Combined order (aelves) viable?

Bassie

I was wondering whether I can use my old whfb armies to make a viable aos army.

Specifically, an army built around pheonix guard, executioners, sisters of the watch etc (I have high and dark elves in the old language).

I was gifted a GW gift voucher for $100 over Xmas. 

If I had to make a single purchase to turn old armies into a viable aos army, what would I buy?

• Like 1

You definitely can. They are quite good in Living City ime. They have excellent shooting units that can utilize their ambush mechanic. Phoenix Guard are an excellent anvil. Executioners aren't great in terms of internal balance.

Not knowing your collection makes it a bit challenging but the Black Dragon Lord might be worth considering. Building him with a crossbow allows him to ambush, fire, move again (Living City Command Ability) and charge. 

There's a discounted bundle with that kit and more Dark Elf infantry if you need them.

Edit:

Reading back over this it might be as simple as the Cities of Sigmar book and then use the rest on a kit that makes the most sense with whichever City you like/fits your existing collection.

Edited by Eldarain
Misread the OP a bit.
  • Like 2

As Eldarain said a bit difficult to say what you should buy, if we don’t know what you already have. I’m no expert on Cities, so I leave that to others, but if you have a HE dragon already, you likely will be able to proxy that in, so you don’t kneed to buy a DE one. Otherwise that’s good advice. Same Is true for wizards, infantry units, archers etc. you might want a Phoenix, but then you could also already have that. And so on. 

• Like 1

I own -

3 x Island of blood boxset (15 reavers, 30 spire guard, a griffon rider, 20 swordmasters)

20 pheonix guard

30 sisters of watch

a lot of high elf spearmen

frost pheonix with anointed

HE dragon with wizard

Tyrion and Teclis (from 1994ish)

8 silver helms

20 wood elf  dudes with the glaive (eternal guard if memory serves)

12 dragon princes

30 executioners

a lot of dark elf spearmen

hydra

kharibdys or however it is spelt

6ish bolt throwers of various origin

10 cold one knights, several characters on cold ones

10 harpies

30ish witches (non -GW)

20ish crossbowmen (non-GW)

My collection is something like:

20 pheonix guard (plus 20 more in need of tlc)

20 sisters of the watch 

Frost pheonix with anointed 

Dragon with elf Mage on it 

3*5 reavers 

20 swordmasters 

30 spire guard 

Griffin and rider

3 repeater bolt Throwers 

8 silver helms 

12 dragon princes 

Various characters on foot.

Tyrion & teclis (1994ish models, pride of my collection)

30 executioners 

30 ish witches (but not gw models)

10 cold one knights and several characters on cold ones 

Hydra 

Karibdys 

10 eternal guard 

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in_26.html?m=1

This entry on Double Misfire’s blog is an invaluable proxying guide for adjusting your collection to Cities!

EDIT: your witches present, to me, the most interesting dilemma!

Allowed and hard but not impossible to justify as allies - anti Morathi diehard Khaine traditionalists? but not very effective;

OR your whole force could become an unusually High Elf looking Har Kuron army!?

Edited by Lord of the Isle
  • Thanks 1

you can use the swordmaster as imperial greatswords and reavers as cavalry crossbowmen, mages as well, mages xD  the gryphon as a freeguild general, the dragon as the balck dragon mount, princes as demy and spireguiard as normal aelf guard in cities

Its all legal, maybe youll meet that guy, but i saw tournaments where people converted whole HE armies in citie and the only thing they did get was a lot of compliments