Greywater Fastness lore: Valius Maliti

Fulcanelli

Hi everyone!
I'm slowly preparing a Greywater Fastness army and I'm diving in the lore of this city. I knew that Valius Maliti and his craftsmen built it, using Realmstone.
Here's a first question: I have to think that part of the buildings are actually made of this prodigious stone, or means that Valius used its magical power in some ways?

Also... I've read in Lexicanum that Valius "served Tzeentch and worked his secret patron's designs into a dozen Free Cities". Well, I've definitely miss something!
He's always been a chaos devotee or maybe he converted after the construction of GF?

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Hey @Fulcanelli, good question. :) 

Valius Maliti first showed up along with Greywater Fastness (and Hammerhal, the Living City, and the Phoenicium) in the Season of War global campaign in summer 2016, which was all about the founding of the aforementioned cities, and was won by the forces of Order in a landslide. In the material that came out with the campaign, as well as all subsequent descriptions of him, Maliti was definitely using the Realmstone as a power source, and not out and out making buildings out of it.

In Battletome: Disciples of Tzeentch, released in January 2017 Valius Maliti was described as having designed all of the Cities of Sigmar, but to have been impersonated by the Changeling while doing it, and a bunch of Tzeentch contrivances to have taken place under Sigmar's nose. 2018's AoS 2.0 Core Book makes no mention of the Changeling, but does describe Maliti as having had Tzeentch as a "secret patron" when masterminding the cities he constructed. This could be interpreted as the Maliti with Tzeetch's patronage having been the Changeling all along, or as both the real Maliti being in Tzeentch's thrall and impersonated by the Changeling at the same time. Personally I'd go with the second option, Tzeetchian plots aren't really Tzeentchian plots if they seem like they make sense.

I though Valius Maliti and Greywater Fastness were so cool when they first showed up in the Season of War that I actually made a model of him to use as a Gunmaster. When he was revealed to have been the Changeling, I decided that he could now represent one of Maliti's apprentices, the horrible scars inflicted by the Changeling's daemon fire already covered up by the convenient mask I'd already  modelled him up with.

IMG_20170901_1230036.jpg.802d1bfe8c3fee4c09ef4261141fc423.jpgIMG_20170901_1229063.jpg.dc64dd0a0c38d0c5c37988d0ba4ddaea.jpg

IMG_20170901_1229429.jpg

• Like 4

Oh, thanks @Double Misfire, that's a very comprehensive answer!

I'm pleased to learn that behind the construction of these cities there were such evil machinations. It makes CoS lore grimmer.
And now I'm  wondering if these plans are risolved or maybe there were (or will be) consequences...

Also I really like your gunmaster's conversion (such a beautiful model, sad it's been squatted), thank you for sharing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fulcanelli said:

Oh, thanks @Double Misfire, that's a very comprehensive answer!

I'm pleased to learn that behind the construction of these cities there were such evil machinations. It makes CoS lore grimmer.
And now I'm  wondering if these plans are risolved or maybe there were (or will be) consequences...

Also I really like your gunmaster's conversion (such a beautiful model, sad it's been squatted), thank you for sharing!

The Gunmaster will be overhauled to be used as something that can be used with the new CoS book... just not ready to say what yet. ;) 

• 1 month later...