Starting out with khorne(mortal)

bigpaul0909

Im currently down to the last bits of what army to choose, its between mortal khorne and ironjawz, i wanted to play a pretty much melee focused army, but both armies fit the build, im currently torn, khorne (has the look i like to paint) ,ironjawz have the simplicity of play, and especially easy to start collecting  from 0. 

If you were going to start from 0 models for a mortal khorne army, how would you go?

I was thinking 1 SC box, 1 chaos warrior box, 20-40 rievers sourced from ebay, and then start adding heros, maybe some skullcrushers, maybe a bloodthirster?

thank you all in advance for your help.

16 hours ago, bigpaul0909 said:

Im currently down to the last bits of what army to choose, its between mortal khorne and ironjawz, i wanted to play a pretty much melee focused army, but both armies fit the build, im currently torn, khorne (has the look i like to paint) ,ironjawz have the simplicity of play, and especially easy to start collecting  from 0. 

If you were going to start from 0 models for a mortal khorne army, how would you go?

I was thinking 1 SC box, 1 chaos warrior box, 20-40 rievers sourced from ebay, and then start adding heros, maybe some skullcrushers, maybe a bloodthirster?

thank you all in advance for your help.

Welcome to a really engaging army, with a tonne of options and play styles.

For a Khorne mortal player I would recomend the following:

Battletome

Alter, it’s free and your priests will need it.

Judgements of khorne

The start collecting box - goreblade warband is a must as it has two battleline units and some models you can’t get anywhere else. This will form a good core to the army to get you started.

At least one, preferably 2 slaughter priests

Skull reapers and wrathmongers are a great addition - with spare legs you can b hold both from the same box. I suggest 2 boxes

A daemon prince brings a useful skill - charge debuff and can be quite a beatstick

A box of bloodwarriors, this will bring you to 15  - I have never used more than 20

Some reavers won’t hurt but don’t go overboard unless you really like them

Some daemons to summon eg start collecting and a couple of boxes of flesh hounds

Thirster if you wish, but I feel they will be better in a dedicated blood thirster list and not mortal 

you can mix in slaves too for other options, marauders are good but best in a big blob which does play against the Khorne ethos of small units to build tithe 

• Like 1

Depending on how much you are looking to spend starting out, I would recommend buying both Start Collectings.  As mentioned above, the Goreblade gives you two battleline and it also has the Bloodsecrator.  The other give you a Slaughterpriest and another unit of Bloodwarriors.  I would skip Chaos Warriors.  Remember, when you starting you are also going to need tools, glue, paints, and brushes.  This is another $50+ added to your startup cost.  Start slow and buy new units after you have painted/played what you have.  Don’t get overwhelmed with piles of plastic.

• Like 1