A tactical slaves to darkness army?

Jammeg

So I want to begin a ravagers sort of army, with a few of these  requirements-

3 units of 10 chaos warriors (paired hand weapons)

Sorcerer lord (on foot)

Iron golems (probably just 9 for objectives)

Gorebeast chariot

5 chaos Knights (3 lances 2 ensorcelled weapons)

Godsworn hunt and Theddra Skull scryer- I will be fighting stormcasts and I really feel like these people have potential as long as they hide from judicators(and other range)

I would like to probably also have some marauders (foot and on horse) as well as a total of 6 leaders for ravagers. Anyone has any suggestions to fill in to 2000 points? I am opening to feedback on my existing list

Edited by Jammeg
  • Like 1

The FAQ says no mixed weapons, so that unit of Knights is right out.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to suggest, since I'm not sure what level of competitiveness you're interested in or why the units you describe are requirements. Personally, I like the knights with all ensorcelled weapons, and feel multiple sorcerers has been pretty strong for me, but I dunno if that's something you'd like. Also, depending on what Realm artefacts you choose, the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak from the new start collecting box can be absolute murder. I run as Ulgu, and take the artefact that boosts rend on his axe. It's very killy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jammeg said:

So I want to begin a ravagers sort of army, with a few of these  requirements-

3 units of 10 chaos warriors (paired hand weapons)

Sorcerer lord (on foot)

Iron golems (probably just 9 for objectives)

Gorebeast chariot

5 chaos Knights (3 lances 2 ensorcelled weapons)

Godsworn hunt and Theddra Skull scryer- I will be fighting stormcasts and I really feel like these people have potential as long as they hide from judicators(and other range)

I would like to probably also have some marauders (foot and on horse) as well as a total of 6 leaders for ravagers. Anyone has any suggestions to fill in to 2000 points? I am opening to feedback on my existing list

A few things:

First of all, Chaos Warriors should either be taken as MSU sized with only 5 models, or in units of at least 15 models.  Why?  At 10 models, your opponent needs to do exactly 2 damage to remove their re-roll saves ability.  This... is not hard to do for most armies.  Additionally, offensively a unit of chaos warriors isn't really something that your opponent has to respect, as their damage output is pretty pitiful.  This means that you either take 5 to get MSU objective holders, or you take 15+ so that way you have a solid anvil that isn't moving without your opponent dedicating some serious attention to it (minimum of 12 damage to do to get rid of the save re-rolls).

Second, I would not put Iron Golems into my main force, and instead leave them to the side as one of the units that can be summoned in on a table edge.  Basically, they are a bunch of chaos warriors with worse damage output that can't take marks, and get their save re-rolls from not moving instead of unit size.  They occupy a similar niche to chaos warriors as well.  If you were to run 0 chaos warriors, I would consider bringing some in the main force as a somewhat durable screening unit, but with chaos warriors in your list they don't really serve a purpose.

Third, the Gorebeast Chariot is terrible.  I say this having 2 of them.  Offensively, the damage output is truly mediocre, and the only thing it really has going for it is that if it charges multiple units it can do d3 mortal wounds to several instead of just a single target.  The only way to make them semi-usable is to put them in a ruinbringer warband and use them as overly expensive mortal wounding cruise missiles.  A purpose that is also better served by the basic Chaos Chariot.  If you insist on running one, go for it, but just be aware that your army would likely be improved by taking a command point and still playing down 100 points.

Fourth, Chaos Knights.  They FAQ'd them.  You have to chose either lances or ensorcelled weapons, and you cannot mix and match.  From personal experience, I would say that 9/10 you will do better with ensorcelled weapons vs lances, but you do you.

Fifth, from my own experience, ravagers are fun and fluffy and you would do better to drop them and run despoilers instead.  If you insist on running ravagers for fluffy reasons, then go for it.  But I've found that StD eat command points like candy already, and Ravagers just demand even more to get their summoning going.  However, they have no real way to generate CP's, which means that you are asking even more from an already CP starved army.

All this being said, if you are wanting to run around a Chaos Warrior core, I would look to run the Plaguetouched Warband, which requires 8 mortal units in your army and can reflect mortal wounds back before you even start saving against them.  I would run something like this:

Ravagers from Ulgu, all with Nurgle mark
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
    Command Trait: Flames of Spite
    Artefact: Dimensional Blade (on ax)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
    Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate
    Artefact: Mark of the High Favored
    Spell: Mask of Darkness
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
    Master of Deception
    Spell: Mask of Darkness

15 Chaos Warriors
15 Chaos Warriors
5 Chaos Knights
40 Chaos Marauders
Warshrine

Plaguetouched Warband
Command Point
Darkfire Daemonrift

Iron Golems would then be summoned in on a board edge.  Warriors can be buffed by Warshrine to have a 3+ save and re-roll wounds, which gives you re-rolling hit and wound rolls with that backing them up.  Note that this army is going to be dealing more damage by your opponents hitting themselves due to your battalion than due to you actually killing them.  The only thing in this list that has good damage output is the block of marauders and the Karkadrak (note, the Karkadrak does almost as much damage as a block of 15 warriors to a 5+ save, and more to a 4+ save... which is either saying good things about the Karkadrak or Very, Very bad things about the warriors...)

• Like 5

Thanks for your feedback. The reason this is a Ravagers army is that I already have an effective despoilers one, so I want to experiment with new things. I probably will get rid of the gorebeast and replace it for command points ( I am simply doing this so I can use Rally The Tribes each turn) As for the Karkadrak, he’s fun and a great line breaker but is just to many points for me to use competitively. Would a darkoath leader and possibly Thredda skull scryer with her band of warriors make up for that? Although vulnerable to range, using the mask of darkness spell could get them in combat quickly?

I will also change my 3 units of 10 warriors to two of 15 ( thanks, good point) 

With was the Nurgle touch, it is definitely useful but I would like to be undivided, as that aura ability of ignoring Battleshock and the ignoring damage on 6s if the model is a general can be useful as you can change general every turn. The second reason is, most of my painting last year was devoted to the guys with patterns on there armour and all that, it would probably give me a breakdown to paint over that. 

I’ll have the Warshrine, and depending on weather or not I’m fighting death I’ll either take the daemon drift or more marauders. My goal will be to use extra command points to summon on iron golems and more marauder, taking objectives with sheer numbers. Good old chaos

As a final note from this post I probably won’t be playing ultra competitive and I will give it lots of more thought listening to you but I really want this to be a rabble of undivided jerks with some tactics behind the war horns 

Okay, so I've made my first full army list for this army. It's not finished and there are a few problems with it, but here it is

Chaos Lord on manticore- eternal vendetta and cloak of the relentless conqueror

Chaos Sorcerer lord- bolstered by hate and master of deception, with mask of darkness spell

Thredda skull scryer- master of deception and mark of the high favoured also knows mask of darkness spell

Darkoath chieftain- flames of spite and desercrator gautnlet

15 man unit of maurader horsemen (with javelins)

5 man unit of knights (ensorcelled weapons)

15 man chaos warriors- paired hand weapons

1 Chaos Warshrine

40 mauraders

Godsworn hunt

2 command points

Which battalion should I use?

I will also try summon on mauraders and iron golems every turn. I'm full open to feedback!

On 4/17/2020 at 2:01 AM, Jammeg said:

Thanks for your feedback. The reason this is a Ravagers army is that I already have an effective despoilers one, so I want to experiment with new things. I probably will get rid of the gorebeast and replace it for command points ( I am simply doing this so I can use Rally The Tribes each turn) As for the Karkadrak, he’s fun and a great line breaker but is just to many points for me to use competitively. Would a darkoath leader and possibly Thredda skull scryer with her band of warriors make up for that? Although vulnerable to range, using the mask of darkness spell could get them in combat quickly?

I will also change my 3 units of 10 warriors to two of 15 ( thanks, good point) 

With was the Nurgle touch, it is definitely useful but I would like to be undivided, as that aura ability of ignoring Battleshock and the ignoring damage on 6s if the model is a general can be useful as you can change general every turn. The second reason is, most of my painting last year was devoted to the guys with patterns on there armour and all that, it would probably give me a breakdown to paint over that. 

I’ll have the Warshrine, and depending on weather or not I’m fighting death I’ll either take the daemon drift or more marauders. My goal will be to use extra command points to summon on iron golems and more marauder, taking objectives with sheer numbers. Good old chaos

As a final note from this post I probably won’t be playing ultra competitive and I will give it lots of more thought listening to you but I really want this to be a rabble of undivided jerks with some tactics behind the war horns 

I've tried playing undivided, and while having a 6+ from the general and then another 6+ from a warshrine feels really good... you don't do damage.  Like, seriously, the damage output from undivided is pitiful.  If you are determined that you want to try to play the objective game and control space, you are more than welcome to try.  But be prepared to lose a lot of games.

Next up, Theddra Skull scryer.  She doesn't have Mark of Chaos, and she also doesn't have any of the chaos gods as a keyword.  This means that if you run her, you don't get ANY aura buffs.  She literally can't have the keyword for any of them.  Similarly, the darkoath warqueen and darkoath chieftan are also lacking Mark of Chaos.  This doesn't mean don't play them if you really want to.  However, be aware that just like the warcry warbands, they can't get any buffs from Mark of Chaos, or carry the marks for other units.  Also, be aware that mask of darkness affects a single unit, which means that you can use that to teleport either Thredda OR her band of warriors, but because they are two separate units you can't teleport them together.

Lastly, taking a look at the list you posted, you said 2 command points.  You are aware that you are allowed to buy a maximum of 1 command point, right?