Competitive Fyreslayers. Halp meee!!!

Papapene

Auric are squishy. I tried tunneling them a few times and once it was required to push a gun line--NO ONE was moving forward (hate those games>:() to shoot a guy off the objective to win. 15" range is good, but they'll come to you much faster than advancing, even though 19" total range after move is sweet, and that monster magma cool thing rarely works for me).  hearthguard berz can get in, and do mortal wounds. If you have a re-roll buff in any way on them it helps. And ward save buff to 4+ w/hero is just delicious.

Also, as before with magmabomb, get your Grimwrath as close to as many units as possible in combat, better yet ones that can't reach him, as your 6+ ward improves one per every enemy unit within 3". A seraphon opponent swarmed me and couldn't kill me since he kept giving me a 2+ ward:)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing with the attached list. It seems to have all the key elements for a Fyreslayer list in my opinion. 

Its a fairly solid Brick list as you don't lose many models while you keep things in range of the Battlesmith (Zulkites can have a 4+ save, re-rolling, then a 4+ ignore roll) so they don't go anywhere. 

The main issues come when you have to spread out but by keeping the Battlesmith central and careful placement you can really stretch his aura. 

Artifact/Trait wise I've been going with Reckless to explode the core of the army when needed, the Phoenix Stone on the General and the +1damage weapon on the Grimwrath.

image.png

Yup, seems daft not to take the formation to be honest. I see it as a pick up from a failed charge. I put it up (usually) on the 3 BL units, if they get their charges off brilliant, I've got my charges, if they don't I'm slightly tanker when they charge me if I don't have the next turn. 

I have been thinking about a similar list. Maybe you should switch I dont know maybe the grimwrath for another battlesmith since it can all fall apart if the opponent have something to just snipe him off first turn plus you get a bigger aura.

I have have opted for a alpha strike list instead which I think is the other list that could work mainly because it suites my playingstyle better.

I have been thinking about a similar list. Maybe you should switch I dont know maybe the grimwrath for another battlesmith since it can all fall apart if the opponent have something to just snipe him off first turn plus you get a bigger aura.

I have opted for a alpha strike list instead which I think is the other list that could work mainly because it suites my playingstyle better.

The thing that jumped off the pages to me when I was checking out the war scrolls was the alpha strike capabilities. This army with that alpha striking and the massive mortal wound output potential. I honestly think you'll see Fyreslayers winning tournaments soon. There's so many contingencies for failure built into the army. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Papapene said:

The thing that jumped off the pages to me when I was checking out the war scrolls was the alpha strike capabilities. This army with that alpha striking and the massive mortal wound output potential. I honestly think you'll see Fyreslayers winning tournaments soon. There's so many contingencies for failure built into the army. I love it!

I think the only time you see a fyreslayer winning  a tournament is within the ironbark formation. ?

But please prove me wrong.

yeah, solo Fyreslayers w/out other GA Order winning a tourney would be amazing. Though this conversation is making me want to throw down with a more competitive solo fyreslayers game to see how I do. Last infantry hero: 2 smiter, 3 grimwrath, battlesmith, did quite well and major victory. hm...

This is the maximize fyreslayer thoughess list I have been thinking about. Probably very hard to break but very slow.

Link to Scrollbuilder

And this is the alpha strike list I am building. The idea is to tunnel 20 vulkites and 20 auric Hearthguard and together with the Magmadroths break one flank while the other vulkites and battlesmith hold the line.

Link to Scrollbuilder

Yup, I think I agree with you on that being able to toughest list you can build. Only one Droth does slightly worry me for reaching out, but then again it's not the end of the world as you gain the 2nd BS and the 2nd GWB in trade for the RF's Droth. 

The sheids are something I want to try out but it's another 3 boxes of chaps to build and paint at some point. But then again if some events go to 2500pts I'll need them sooner or later anyway.

29 minutes ago, Andreas said:

This is the maximize fyreslayer thoughess list I have been thinking about. Probably very hard to break but very slow.

Link to Scrollbuilder

And this is the alpha strike list I am building. The idea is to tunnel 20 vulkites and 20 auric Hearthguard and together with the Magmadroths break one flank while the other vulkites and battlesmith hold the line.

Link to Scrollbuilder

which units would you tunnel? It's interesting to see the different ideas of a tough Fyreslayers force (in a good way :))

10 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

which units would you tunnel? It's interesting to see the different ideas of a tough Fyreslayers force (in a good way :))

In the second list I use Runesons command abillity and the Runesmiter on Magmadroths once per battle abillity then I run forward with them. Then I set up 20 vulkites and 20 auric Hearthguard infront of them and shoot withe Hearthguard (reroll wound rolls) and charge with the vulkites (roll 3 dice then reroll one and chose the 2 highest). Then I win the turn roll ? and shoot with Hearthguard, shoot with the Magmadroths and charge with Magmadroths and then there is nothing left. ?

Gotta say though I'm excited to see so many lists here using at least one battlesmith. I'm getting a second like many of you are planning. What I wonder is how do you plan to use yours? If placed w/in 8" you get a nice armor save reroll if not taking mortal wounds but do you plan on strategic use of his death? I like mine to die at the right time over an objective or key fighting line to get max use of reroll hit and wound, even if on the auric shooting at the very least.

Thoughts?

I'm gonns type this here but we could always make it its own thread. Pleased to see we all agree on 2x10 hearthguard berserkers just curious how you use them or plan to use them in your lists.

I usually tunnel both big vulkite units but if during set up I see I need mortal wounds across the board vs a target or some other unit is better left on an objective I can plow them into someone's flank. Sadly only 1" range but as long as hero gives them the 4+ ward. I'm good. Though if they can utilize a reroll hit rather than, or in addition. To wounds then those mortal wounds come better.

http://bit.ly/2bDpzBt

Just adding my tuppence worth. This is what I've been using recently. Hopefully taking it or something similar to a tourney next month. The Hearthguard are the tactical tunnelling troops. The rest objective grabs/launches itself at the enemy. 

About 50/50 success rate so far, but my opponents tend towards pretty filthy tourney lists. (Vex-rets, hurricanum-hunters etc)

1 hour ago, Veterannoob said:

Gotta say though I'm excited to see so many lists here using at least one battlesmith. I'm getting a second like many of you are planning. What I wonder is how do you plan to use yours? If placed w/in 8" you get a nice armor save reroll if not taking mortal wounds but do you plan on strategic use of his death? I like mine to die at the right time over an objective or key fighting line to get max use of reroll hit and wound, even if on the auric shooting at the very least.

Thoughts?

Well if you manage to get the battlesmith killed next to 20 Auric Hearthguard you would delete any unit comming to close, like one shoot alareille on average etc.

27 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Very interesting. Why 5/5/5 and not 10/5. And no battlesmith? (For example tunnel 20 and change one runesmiter to a battlesmith).

5/5/5 for multiple objective grabbing. Lack of battlesmith simply due to 6 character max, and the 3 Grimwrath excelling themselves every game. 2 tunnelling units rather than 1 for the same reason, tactical flexibility and objective grabbing. 

I'm gonns type this here but we could always make it its own thread. Pleased to see we all agree on 2x10 hearthguard berserkers just curious how you use them or plan to use them in your lists.

I usually tunnel both big vulkite units but if during set up I see I need mortal wounds across the board vs a target or some other unit is better left on an objective I can plow them into someone's flank. Sadly only 1" range but as long as hero gives them the 4+ ward. I'm good. Though if they can utilize a reroll hit rather than, or in addition. To wounds then those mortal wounds come better.

I was thinking 2x20 of HBs... One lot in the forge brethren formation so when I'm all up in the opponents grill I can drop them in and pile in and attack twice... Maybe even use the rune masters ability so I get 2x40 attacks(in theory).

44 minutes ago, Papapene said:

I was thinking 2x20 of HBs... One lot in the forge brethren formation so when I'm all up in the opponents grill I can drop them in and pile in and attack twice... Maybe even use the rune masters ability so I get 2x40 attacks(in theory).

Nice! After today's battle using ALL my Fyreslayers (3,320 pts) I agree, and my 2 units of 10 hearthguard berzerkers (flaming axe) NEED to become 2x20. You have the right of it, sir, and that formation would really shine with 40 hearthguard.

Nice! After today's battle using ALL my Fyreslayers (3,320 pts) I agree, and my 2 units of 10 hearthguard berzerkers (flaming axe) NEED to become 2x20. You have the right of it, sir, and that formation would really shine with 40 hearthguard.

What sore of mortal wound output were you getting with 2x10?? Should be able 5 per combat right??

2 minutes ago, Papapene said:

What sore of mortal wound output were you getting with 2x10?? Should be able 5 per combat right??

BWHAHAHA! I'll forgive you since you don't know me and how I roll dice. :) Yes, normally you should get 5 (=3 maybe for me and my bad dice) though sometimes they let loose (today auric hearthguard take 11/12 Manfredd's wounds in a shot and hearthguard cause 1-2 mortal wounds until wrecking knights w/8 finally in activation). I'm seeing more potential for larger units as long as I remember to keep a hero alive close to keep 4+ward save.

BWHAHAHA! I'll forgive you since you don't know me and how I roll dice. [emoji4] Yes, normally you should get 5 (=3 maybe for me and my bad dice) though sometimes they let loose (today auric hearthguard take 11/12 Manfredd's wounds in a shot and hearthguard cause 1-2 mortal wounds until wrecking knights w/8 finally in activation). I'm seeing more potential for larger units as long as I remember to keep a hero alive close to keep 4+ward save.

I'm going to try running two magmadroths and a celestial hurricanum up the field and then dropping in one unit of 20 so they're all be close the opponent will most likely countercharge or pile in around the HBs to get to the magmadroths(thinking they are more of a threat) which will leave my unit with plenty of option and plenty of opportunities to attack prime targets. With 20 of them hitting on twos (hurricanum), attacking twice. I should be able to put out about 20 mortal wounds and that's just with mediocre rolling... I'll divide up my attacks between target and most likely the unit will get crushed, just under share amount of dice rolls on them, over 2 turns then tunnel in the other squad of 20 HBs. Maybe into the fray or onto and objective?? I don't suspect that bulk of the army to last long just because of the mortal wound rolls from the HBs, magmadroths and celestial hurricanum. Gonna turn these guys into a really gritty, horrible attrition army. Still undecided on whether to make the Runeson on Magmadroth the general(buff to charge) or the Hurricanum(two inspiring presence casts), I guess I'll figure that out from play testing.

Archived