Old Vampire Counts collector returning

Normal

Hello!

I began collecting Vampire Counts back in the release of the 6th ed. I´ll finally get through my huge pile of shame, assemble and paint my models. However, I never played a single match of Age of Sigmar (but I read the rules and Legions of Nagash).

I would take some advice for starts. What is good these days? Considering I don´t have nothing released after the 1st ed of AoS, except for Neferata. Got a lot of zombies (dozens), skeletons, ghouls, Coven Throne and a few scattered old units here and there. Converting is an option, buying new models is not. I´m looking for a 1500 points list, mostly to play for fun.

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Normal said:

Hello!

I began collecting Vampire Counts back in the release of the 6th ed. I´ll finally get through my huge pile of shame, assemble and paint my models. However, I never played a single match of Age of Sigmar (but I read the rules and Legions of Nagash).

I would take some advice for starts. What is good these days? Considering I don´t have nothing released after the 1st ed of AoS, except for Neferata. Got a lot of zombies (dozens), skeletons, ghouls, Coven Throne and a few scattered old units here and there. Converting is an option, buying new models is not. I´m looking for a 1500 points list, mostly to play for fun.

Thanks in advance!

Generaly most of the LoN units are good. Just as with old VC, they rely on synergies.

First you need to chose a legion. There are 5 options, blood, night, sacrament, grief and grandhost.

Grief is probably out since its main advantage are nighthaunt models.

Night buffsyour skeletons, can be defensive and score objectives with ambush or just ambush powerful unit to the backline.

Blood focuses on vampires,  without dragon or alot of bloodknights it is not worth in my opinion. One of 2 options where you can play neferata.

Sacrament is magic heavy. Great but I feel like arkhan is present in most list. Can certainly be good without him , especialy on 1500. Dont know if you dont suffer much by not habeing endless spells.

Grandhost focuses on resurecting. Also you can use neferata and she doesnt even need to be a general. That is huge. 

Regadles of your choice, necro is great, skeletons are also very good in large numbers. Wolfs are also very cheap for their stats and the fact that they are battleline. Zombie dragon is also one of the best option in lon book. 

There are not that many shock troops/rend acces so remember this when building the army.

7 hours ago, Normal said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you should have a workable army.  I'd likely veer towards running a Grand Host of Nagash list (which can include Neferata).  How many skeletons do you have?  Also do you have any Vampire and/or Necromancer miniatures as they're pretty key components for most lists.  Ghouls could be a little more tricky to include as they now fall under Flesh Eater Courts, so would need to be an ally so wouldn't benefit from quite a few of the Grand Host rules.

Thanks! 

Based on this, I´m thinking going for skelletons at first. Have 80 of them. Necros, grave guards, black knights/hexwraiths, black coach (to be converted), a few vamps are on the menu too. Will build a 1000 pts list, them go up from there.