Snowy Cities of Sigmar - any base in lore?

Django

Hi guys,

Been doing this hobby for a little over a year and started with Stormcast. Now Im considering starting a new project which I would like to be a bit more of a painting project. Not in the meaning of being painted super nicely, but to have a theme and an idea from the get-go.

I have really fallen in love with painting icy stuff, and want to do a ice/snow/winter themed army. I have been considering getting Cities of Sigmar.

My question is for you people who might have a better idea of the lore,  is if it is any base in lore to have a winter themed Cities of Sigmar list? Like for example is there a part of Ghyran that is winter, of does Ghyran have seasons?

Ghyran's seasons, at least in some places, are linked to Alarielle's form and mood and Aspect - when Alarielle mourns or grows restful, large swathes of Ghyran would be smothered in winter.

The altitude of some of the regions of the Realm/natural cycle/passing Ogor tribes and all manner of other factors could also create brief/Realm-wide/localised/permanent winters. As the Azyrites expand and build new outposts, towns, and cities (both with and without the blessing of the Everqueen) the likelihood of a winter themed city rises, and you can justify it however you want!

Maybe your city is built around a shrine/former nest of the Ur-Phoenix, and Frost Phoenixes live in large numbers, chilling the air. Maybe the city is in lands the Everqueen has not yet reclaimed, even with Nurgle pushed back, and so the "normal" seasons reign there, with winter taking up a fourth of the year. Maybe there is a Realmgate in the region that leads to Shyish, and the chill of Death has manifest in Ghyran as a cold, eternal winter. Maybe there is a local Winter God whose influence is waxing. 

If you have fallen in love with painting icy stuff, you should totally do it - there's a million ways to justify it, and pretty much all of them are cool and could lead to some really nice little additions to the story/conversions/list themes you go for.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MaatithoftheBrand said:

Ghyran's seasons, at least in some places, are linked to Alarielle's form and mood and Aspect - when Alarielle mourns or grows restful, large swathes of Ghyran would be smothered in winter.

The altitude of some of the regions of the Realm/natural cycle/passing Ogor tribes and all manner of other factors could also create brief/Realm-wide/localised/permanent winters. As the Azyrites expand and build new outposts, towns, and cities (both with and without the blessing of the Everqueen) the likelihood of a winter themed city rises, and you can justify it however you want!

Maybe your city is built around a shrine/former nest of the Ur-Phoenix, and Frost Phoenixes live in large numbers, chilling the air. Maybe the city is in lands the Everqueen has not yet reclaimed, even with Nurgle pushed back, and so the "normal" seasons reign there, with winter taking up a fourth of the year. Maybe there is a Realmgate in the region that leads to Shyish, and the chill of Death has manifest in Ghyran as a cold, eternal winter. Maybe there is a local Winter God whose influence is waxing. 

If you have fallen in love with painting icy stuff, you should totally do it - there's a million ways to justify it, and pretty much all of them are cool and could lead to some really nice little additions to the story/conversions/list themes you go for.

this is the best response to anything anyone has ever given anyone. Thanks a lot!

Yeah the idea is not to be super strict about it, but it is kind of nice to have some sort of backround to the army. I based my stormcast with just regular battleground dirt from armypainter since I'm a beginner and after a year I obviously thinks it's boring to look at but hey, I'm never gonna rebase everything so it is what it is. The icy theme just seems super easy to make look good.

Massive thanks for the ideas!

19 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Maatith said it perfectly well.

I just want to add: If you want to go the easy way and are not partial to Ghyran - Tempest Eye in Aqshy is located on the summit of Titanspear Mountain, and it's official artwork shows it's cold and snowy there. 

Tempest's_Eye_01.jpg

Great to know I could use an icy theme and still get away with it being somewhat logical in all cities. Maybe the cities that need to be from Aqshy is a bit tricky to justify though, heh.

• Thanks 1