Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Halfway mark boys, girls and orcs. How’s everybody doing? 

personally knocked my lord relictor our if they park week 1. And I’m now struggling to find time for my decimators conversions and after that three more raptors. Hopefully I can build two hours today and they should be done. 

• Like 2

So, as I plan to have my  first attempt at kit-bashing to make a Scinari Cathallar out of a Mistweaver model (which Teclis Postmaster wills should arrive any day now), I'd really appreciate if some of you could give me a bit of feedback on my plan. Because I have no idea if that at all is feasible or totally harebrained for a beginner to attempt.

I only have bits from the Lumineth box, but luckily there is a quite a lot fo those, and some could fit rather well. 

The things I want to change are:

• Cut off the sword arm of the Mistweaver and replace it with the Warden sword arm from the High Warden (it should be around the same size and also has moon symbols on it, like the Mistweaver model). Alternatively there is the Rider sword from the Dawnrider Captain. It's bigger, has more sun symbols  on it, but the arm part is larger so that might fit better. (I want to get rid of the metal parts that stick of out the Mistweaver's arms too). 
  • Cut off some of the more "spiky" parts of the Mistweaver (the Lumineth have much softer edges, although being pointy aelves...). I could try to add tassels instead, but don't have many, and would have to cut them off of swords and other bits that I might use otherwise, so likely I won't be able to do that).  
  • Don't stick the belt skull on the model (it comes extra, I've checked the sprue on GW's HP), but either cut out the middle part of the High Warden's lamp (has a similar shape) or stick a Lumineth brass rune on it, which is the same rune that the actual Cathallar model has on its helmet. (not shown on the file, also still in the post)
  • Add some spare wheat, which many of the Lumineth models have. 
  • Cut off the spiky end of the staff, and replace it with either the end of a Danwrider spear, or the top of the High Warden's wand (which again has a nice moon symbol on it). Alternatively I could use the wand instead of one of the swords to replace the sword arm. Or both I have two spare wands. 
  • Cut off the metal parts sticking out of the arm that is holding the staff

I don't have used green stuff so far, and only have liquid green stuff on hand to use for small dents etc. So, instead of cutting off some of the parts it might just be better to try to make them more Lumineth-y by painting them accordingly.

I've included a picture of what I want to try. Really thankful for any advice. : ) 

Cathaller KB.png

• Like 3

Looking at the sprue makes me think that should work pretty well. The knee will require some careful slicing and smoothing but shouldn't be too bad.

The sword arm swap looks good. Though the alignment might need some work. Are there shoulder pad type bits you can use to hide some green stuff adjustments with?

I'm concerned about that staff plan though. The spiky detail makes up a ton of the piece and it's deeply integrated.

I'd see if you can find another left arm that has the hand isolated from the arm (the one you have there is aligned with the forearm).

Then drill through the hand and put a piece of brass rod through with the staff top/wand on either end.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Looking at the sprue makes me think that should work pretty well. The knee will require some careful slicing and smoothing but shouldn't be too bad.

The sword arm swap looks good. Though the alignment might need some work. Are there shoulder pad type bits you can use to hide some green stuff adjustments with?

I'm concerned about that staff plan though. The spiky detail makes up a ton of the piece and it's deeply integrated.

I'd see if you can find another left arm that has the hand isolated from the arm (the one you have there is aligned with the forearm).

Then drill through the hand and put a piece of brass rod through with the staff top/wand on either end.

Oh, thank you for the advice with the staff arm. I’ll leave that until last then, and see if I have to do it or not. If everything else goes well, I might just leave it as is, and try to make it look a  bit less gruesome with painting. 

There are no shoulder pats sadly, the closest thing I have are the Warden shields.  But there are a lot of those. I have at least 10 of them which I don’t need. think I could make so kind of cover out of those if needed. 

Good to hear that the rest does at least seem to be possible. 

39 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

You could also use a file/nail file to reshape spiky things into a more crystal appearance and do the old metallic with ink/contrast over it for an Aetherquartz vibe.

That’s a great idea! 

So far those spears/pikes have been resilient against the mishaps I have thrown their way, but yeah I’m sure at some point some of those will be gone. So that’s also a good idea, at the moment I still don’t have a fitting driller and brass rods. But I’ll look into that too. 

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I am so looking forward to this! :)
Do you plan on also using her as a Wind-Temple Wizard for roleplay purposes? I think that just fits perfectly.

I just planned to use her as a normal Scinari Cathallar. Painting the mist in the same way as the smoke of the real Cathaller model. In the description of the Cathallar it says they have to be barefooted in case they overload on negative emotions, so this one is on the edge of loosing control in my mind. That’s why Eldarain’s idea is really fitting. 

But yeah, they whole army has a background story and all the heroes and unit leaders are named. I’m also working on that right now. 

But using the Mistweaver as a Wind Temple Wizard is a great idea! I hadn’t thought about that. 

And a photo of the weekend progress. 17 partly finished (incl. 15 shields). 13 to go. Still having fun so far, which is great. 

52AC7864-1917-4BED-891B-96381B846D4A.jpeg

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

So, I finally got my Mistweaver two days ago, yesterday, over 3 hours, with a few almost catastrophes and some small mistakes made my first attempt at kit-bashing. Was really pretty nerf wracking, but in the end it worked out quite well. 

Thanks to the advice I also gave up on a few of the things I wanted to do - for the better. I have to clean her up a bit, but probably still need another week until my hands stop trembling enough to do that. 

BEF4E45F-591D-466B-BE55-B704C91BD971.jpeg

6B245D1B-44C0-4A92-A8A3-F957BC1BBEA5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 5

52 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

So, I finally got my Mistweaver two days ago, yesterday, over 3 hours, with a few almost catastrophes and some small mistakes made my first attempt at kit-bashing. Was really pretty nerf wracking, but in the end it worked out quite well. 

Thanks to the advice I also gave up on a few of the things I wanted to do - for the better. I have to clean her up a bit, but probably still need another week until my hands stop trembling enough to do that. 

BEF4E45F-591D-466B-BE55-B704C91BD971.jpeg

6B245D1B-44C0-4A92-A8A3-F957BC1BBEA5.jpeg

giphy.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Turned out brilliantly @LuminethMage I was unsure about the tassle swap on the points of the cloak but you pulled them off nicely. Can't wait to see it when you decide to paint her.

Thank you - you surgically pointed out the next problem, I'm thinking about that right now. Because of her role I want to go with something darker then the rest, and which also should fit the other Scinari model, and the Zaitrec scheme. It'll take a bit. At the moment I'm thinking about either a darker grey than my normal units, or purple as the base colour, and go from there. 

And the tassels - those were the worst part next to the arm (which looked really hilarious until I got it mostly right). Not sure if the tassels survive for long though. But I have my photo proof : ) 

How is Teclis proceeding? 

18 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Thank you - you surgically pointed out the next problem, I'm thinking about that right now. Because of her role I want to go with something darker then the rest, and which also should fit the other Scinari model, and the Zaitrec scheme. It'll take a bit. At the moment I'm thinking about either a darker grey than my normal units, or purple as the base colour, and go from there. 

And the tassels - those were the worst part next to the arm (which looked really hilarious until I got it mostly right). Not sure if the tassels survive for long though. But I have my photo proof : ) 

How is Teclis proceeding? 

That is always an exciting/nerve wracking part. What about reversing the scheme of the main force? Swapping the grey to be the detail/spot color? Same metallics and using the same colors in a different ratio should tie her in while still being unique.

Teclis is done (Went with my own scheme for him which turned out really well.)

Everything else on the base is all built and functioning. The Celennar replacement is almost done just another detail pass required.

After that just doing the basing and trying LED lighting for the first time so it's either almost done or rage filled Eldarain will post it near the end of the month without the lighting ;)

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Really looking forward to Teclis, which (probably unsurprisingly) is my favorite character. I also really love the two (baldly painted) models I have. They were pretty great of their time. 

Swapping colours might work yes. It's a good idea! I'm planning to use the same metallics. I read that some people test schemes on black and white print outs, that's something I might try this time to get it right.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Another detail pass was a bit overly simplistic... Still, getting closer every day. 

Also I like the new Avatar @LuminethMage

Very cool reveals this morning!

Yes they are, I was really surprised about the Lumineth reveal. All in all great updates for aelves, I hope the Morathi book will be turn out to be good, it does look really promising. 

The new avatar, that kind of Wizard was almost the only thing I personally missed in the Lumineth release - a clear descendent to the Mage/Archmage. I love both the Cathallar and the Stonemage model, but both are very specific (model and lore) and didn’t work as “my dude” for me. So I’m really looking forward to buying this in December even though I also get Minotaur in leather stockings with it. I’m sure a lot of Lumineth players will be happy that there finally is a real sword wielding model. And all the DoK stuff also looks awesome. 

• Like 1