Assembly question: transparent stems for fliers

PiotrW

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the transparent stems for flying units some of GW's models use.

I normally use plastic glue for GW's plastic models (Revell Contacta). Works like a charm :) But what about these transparent stems? I recently got some models that use them (Seraphim Sisters for WH40K - not AoS, I know, but still GW) and I'm not sure how to attach them. Do I use the same plastic glue as for normal plastic pieces or something else?

Aside from Contacta, I also have white PVA glue, some epoxy glue and CA modelling glue from Green Stuff World. Which of them is the best for these stems?

I'd be grateful for your help!

On 11/23/2020 at 8:42 AM, PiotrW said:

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the transparent stems for flying units some of GW's models use.

I normally use plastic glue for GW's plastic models (Revell Contacta). Works like a charm :) But what about these transparent stems? I recently got some models that use them (Seraphim Sisters for WH40K - not AoS, I know, but still GW) and I'm not sure how to attach them. Do I use the same plastic glue as for normal plastic pieces or something else?

Aside from Contacta, I also have white PVA glue, some epoxy glue and CA modelling glue from Green Stuff World. Which of them is the best for these stems?

I'd be grateful for your help!

I don't know if those flying stems are made from a different material as the KO ship flight stems, but plastic glue works just fine on those.

52 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

I don't know if those flying stems are made from a different material as the KO ship flight stems, but plastic glue works just fine on those.

Ah, I see! Thanks, I needed to have that confirmed. I've heard some weird and contradictory information regarding what to glue with what...

They are plastic and will glue with plastic glue just fine. Like any plastic glue it will melt the plastic a little on both surfaces which then reforms and provides a strong bond.

Some people might prefer to use superglue on them because you can put models in the freezer which will make superglue brittle enough to break. Thus letting them remove the flight stem at a latter date if they want. Others might advise using magnets or other tricks to allow you to remove the stem during transport to make them easier - this is often done by people transporting with foam cases - those using magnets and metal sheets, tend to glue the stem in place.