Expanding Duardin List

Indoctrinator

Hi everyone,

I have just started Age of Sigmar and I have a small Duardin collection that I want to expand up to 2000pts. This is what I have so far:

Warden King

Runelord

20 Longbeards

20 Hammerers

10 Ironbreakers

1 Organ Gun

I am thinking I need to add more artillery and maybe a Gyrocopter or two for contesting objectives.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on what to get next that would be great :)!

Indoctrinator

Hey, just finally played my regular duardin Saturday so I have  a few thoughts. If you are doing Matched Play then you'll need 3+ battlelines which for now is sadly only warriors and longbeards until we get allegiance options. Longbeards are a great bet, you can make your 20 into 2 units of 10 if need be. They buff your units in surprisingly useful ways. 

Copters are fun, weaker in AoS against stronger lists but if using to fly to the side and just claim then all good. Hammerers in proximity to heroes so ignore battleshock--good. Organ guns are nice, if you can get an engineer by your artillery even better. Grab a flame cannon if you can. It's under dwarfs near the end of points in GHB. That's auto mortal wounds. Irondrakes are elite shooting and if they don't move double shots.

OK, I'll leave it there for now. What models do you plan on getting next?

This post was really to try and get some ideas about what to get next, to find out what units I should buy for a competitive 2000pt list.

Your suggestions of the Flame Cannon and the Irondrakes (as well as the Engineer) have definitely been ones that I have been considering and I think I would be very happy to add all of them to my collection. The extra firepower (and mortal wounds) would be brilliant.

It is true I need to add some more battleline units and I am tempted to add more Longbeards to fill out that out.

I am really open to suggestions about what you and other people think would be good choices in expanding the army.

The flame canon is really good for the Mortal wounds but range is a little bit short. The canon is always nice with -2 rend and D6 damage. An engineer (may be two or Grim Burloskson) are a must. 

Ungrim Ironfist is an old model but his command ability is probably the best the Duardin dipossessed have. +1 to hit +1 to wound to a unit of dispossessed.

I like thunderers they're good and can be buffed to become killing machine (if you take 20 of them, you get +1 to hit, with Ungrim ability that's 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound, -1 rend... pretty good.

Hammerers are for the moment our best CC unit. 

For battleline, Longbeards are cool and their abilities can give nice buffs but they're expensive, 160pts vs Warriors 100... sometimes you will need to have cheaper battle line unit to have more points in "better" units. 

A second Organ Gun can also be a good add. 

Since Duardin are very slow, Gyrocopters can be a good idea but be careful in some scenario you'll need 5 or more figs to claim an objective. 

Slayers are really cool to play (especially with Ungrim) but they're not resilient. 

I hope that help... 

the units mentioned above are in the "legacy" warscrolls if I am not mistaken.   For competitive play I would sugest maybe avoiding those units as some tourneys may not allow them, especially as new books come out.

Speaking of which there are Duardin coming soon (Septmeber?) if the rumours are to be believed.

Expanding battleline units would be a good way to go, as they make up a required chunk of your force you want it to be resilient (and allow you to push towards the upper points limits in the GHB).

Have you thought about building towards a Warscroll Battalion?

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

@Veterannoob the Miners sound like a good choice with the need to have something to reach far away objectives

@Sombremine the units you have recommended sound great too, trying to squeeze everything into 2000pts would be tricky but I do like the sound of 20 thunderers (with their plus one to hit) and an extra cannon and/or organ gun. I would like to get Ungrim Ironfist but I think it might be hard getting the model as I think it is OOP now.

@HunterB I am mainly thinking of using my army in friendly play with friends rather than going to tournaments with it. I think my local gaming group are fine with legacy scrolls. However your point about the new Duardin book coming out soon does make me worried that I might end up getting models that won't be supported under a new book. Also a new book would give me many options on new things to look through and consider buying so I am tempted to hold off until Septemeber before going ahead with my purchases. The Warscroll Battalions look really quite nice (I just had a look through them again). The bonuses look great but are they worth the points? I could certainly fit in a Dispossessed Artillery Battery in the list I am thinking considering. Also do you think the bonuses are worth it for all the extra units in the Dispossessed Clan Throng (like I said they do look nice)?

Here is the 2000pt list I am thinking about going with now:

Warden King 120pts

Dwarf Engineer 80pts

10 Ironbreakers 160pts

20 Hammerers 400pts

10 Miners 120pts

20 Thunderers 240pts

10 Longbeards 140pts

10 Longbeards 140pts

10 Dwarf Warriors 100pts

Organ Gun 120pts

Cannon 180pts

Flame Cannon 200pts

I am thinking as well of adding a Dispossessed Artillery Battery Warscroll Battalion to the list and as it may be hard to get a Flame Cannon (they might be OOP) I am thinking about swopping it for another Organ Gun and a Gyrocopter. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

I'm hoping the new dwarfs in the coming months answer a lot of the problems we currently have (movement, mortal wounds,  lack of heavy hitters etc)

In the meanwhile I've augmented my dwarfs with empire and I'm liking the results so far. Granted I've only had a few games, but the difference a few mobile units and a bit of magic can make is huge. (yeah I know, sacrilege!)

On 8/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, Sombremine said:

The flame canon is really good for the Mortal wounds but range is a little bit short. The canon is always nice with -2 rend and D6 damage. An engineer (may be two or Grim Burloskson) are a must. 

Ungrim Ironfist is an old model but his command ability is probably the best the Duardin dipossessed have. +1 to hit +1 to wound to a unit of dispossessed.

I like thunderers they're good and can be buffed to become killing machine (if you take 20 of them, you get +1 to hit, with Ungrim ability that's 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound, -1 rend... pretty good.

Hammerers are for the moment our best CC unit. 

For battleline, Longbeards are cool and their abilities can give nice buffs but they're expensive, 160pts vs Warriors 100... sometimes you will need to have cheaper battle line unit to have more points in "better" units. 

A second Organ Gun can also be a good add. 

Since Duardin are very slow, Gyrocopters can be a good idea but be careful in some scenario you'll need 5 or more figs to claim an objective. 

Slayers are really cool to play (especially with Ungrim) but they're not resilient. 

I hope that help... 

I am 99% sure that Ungrim's ability does not effect ranged units, only the combat phase :/

Archived