King Vlagurescu's Horde

Grungi Voodooson

So I've just bought King Vlagurescu's Horde and I'm wondering what the best configuration is for all the models.

I'm of the understanding that the horrors and flayers are built from the same sprues and the only character that's is its own model and not an upgrade on the basic unit is the varghulf courtier, assuming I'm right, here's my thoughts...

Ghoul King on Terrorgeist

20 Ghouls

6 crypt flayers 

varghulf courtier

3 crypt horrors

Will probably make a flayer and horror look a bit different for the 2 courtiers but will keep them basic for now.

Is this the best idea for my models or would more flayers be better over more horrors or vice versa?

I'll be getting more stuff to get up to 2000pts, think I need a box of ghouls and a getting started box but just wondering if that's the best option, cheers.

My experience has been that flayers work as small units, able to use their maneuverability and ability to do mortal wounds to snipe out characters, while sending a unit of six horrors up the board supported by a varghulf to regenerate them can clear a flank vs low armor troops, and are even better if you can keep a king close to them. I'm still in the zombie dragon camp when it comes to mounts for the king. Damage output is more reliable and the spell just heaps on more rerolls for even better damage output. If you get the getting started box, take a king on foot for the spell and you can do a terrorgheist on his own for the times when you know you'll face a low bravery army. And of course, you can pin or magnetize the king so you can try out both options.

Yes, the zombie dragon is the alternate build. It might even be possible to magnetize the heads to make them swappable, but the poses are very different. Not sure if that would work. I will say that I've never tried 6 flayers, maybe proxy a few games to see what works best for you. My army uses them more as heavy hitters and speed bumps, I have two units of 30 ghouls that tend to do a lot of the work as I play the army, but I'm sure people have done forces where the big dudes are the focus.

Archived