The Rise of the Hysh-ish Skaven

Arzalyn

Hi Everyone!

I always see such lovely models/armys paint logs around here and those got me inspired to try to make one myself. I recently got some second hand Skaven models, that will become my second army, so it seens like a good time to do so! The first thing I wanted was to explore other colors with them, and as my first army is an autumn colors Sylvaneth, I decided to avoid earthly/dirty tones when possible. Well if i'm not going for they shadow look, why not try to go for a "light" look on them? Thus the Hysh-ish Skaven were born!

I'm still brainstorming some of their lore (like aetherquartz tainted by warpstone energy for some superpowered weapons!) and trying some colors combinations, but so far I'm pleased with my first little rat. May it be the first of many to come!

I planing to try some lilac/light acqua green in place of the blue, other fur tones, and some brass in place of the gold (maybe keeping the gold for the heroes/unit leaders) on the next models.

20200722_225520.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

On 7/25/2020 at 5:21 AM, Arzalyn said:

I planing to try some lilac/light acqua green in place of the blue, other fur tones, and some brass in place of the gold (maybe keeping the gold for the heroes/unit leaders) on the next models

I think that would work very well. Especially with the skin colour. 

lover the theme. Can’t wait to hear how this masterclan will mess up teclis’s masterplan. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice looking rat! I think you could get away with different cloth colours on the models if you wanted a less uniform look (some blue, some aqua, some lilac etc) but I'd agree brass would look good for the metal.

Warpstone corrupted aetherquartz sounds like an amazing idea by the way! Perhaps paint the warpstone-y bits to look like they're glowing iridescently?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress so far (got a KO start collect that need to get done for the table before my little rats), but I was able to try some skin colors tests. Pretty happy with the grey, brown and caramel, not so much with the black one... the last one will be white, but I saving that one for latter (its all part of the narrative!).

The brown one has the begginig of a base texture. Thinking of adding some sand to go with the debris, gonna try to simulate some destroyed citie lost after the lumineth fall.

Will try a lilac garmet on the next batch to seen how they look.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, Evil Eye said:

Warpstone corrupted aetherquartz sounds like an amazing idea by the way! Perhaps paint the warpstone-y bits to look like they're glowing iridescently?

Thanks! I would Love to do something like this, but I have no idea how to do so... I should get my custom gnawholes to test the warpstone in some weeks, gonna do some research to try this kind of effect.

20200830_215125.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice concept. I don't know what you mean with destroyed cities (puts fingers in ears, lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala). But, Skaven in Hysh ..... I don't want to know what they could do in that environment - with the ease of ideas etc. 😱. I mean they won't be able to mess up Teclis plans - he's perfectly capable of doing that all by himself, but still, scary scary .... .

About the Aetherquartz - I bought resin crystals from Green Stuff, as a stand-in for Aetherquartz. And maybe you could use the new paint GW released for the Necrons to paint them suitably warp stone-y (not into 40K, so not sure if that actually fits, but it would be an easy solution if it does). The crystals aren't that great, but they help a lot to save some time, especially if you would stick those on every base. Otherwise you can make those yourself from sprue for example. Hope that helps! 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

So it's been quiet some time since I game any update on the project. Last year I ended focusing more on getting some of the backlog done and had to postpone some skaven (like a clanrat a month), but this year they are comming fast! I finally recived may 3d Printed Gnawholes, Stormvermin and Acolytes (the vermin are incredible hard to found around here, so printing them was the best option to get some).  So far I did a test for each one of them (still getting used to this camera), I hope I will be able to finish all of them by the middle of the year... 

I'm trying to keep the Beige-Light Blue scheme across units and settled for a pale light green tone to make the warpstone+aetherquartz parts. The basing is still a work in progress, I aiming a dessert like + ruin pieces for them, but I need to get some plants and teste painting some rocks has marble. I will look at those Crystals @LuminethMage, thanks for the suggestion!

I will  sit down and write their lore properly some day in the future! The Gnawholes where suposed to look like natural formations, like oasis in the middle of the wastes. Stealing the elemental knowledge form the elves, they used this knowledge to corrupt the land, making it create those crystal formations that work just like gnawholes. 

IMG_20210131_123515.jpg

IMG_20210131_123750.jpg

IMG_20210131_124148.jpg

• Like 2