Love Death models, but not sure which faction to chose...

simonfoley

Hi All!

A "slow grow" campaign is starting amongst a local gaming group that I'm looking to take part in. Having been a WHFB player back in the 90's, I've not played fantasy for ages apart from a few intro AoS games and playing across the kitchen table with my daughter.  

Death is one of several armies I'm considering...but I'm not sure which faction to chose. I love all the models, but am confused by choice of army list. A nice problem to have I suppose!

As a guide (or sorts), I'm looking for something as noob(ish) friendly as possible, fair bit of infantry, scope to learn and grow. 

A few thoughts:

1) Go to the GW website and open up one of the Death armies on the store. Now open a new tab for every single model in that army. Then go through each tab, review the photos, bits of lore and everything about each unit and close the tab on any that you dislike or don't like or that just don't really "grab" you. At the end have a look at what you've got left. 

It might be that you've only got one or two leaders or big monsters left - so a small part of the army that you like, but the bulk (and esp infantry and troops and such) aren't to your liking. This might suggest that it would be better to get the one or two you want as a fun project to build and paint and perhaps ally into another army; but that hte bulk of that army isn't what you want

Might be you love it all or the majority, that instantly puts it nearer the top of your list

Could be you like the core infantry etc...

Basically it helps give you a visual idea what you really like. Sometimes you can even like the theme and lore of an army, but when you actually get down to  buying models you don't really "want" many if any of them. I'm like that with Space Marines - I love them in Dawn of War games and the lore, but when I actually look at the marine line of models there's just an overwhelming number I "don't want". 

2) You could go for Legions of Nagash as that army has a smattering of units from all the others melded into a single functional force. It would give you a bit of visual flavour from pretty much every corner of Death itself. From the bone and soul constructs of the Ossiarchs to the mad flesh eating Flesh Eaters and zombie dragons. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions Overread. 

14 hours ago, Overread said:

Might be you love it all or the majority, that instantly puts it nearer the top of your list

Could be you like the core infantry etc...

That's pretty much it...I do love the core infantry, and I do love it all  / the majority (as a visual thing). The only stuff I'm not so keen on are the Ossiarch Bonereapers. Aesthetically they just don't speak to me.

I am deffo going to look at Legions of Nagash...and a few of the sub faction s speak to me a little more. I like the idea of a Vampire-lead force. "Back in the Day", I ran a Von Carstein VC list...mostly infantry. I saw it as some Lord of the Manor type (albeit undead!) raising his minions to go to war!  I'm leaning towards Legion of Night, Legion of Blood or Soulblight. For now, at lower points levels early in the slow grow campaign, whatever is the least rules intensive!  I recently lost a game of 40K ONLY because I forgot some of the rules my army has!

Edited by simonfoley
  • Like 1

With the way GW has done Death I expect to see a Vampire Battletome at some point. GW already split off Flesh Eaters, Nighthaunt and Ossiarchs and Vampires have always featured really well in GW's armies and lore over the years of Old World and AoS. I fully expect to see GW flesh out the vampires with their own tome- pinching some units from Legions of Nagash and also forming their own whole army. But when that might happen is impossible to predict. IT could be the next thing after "pointy aelves" or it might be years away. 

Of course if you want to be a Lord of the Manor then Flesheaters do that really well. It's just that you're in insane lord and most of your serfs are equally insane ghouls. You save the innocent from monsters by being the monsters (and also likely eating the innocent as well). 

14 hours ago, Overread said:

With the way GW has done Death I expect to see a Vampire Battletome at some point...

...Of course if you want to be a Lord of the Manor then Flesheaters do that really well. It's just that you're in insane lord and most of your serfs are equally insane ghouls. You save the innocent from monsters by being the monsters (and also likely eating the innocent as well). 

Someone else recommended FEC to me recently, but from a gameplay perspective. I like some of the fluff and the theoryhammer of what some of their units are capable of, but for me wargaming has always been a visual hobby (not that winning isn't enjoyable!). Thus, I'm always going to veer towards models I like. I like the basic skeleton warriors models, a lot of the NH infantry, Hexwraiths / Black Knights, coven thrones, Vargeists...the list goes on. And, of course, Vampires! As I said, I had a Von Carstein list back in 5th / 6th ed WHFB.  Thus, I think (after a bit of thought), some vampire-centric sub faction of Legions of Nagash will be where I land.

I was just wondering what the perceived wisdom was hereabouts, in terms of a compromise between aesthetics and gameplay.

Edited by simonfoley

Honestly from what you say you love I'd say go with the Legions of Nagash and cross your fingers that GW comes by to swing Vampires their own Battletome. Like I said earlier I'd be really surprised if they don't give Vampires their own Tome or a big vampire focused update of some kind. Until then you can build a legion and you can be fairly safe that many of the vampire based models will either port over directly or have "counts as" equivalents. 

Yes, there typically is. Imagine Soulblight as the blood dragons with lots of heavy cavalry, although you could go for vargheists instead now and have a bestial theme, while Legions is more classical with big units of undead and powerful characters and special units. Legions could also go for elite armies and monster mashes if you want to.

Legions is the stronger army with more list variety. Consider Soulblight the army for vampire purists while Legions is the VC of old.