Some tips using terrain

Beliman

Hi there.

After reading a lot of topics about ranged damage, I decided to resume the basic rules of our terrain. Something that everybody knows but maybe, we don't use and abuse enough in our games.

I want to start with the Cover mechanic, something that I’m pretty sure everybody already knows:

“Add 1 to save rolls for a unit if all of its models are wholly on or within a terrain feature when the rolls are made. This modifier does not apply in the combat phase if the unit you are making save rolls for made a charge move in the same turn, and never applies to units containing models with the Monster or War Machine keyword that have a Wounds characteristic of 8 or more.”

Really simple to understand. I want to focus on the bold part. That means that a pair of Fulminators on Shattered Temple have a 2+save rerolling 1.

Spoiler

Just put your non-monster/ non-warmachines minis on this thing to have that +1 save! Hurricanum, DoK shrines, vanguard-raptors, etc... !!

Dominion of Sigmar: Shattered Temple

Another thing  is the Obstacle rule (there are a lot of them in the oficial terrain btw). The rules give us a new conditional to obtain Cover:

“When a missile weapon targets an enemy unit that has all of its models within 1" of an obstacle, then the target unit receives the benefit of cover if the attacking model is closer to the obstacle than it is to the target unit.”

What does it mean? All fences, broken walls, etc… will give you +1 save to ranged attacks if all your models are behind that terrain. Remember Fulminators with 2+ save and rerolling ones? You get that just moving them behind some stones.

Next thing to take in consideration is the garrison rule:

“A garrisoning unit counts as being in cover if it is attacked. In addition, subtract 1 from the hit rolls of attacks made against a garrisoning unit.”

If we put a hero in a garrison, his base will become the whole garrison, that means that his/her auras are going to be massive!! Gluttos Orscollion hiding in a house, with a 2+save and extending his own auras (that -1 to be hit) for a total of -2 for him and -1 to everyone else moving around his improvised palace seems fun!

But how many garrisons are good enough to play with?  Nice question, the GHB2020 gave as an answer:

“... each player must pick 5 terrain features from the lists to the right – 3 from the primary list and 2 from the secondary list.”

In other words, the primary list (6 terrain features from the 1st list between both players) has 5 garrisons, 4 obstacles and the Wyldwood (that has the overgrown trait). That means that at least every table should have 2 garrisons and a bunch of obstacles. I understand that people will still use their own terrain, but it’s really easy to use them as a proxy or at least, don't be lazy, give them the obstacle and garrison rules!! Note: The secondary List has 6 obstacles.

Spoiler

terrain.jpg.91157cec7417ad526569c0bd3ab61bed.jpg

We all play with Look Out Sir, but what about stacking them with garrisons? We don’t even need to put all models in the same garrison, just throw your hero in a random house and a patrol of 5 or 10 dudes guarding the entrance (or the backyard) That +1 save and -2 to be hit by ranged attacks sounds tasty!!

Of course there are some counter-plays (throw a unit 3” near their garrison), but the garrison rule gives us another option to use in our battles:

“A unit can be set up as a garrison at the start of a battle if the terrain feature is wholly within the unit’s territory.”

That’s right, not in your deployment zone, but any terrain wholly within your territory. That could give us a lot of “free movement” early game!

I want to add a link for  some of the new  warcry terrain rules and a filter for terrain rules from GW website, just for references:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/BMMBbubmS62KjIJH.pdf

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=647457687+669229921&Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AGB_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_GB_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1614593580000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1614593580000]&_requestid=5663906&view=all

P.D:  Gotrek can enter and leave any garrison (garrison rules are not part of any spell nor ability). That could give him some "free" movement too!

Edited by Beliman
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Beliman said:

“A unit can be set up as a garrison at the start of a battle if the terrain feature is wholly within the unit’s territory.”

That’s right, not in your deployment zone, but any terrain wholly within your territory. That could give us a lot of “free movement”.

Good post. Are you sure this is how it works, though? Your deployment zone is defined by restrictions found in the battle plan, after all. It seems to me being able to garrison terrain features in your own territory does not overrule the deployment restrictions found on the individual battle plan (x away from enemy territory and units...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Good post. Are you sure this is how it works, though? Your deployment zone is defined by restrictions found in the battle plan, after all. It seems to me being able to garrison terrain features in your own territory does not overrule the deployment restrictions found on the individual battle plan (x away from enemy territory and units...).

I assume that's correct because GHB2020 battleplans don't have deployment zones anymore but your "territory". The only thing that may change that rule is because there are some battleplans with another conditional. Ex.: "...must set-up wholly within your own territory and 9" away from enemies territory". 

Imho, this new conditionals overwrites the garrison rule (and the garrison must remain outside 9" or whatever from enemy territory to be legally garrisoned during the set-up of the game). At least that's how we play the game, but the point still remains: leave your garrison with all your models within 6"  (and not wholly within) for a total of 7-8" free movement. Note: dwarves have a double move when leaving a garrison!!

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Like 1