Measuring from bases - Megagargants

Bozgum

Question

Hi, I had a remark about measuring distances for combat between vertical levels.

You have to measure the attacks from base to base. So the 1” and 2” attacks from the gargant wouldn’t reach units on terrain except if I would awkwardly  position the base of the gargant diagonally against the terrain.  This seems so absurd, more so with gargants... you would think due to their size they could eadbut a Ghoul King on Charnel throne, for example. I don't like to balance my gargants on a “twig” for reach. 

even more so if when reading the garrison rule:  a grot wants to hit a unit garrisoned on the fifth level of a tower, he can reach them from the front door...

Am I seeing this wrong or did I mis something here?

Edited by Bozgum

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

If something is garrissonned, you measure to the terrain piece instead of the model on it, right?

Yes, but when a model is not garrisoned, like on a throne, or altar, or azyrite ruin, then you measure the distance between the bases if i am to believe the core rules:

image.png

image.png

This is because AoS movement rules (including pile in and charges) allow you to move models halfway up a wall (if you have the movement to do so) and stop there, even if the model can’t physically be placed there. (I don’t like this rule and I’m hoping they copy 40ks rule where you can only stop there if the model can actually be placed there)

it’s also worth pointing out, that this sort of problem didn’t exist in aos1 when you measured from the closest point on the models, but of course the competitive/tournaments hated that rule and complained the loudest and it changed to base to base

4 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

This is because AoS movement rules (including pile in and charges) allow you to move models halfway up a wall (if you have the movement to do so) and stop there, even if the model can’t physically be placed there. (I don’t like this rule and I’m hoping they copy 40ks rule where you can only stop there if the model can actually be placed there)

it’s also worth pointing out, that this sort of problem didn’t exist in aos1 when you measured from the closest point on the models, but of course the competitive/tournaments hated that rule and complained the loudest and it changed to base to base

Oh, I do prefer bases, but that only works until a unit can really enter a terrain piece.

OP could just bring a hammer and flatten the terrain piece to simulate a gargant stepping on it to get it placed, but somehow I think not everyone would like that.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:45 PM, boombyeyeah said:

Just imagine a Zylinder that goes from the edge of the base up high to the headheight of the model and measure from the closest point to the other model, thats how my group plays it, how a big event played it and how basically anyone i know or have known played it.

This seems like a good idea, i will suggest it to my group! Thanks!

On 4/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, zilberfrid said:

Oh, I do prefer bases, but that only works until a unit can really enter a terrain piece.

OP could just bring a hammer and flatten the terrain piece to simulate a gargant stepping on it to get it placed, but somehow I think not everyone would like that.

Yes I also like to use bases for movement and ranged attacks. And indeed I also use self made terrain where the bases would not always fit, even if the “ feet” of the model could fit in between without any problem, or in case of the mega gargants just destroy the plants/trees/ stalagmites on their way, I don’t think the MG will think “oh no, I cannot fit between these trees, let’s go around it!” ...but that’s maybe just fluff.