Bullgores weapons.

Feahitor28

Hey guys! I just picked up a few of these and wondering what to arm them with. The two-handed axes are tempting with -2 rend and 3 damage but then they only have 2 attacks. I'm really not sure. The shield add a bit of staying power. What do you guys think!? Thanks!

From what I've seen the two handed ones are better.  Remember to make sure your Doombull can give them the +1 to Wound and then you're gaining extra attacks anyway through Bloodgreed (even better if you're running Bullgor Stampede).

Shields only work in close combat and I'd rather be doing more damage there.

I was tempted to have a unit of each, but I'll be rolling two units with two-handed axes and one with double hand weapons (since I want them to look like the Khorne-worshipping ones from Godbeasts).

I have one unit of each, mainly for aesthetic reasons - I want some obvious difference between the units.  However, I do also like having units with slightly different roles as I have a pure warherd army. 

Having said that, 2 handed weapons are enjoyably brutal. :)

I plan on running a unit each of shields and greataxes for aesthetic reasons, but I'm building the greataxe unit first. That's definitely the best weapon option out of the three, imo, and the shield is the least efficient choice, but bullgors are a good unit for their points whatever you arm them with, so concessions to aesthetics aren't going to hurt your army much.

@Finraer how does your shield unit do? I imagine you have to pick what you use it against quite carefully compared to the others, but I can imagine there are situations where the improved save makes a decent difference.

They do ok - 4 wounds apiece and a save of 4+ makes them pretty survivable.  In part it's also a psychological "look, this unit has shields and is tougher to kill".  

I'm no great general, though - perhaps I ought to be more selective than I am about what they face but likewise shouting "Moo!" And thirsting for blood has its appeal too. 

Good to know, gives me hope for my own bovine shieldwall when I get around to making it.

Against infantry with no rend, they should be very survivable. In a mixed Chaos army,  a sorcerer could buff them with oracular visions or daemonic power, and mystic shield would make them into real tanks. I'll have to think about them more, but I'm pretty sure there are some good combos possible for bullshields.

Archived