Is there a roll-off to decide who decides turn-oder in Battleround 1?

King_Platypus

Question

Hi,

The confusing paragraph in the core rules reads as follows:

At the start of each battle round, the
players must roll off, and the winner
decides who takes the first turn. If the
roll-off is a tie, then the player who
went first in the last battle round can
choose who goes first in this one, but
if it is the first battle round, the player
that finished setting up their army
first chooses who has the first turn.

So, my question is:

Is the second part of the second sentence ("but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn.") an exception to the normal ruling what happens if there is a tie during the roll-off at the start of battleround 1, meaning  only the rule how to break ties is different in round 1?

OR is it a general exception to the rule in the first sentence, meaning there is no roll-off in the first Battleround to decide who goes first and instead the player who finishes set-up is always also  the one to choose turn order in round 1?

I'd argue it is the exception to the tie-breaking rule in the second sentence, since otherwise it should be mentioned as an exception in the first sentence already amd there would no roll-off at all in round 1. So only the tie-breaking rule is different in round 1.

Can someone point me to an official statement? I figure this question has come up a lot, I just could not find any answers except: "no matter how you interpret it, in our tournaments, we do it like this."

2 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, King_Platypus said:

Hi,

The confusing paragraph in the core rules reads as follows:

At the start of each battle round, the
players must roll off, and the winner
decides who takes the first turn. If the
roll-off is a tie, then the player who
went first in the last battle round can
choose who goes first in this one, but
if it is the first battle round, the player
that finished setting up their army
first chooses who has the first turn.

So, my question is:

Is the second part of the second sentence ("but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn.") an exception to the normal ruling what happens if there is a tie during the roll-off at the start of battleround 1, meaning  only the rule how to break ties is different in round 1?

OR is it a general exception to the rule in the first sentence, meaning there is no roll-off in the first Battleround to decide who goes first and instead the player who finishes set-up is always also  the one to choose turn order in round 1?

I'd argue it is the exception to the tie-breaking rule in the second sentence, since otherwise it should be mentioned as an exception in the first sentence already amd there would no roll-off at all in round 1. So only the tie-breaking rule is different in round 1.

Can someone point me to an official statement? I figure this question has come up a lot, I just could not find any answers except: "no matter how you interpret it, in our tournaments, we do it like this."

The Corebook FAQ on Warhammer Community has the following Statement on Page 4

Q: Does the player that first finished setting up their army
always choose who has the first turn in the first battle round, or
is it only if the roll-off is a tie?
A: The player that first finished setting up their army
always chooses who has the first turn in the first battle
round, unless specifically noted otherwise in the
battleplan that is being used.

Edited by EMMachine