depending on if they're duel-wielding or not.

Best use for the Goblin Hewer I can think of as a Hellblaster Volley Gun, but that would mean leaving Gotrek at home since he eats up all of your 400pt Ally allowance (and then some). 

Edited by Clan's Cynic