Endless Spell Rules question.

jartem

Question

I play a Skaven army in Singapore. As I have one Vermintide endless Spells model from the box. I realised in the Compendium, it states that you can cast more than 1 endless spell to be active at same time in game (2 different times it is cast and not dispelled) as  long as you have the representing model physically on hand? 

is this true? 

If on the warscrolls builder I select Vermintide for 40points but have physically 3 vermintide models, for that 40pts, can I utilise or cast out up to the 3 models I have to be active (Assume cast out by different wizard different turn and not yet dispelled)?

or is it that to use more than a single vermintide to be active you need select and pay for one more model (40pts) for each you wish to be active more than the on battlefield? 

Hope you can help me on this ruling.

6 answers to this question

Hi thanks for your analysis. But correct me if I am wrong, the text refers to the player owning physically two Vortex model. 

when he referred to the both models active on battlefield was a past tense. Hence he was highlighting that he cannot use a 3rd only because 2 are active. (In fact that sentence acknowledges 2 are in play!)

We have a lot senior players who transited from WHFB and share your view. (only 1 at a time - sometimes coz it sounded lame and too powerful)

but the rule text above doesn’t 100% explain-all it is always only one. It clearly didn’t say otherwise.

other than this, if you build warscroll builder, you can choose multiple units of Vermintide in list by paying 40pts each.

also I read some country players even came to acknowledge you can but pay the cost each spell unit 

• Like 1

Yeah I guess there are no rules prohibiting any players  to have more then one of the same endless spell on the table.

now there’s just one tiny problem.

A spell that has been attempted to cast, cannot be used again in the same phase.

so I guess you would have to at least wait a few rounds till you can summon more then one vermin-tide.

Still it’s interesting how there are always some rules that some of us player (including myself)  may or may not have played wrong.😂

Haha that’s what I suspected and most us go by the “norm” of what the more experienced players so say.

really not here to trouble make but i think it’s just played wrong, think about it, buying more than one costly endless spell is equal to 1 or some times an elite unit cost. Balances itself out. 

I still respect what my game community would agree on esp in tournaments. Just good to have it out there you know? 

thanks for sharing though 

This is one of those rules that is badly placed in the book. 

The Endless Spell page itself very much says that you are not limited at all, save for what you have in models.

HOWEVER if you look at the MATCHED PLAY pages of the rule book, in particular the army building section, you'll find that in the Matched Play system you cannot have more than one endless spell of the same name under the control of the same player. So you can cast Balewind Vortex and once it is in play under your control you cannot cast it again until that Balewind Vortex is removed from play. Your opponent can, of course, cast the same Endless Spell if they so wish. 

Again this is a really bad bit of formatting of the rules on GW's part and it trips many people up that there's no mention of the Matched Play rule on the actual Endless Spell page itself (and that that page even goes against it which can confuse many new people to the game). 

Note when you pay for an Endless Spell you are not paying for the model, but the ability to cast the spell itself. You can cast the spell as many times as you are legally allowed.

Note - I edited the original first post title just to make it clearer what the thread relates too. 

• Like 1

Hi I have had a friend explain also the rule now in Matched Play, what you mentioned. 

Great to know! Yes I am glad it’s clear now.

cheers all and Happy gaming! 

“Quizzical look as he leaves the chat room, a funny, maniacal tropical Skaven recluse” Sniff-Sniff, they all Die-Die anyway!”

lol. 

thanks guys! 

97B4A2D1-05EF-4BFA-93A2-09E5A444AB1D.png

• Like 1