Competitive Fyreslayers. Halp meee!!!

Papapene

Hey guys!

I'm about to start a second army and I need some advice. I play Ironjawz and I love them but they are fairly inflexible and id like something that packs a bit more of a punch so I wandered over to the Order forums!

I was looking at Fyreslayers and man they pack some punch! I was thinking about running an alpha strike type army with 2 max squads of Hearthguard Berzerkers with Auric Runesmiters. Run an Auric Runeson on Magmadroth and a Celestial Hurricanum up the field so I can get the charge buff plus the hit roll buff on the Berzerkers when they tunnel in. In the back field I want to have 2 squads of Kurnoth Hunters with bows(in range of the Hurricanum theoretically) and perhaps some judicators with bows(battleline) and have them picking off heroes providing buffs???

I've only been in the hobby a year or so but this seems like it could work quite well. Has anyone run anything like this before or perhaps played something like it??

Thanks in advance guys [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am building a fyreslayer Army but I havnt got that many games in so my advise is theory hammer. But I have been thinking alot regarding fyreslayers tactics.

I think that alpha striking fyreslayers is the way to go if you play them otherwise they are just to slow. But I also think that out of the three units you have available for fyreslayers the Hearthguard Berzerkers is the one least suitable for alpha strike.

The Hearthguard Berzerkers need to make a 9" charge without any rerolls. The extra save is dependent on having a hero close by and the runesmiter is not a durable hero.

The vulkite berzerkers on the other hand can reroll one dice for making the charge which gives them at least a 50/50 chance and they still get the save if the opponent pick off the runesmiter.

Even better tunnel a unit of Auric Hearthguard. Now you are guaranteed to make some damage since you dont need to make a charge roll, you shoot.

My idea is to tunnel one unit of vulkites and one unit of Auric Hearthguard close to a runeson on magmadroth who makes the chance of making the charge 75%. And if you fail anyway you use the vulkites to screen the Auric Hearthguard. And you dont need to place them close to the runeson to have some chance of making the alpha strike successfull. With Hearthguard Berzerkers you have to.

Thanks for the insight. My line of thinking with the Berzerkers was the potential for massive mortal wound output! If you hit with the pole arms you get to roll another dice and if you hit a 3 the unit you hit takes a mortal wound right?? With the celestial hurricanum they'll be hitting on 2s. Plus they have the super save so I figure they'll be quite durable and super Killy! Like I said, I play Ironjawz and the lack of mortal wound output is a real bummer. I picked Fyreslayers and tried to make an army based around they ability haha. If you take them in the battalion they get two attacks each! Potential 40 mortal wounds!!

hey papapene i kinda threw most of my thought on your reddit post, but i'll put a little here. The fyreslayers have a high Tier list, but as i haven't seen many folks play it, i can't say i know its tier one. Fyreslayers play synergy hammer where they layer buffs on a single unit or two that go out and blow up the world.  The problem with them is that these units are pretty slow, and they don't have enough models to protect the heros that provide these buffs effectively. 

Ironjaws however, are indeed a Tier 1 Competitive list, but most people play the game as a melee combat smash list. Why?? are your damage is spread across a large area that makes this army have a difficult time destroy really tanky units, and a such they can get stuck. However, ironjaws are stupid fast, and take up a lot of space on the table.  2 or 3 units of ard boys can make a battle line that block a whole table if you want, and with formations many of thier models can get more than half way across the board in one turn, and some can do turn 1 charges that can keep your enemy wasting many turns trying to get to objectives, due to Melee obstruction.

12 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

hey papapene i kinda threw most of my thought on your reddit post, but i'll put a little here. The fyreslayers have a high Tier list, but as i haven't seen many folks play it, i can't say i know its tier one. 

What does this list look like?

You could try using the Lords of the Lodge formation. That way, when you tunnel up with your unit of 30 Hearthguard Berserkers, you have a very good chance of winning the initiative roll (+3 to that roll due to the formation as long as heroes survive) to get a double turn. If you fail the charge first time, you'll probably get another chance next turn.

I think you can deploy the two Runesmiters with the Berserkers and the Dude on Magmadroth all as one drop (i.e. within the formation) since the Runesmiters are deployed with another unit (cf. the Warpgrinder).

I play solo Fyreslayers and over 50 games now and had some success but I am not a competitive player, so feel free to disregard any of this. :) 

Our synergies come from heroes and for Fyreslayers to be truly competitive like the UK tournaments the obvious answer is include in a GA which it looks like you are doing. Nonetheless, here's some thoughts only on the Fyreslayer part so maybe you can see combos with other Order units.

• vulkites w/double weapons reroll all to hit dice and having at least 20 to endure that first hit or charge with 4+ ward is huge. Especially if you tunnel them (or two units so they are not targets in the game before they arrive) and the 9" charge, reroll one die from horn, this is excellent and I suggest 25-30 vulkites if you can, but play around with what you have or proxy even to decide how many models you want to buy.
  • auric hearthguard are squishy and if you have aelf shooting just leave 'em
  • hearthguard berzerkers must keep a hero near to get 4+ ward, do the flaming polestrike to deal that mortal wound on a 3+ for each hit
  • Once the smiter has been up he can use hero ability your next turn to reroll wounds. yay! 
  • Consider also tunneling the whichever-hero you build on the magmabomb, but no ward saves on him, remember. The magmabomb (this is why I still call it that) works best when in a pocket of enemy units, preferably not only single foes because you can tail lash a friendly love tap at the end of each combat phase and you bleed on every phase you take damage, so hero, shooting and combat if they attack you. It's our only output for mortal wounds between magmabomb & heartguard berzerkers.
  • Take a grimwrath berzerker cuz ZOMG good if you roll anywhere near a norm (unlike me who fails a 50% chance 85% of the time) :) 
  • Order buffs on your Fyreslaayers can be cool, too. 

Good luck!

The vulkite berzerkers on the other hand can reroll one dice for making the charge which gives them at least a 50/50 chance and they still get the save if the opponent pick off the runesmiter.

I looked at the warscroll for the VB but I didn't see any special ability that buffs their charge??

If you use the Auric Runeson on Magmadroth as your general, and tunnel up the vulkites with at least one in range of him then they are charging 3d6 pick the highest with 1 reroll. Suppose the reckless trait from the handbook could help as well but not tried yet and seems wasted on vulkites that already get a reroll die ability. 

If you use the Auric Runeson on Magmadroth as your general, and tunnel up the vulkites with at least one in range of him then they are charging 3d6 pick the highest with 1 reroll. Suppose the reckless trait from the handbook could help as well but not tried yet and seems wasted on vulkites that already get a reroll die ability. 

That's the plan!

Another question guys, probably a stupid one... When you do the tunnelling can you tunnel in a whole battalion by any chance..?

It shouldn't be too hard to coordinate the army in such a way that when they tunnel in they're all in range so I can get the buffs.

Update!

Purchased 2 magmadroths and 40 6 packs of hearthguard Berzerkers. Should be able to play this weekend!

I completely agree with Veterannoob on the Grimwarth Berzerker. A true Fyreslayer general should never leave home without one. Besides that I have found that the humble Vulkite Berzerkers usually do most of the killing in my battles and can be surprisingly effective (always take the two axe option, Grimnir approves that).

I feel like I've really stumped upon something super powerful taking the Hearthguard Berzerkers but I don't see a lot of people using it or even thinking about using it. I'm not so delusional as to think that I'm the only one whose seen this. How come this won't work?!? Statistically u should be able to pump out around 5-10 (conservatively) mortal wounds per combat! I'll have a hurricanum or something to to buff their hit rolls to a 2+. And there's the regular damage aswell. What's not good about my cunning plan guys??

Well they do hit harder than the vulkites but the difference isnt as big as one would think if do some calculations. The downside is that you are always running the risk that the opponent just kill your heros and they are not battleline if you do not run mono fyreslayers with runefather as general. 

And also they are in my option harder to paint and do not look as good as the vulkites.

But with that said, go for it! ?

I've bought 2 magmadroths so I should be able to keep them alive "in the thick of it" for atleast 2 - 3 rounds of combat. Well I'm in now and I'm invested so next step is to let you know how it goes haha. I'm going to attempt something pretty big here and try paint them like they are made of molten fire. Make the edges of their armour and weaponry blue like it's over heated. It's gonna be a long journey but it'll look fantastic if I can pull it off!

Archived