Want the Thor: Ragnarok undead look for my Ossiarchs- not sure on paints to get.

Heijoshin

Hey everyone! 

As the title says, I'd like to give my ossiarchs a look based in the undead draugr from Thor: Ragarok, but I am not sure what paints would be needed. 

The hardest is what the bone colour actually seems to be from the pictures. I can't tell if its a grey, green or normal yellowy bone colour, because each picture is different! Anyone have any tips. 

For the clothing, it seems to be a blackish grey, dark red and some green if I'm not mistaken. What would be some good choices ? For the wash I guess nuln oil? 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Skurge-Thor-Ragnarok-Review.png

ThorRagnarok59e805734cb9c-1000x418.jpg

Bersekers.jpg

ThorRagnarok13-e1509885951214.webp

All the pics I’ve seen are really dark or blurry because of motion.  I think regular bone colors would work best with the green glowing eyes for spot color.  The armor looks like it has a lot of verdigris, so Nihlakh Oxide to help age.  Doesn’t look very rusty, though.  Dark clothing would help set off the bronze and verdigris.

Good luck.

@Heijoshin, I agree with @Redking the armor looks like it has a lot of verdigris but in some of the photos it also looks like there is some old chipped red on the armor as well (old lacquer on the armor?) so I’d say try a test model (space marine should work well) with a dark bronze armor (personally I’d use Warplock, Agrax, Sycorax or Runelord for edging, Nihlakh). Depending on how detailed you wanna get you could use some liquid mask to cover random patches of the base coat then apply your choice of dark red to get the chipped effect before applying the wash (more work than I’d be willing to do).

For the bones I’d do a small variety with them with different models ranging from greyed ancient bones through to fresh yellows. Have more “older” colors than “newer” shades to help the green of the eyes stand out.

20 hours ago, Redking said:

All the pics I’ve seen are really dark or blurry because of motion.  I think regular bone colors would work best with the green glowing eyes for spot color.  The armor looks like it has a lot of verdigris, so Nihlakh Oxide to help age.  Doesn’t look very rusty, though.  Dark clothing would help set off the bronze and verdigris.

Good luck.

Yes, you are aright that it the pics aren't perhaps the best, but the best I could do from Google. They weren't exactly a focal point of the movie, so not a lot of clear imagery of them unfortunately. I appreciate you taking the time to give some advice though. I definitely think Nihlakh is needed here.  I do think that regular bone colour is the easiest way to go probably, or perhaps a little greyish colour (as @Lior'Lec pointed out as an option). 

19 hours ago, michu said:

I think you could paint the armour with Waagh! Flesh + Nuln Oil combination.

Interesting combo! Will take a look at what this might look like! Thank :D

15 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

@Heijoshin, I agree with @Redking the armor looks like it has a lot of verdigris but in some of the photos it also looks like there is some old chipped red on the armor as well (old lacquer on the armor?) so I’d say try a test model (space marine should work well) with a dark bronze armor (personally I’d use Warplock, Agrax, Sycorax or Runelord for edging, Nihlakh). Depending on how detailed you wanna get you could use some liquid mask to cover random patches of the base coat then apply your choice of dark red to get the chipped effect before applying the wash (more work than I’d be willing to do).

For the bones I’d do a small variety with them with different models ranging from greyed ancient bones through to fresh yellows. Have more “older” colors than “newer” shades to help the green of the eyes stand out.

I noticed the red too. I think if I add red, I may just add a dark redish colour to the sash that hangs between the legs, just to add some variation to the colours. I think the hardest for me is the choice of bone colour, but I guess I just have to experiment a little. For the armour, I was thinking something similar to what you suggested. Have the armour plates blacker / darker or with more Nihlakh, with the rims at the top (which should be bone) as more bronzey with less Nihlakh. 

What do you mean with "older" colors and "newer" shades exactly? 

EDIT: 

Thanks to all three of you for answering! I really appreciate it :)

Edited by Heijoshin

@Heijoshin I mean just mixing in some standard yellowish bone colored guys with some that are more grayish and maybe even a couple greenish (mossy bones). Newer bones being more yellow in tone while the older ones taking on grey and green tints. Just an idea so that every soldier doesn’t have the exact same “skin tone” but it’s up to personally preference really. 

2 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

@Heijoshin I mean just mixing in some standard yellowish bone colored guys with some that are more grayish and maybe even a couple greenish (mossy bones). Newer bones being more yellow in tone while the older ones taking on grey and green tints. Just an idea so that every soldier doesn’t have the exact same “skin tone” but it’s up to personally preference really. 

That's a great idea! I'm new to painting and the game so this never crossed my mind. Thanks for the tip! What would be good yellowy paints to use and the moss would be a wash kinda thing right? 

@Heijoshin, check the citadel paint app; they have multiple end colors you’d find useful and their recipes ready to go. Paint by Color>Bone> Then I’d suggest different individual models painted using Ancient Bone, Bone, Mossy Bone, Clean Bone, and Polished Bone. If you decide to stick to a single color of bones then I think Polished Bone or Ancient Bone would probably look best (again, test on some spare models first to see what you really like; you may well prefer everyone in standard Bone color).

As for the Mossy Bone specifically you just use camoshade as wash your wash. The app says to use Terminus and Alaric stones as your layer/edge colors but I’ve found using Ushabti and Screaming skull still looks good as does painting like Ancient Bone but substituting the earthshade wash for camoshade.