Phoenix Guard potential alternate head

mikethefish

So I hate the Phoenix Guard heads.  Like...loath everything about them.  I have taken it as a personal hobby challenge to make the unit into something I actually like.  

Basically I think if I can swap the heads, I can live with the rest of the model.  I want them to look a bit wierd and different - something that fits into the wierder aspects of AoS.

guardian_helmets_03.jpg

So these are meant to be alternate Eldar heads, but I think if I cut off or plug up those little intake ports on the jawline, and then painted them a gold metallic color, it might work well.  Still not sure...

My other thought are these guys...

hooded_heads_kkk_001.jpg

A bit more prosaic fantasy theme, the hoods make them look fairly mysterious - which fits into their no-speaking fluff.  My only concern is if they look elfy enough.

What do you folks think?

16 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

i think the bottom you could get away with if you want to play official games, and they fit better with a fantasy aesthetic as well

Depends on your definition of official games.  There's not a big tournament in the country (Adepticon, LVO or whatever) who would forbid a basic head swap.  Even my local GW store doesn't care about 3rd party bits, as long as the base kit is GW.  So I'd feel pretty safe swapping heads out.

As for the sci-fi helmets, my particular City has a decidedly steampunk theme.  So I think of those helmets and being like the Aelf version of steampunk.  But I'm not sure I want it, still.  Will think about it

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

The top one is too much scifi-esque in my opinion. If you would want to go with the second one, why not just get Wildwood ranger heads instead? they pretty similar if not the same aesthetics as these ones. 

Because it would cost a lot more.  The Puppetswar heads are about six bucks for five.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 12:24 PM, mikethefish said:

So I hate the Phoenix Guard heads.  Like...loath everything about them.  I have taken it as a personal hobby challenge to make the unit into something I actually like.  

Basically I think if I can swap the heads, I can live with the rest of the model.  I want them to look a bit wierd and different - something that fits into the wierder aspects of AoS.

guardian_helmets_03.jpg

So these are meant to be alternate Eldar heads, but I think if I cut off or plug up those little intake ports on the jawline, and then painted them a gold metallic color, it might work well.  Still not sure...

My other thought are these guys...

hooded_heads_kkk_001.jpg

A bit more prosaic fantasy theme, the hoods make them look fairly mysterious - which fits into their no-speaking fluff.  My only concern is if they look elfy enough.

What do you folks think?

If you dislike the heads... any chance you'd feel inclined to sell them to me? I live in australia

• 4 weeks later...