Getting started - help please

Darren2607

Hi there,

I have been looking for a skirmish game to get into and from the generally positive reviews i have read, it seems Warcry could be the one.

How is the game holding up at the moment? plenty of replayability? My only concern was that it maybe appeared a bit simple, with lack of range it possibly just ending up  in a central melee each game.

I see the starter set is no longer officially available, but i assume that is still the best place to start if i can get a copy? 

what should i then purchase after that?

Many thanks!

The game is mostly combat focused and designed as a short and light skirmishing game. You can play one-off matches; a structured campaign with others or you can use its novel individual campaign mode. The latter basically lets you and others build and vary your warband and take it through its own campaign of battles, but without requiring any fixed group of people to play against. So its great for pickup games in a less formal environment. 

How its holding up varies area to area, but thus far its seeming to be holding its own really well. Being fast its great for short gaming sessions; perhaps as you wait to start a main AoS or 40K or other game for the evening; or soon after etc... 

The way the game is built it uses a random draw card system to let you deploy terrain (from official GW Warcry terrain packs which have the cards inside the box); then you can draw cards for random elements in the match including roaming monsters. Then you simply deploy your warbands and play. So the startup can be really easy and simplistic too. 

If you want to get started and you've not got the core set then:

There's a new starter collection https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warcry-Starter-Collection-EN-2019 all you're missing is the models to play. 

Otherwise you can pick up the following on their own:

Core Rule Book
Battleplan Cards
Any one of the terrain sets (they all come with terrain, board and tokens as well as deployment cards)

From there the next choice is models. If you want to go for the warcry warbands if you get the "Warcry" brand boxes of the bands they will come with models and cards in the boxed set. If you get the AoS brand ones then you get the same models, but two sets of them in the box. You also don't get the cards for gaming. However the stats are all in the core book anyway - the cards are purely a game aid. 
Note 

However if you want to use one of the other armies in the game you will want to grab their card pack as well. Note the card packs do run out of stock; however if you get the Tome of Champions you not only get all the stats for the units in the game currently, but also a host of additional gameplay modes and quests. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Darren2607 said:

Hi there,

I have been looking for a skirmish game to get into and from the generally positive reviews i have read, it seems Warcry could be the one.

How is the game holding up at the moment? plenty of replayability? My only concern was that it maybe appeared a bit simple, with lack of range it possibly just ending up  in a central melee each game.

I see the starter set is no longer officially available, but i assume that is still the best place to start if i can get a copy? 

what should i then purchase after that?

Many thanks!

I agree with what @Overread has said above; also, in relation to your specific concerns, plenty of replay ability due to the random draw of cards to determine different aspects of each game. Because each game has specific and differing victory conditions, it also stops it from becoming bogged down in a central melee. In reality, very few games end up this way, as there are plenty of tactical choices to make.

the original starter set is probably the best buy if you can find it, but only because it’s convenient and gives you everything you need in one go. After that I’d agree you want Tome of champions, and then when you’re used to the game a bit get the monsters and mercenaries book to add more variety. Aside from those, you can just buy as many warbands and warband cards as you want to play. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...