Stupid question: coloured armour?

PiotrW

You know, here's something I'm wondering about...

So many of AoS models feature armour - armour that has all kinds of colours. Khorne warriors have red armour, Skaven storm fiends have blue armour etc. But...

... does it actually make sense?

I mean, did coloured armour really exist? I may be mistaken, but various kinds of armour (at least in Europe and Middle East) were simply... metallic. As in, various shades of gray. Some armour might have been gilden or made silver-esque and shiny, there have been a few special metallurgy techniques to make armour blueish etc. - but that's it. Full-on coloured armour? I don't think such a thing actually existed, at least not in many areas of the world...

Am I wrong? If not, then what's the rationale behind giving so many of AoS models coloured armour? Does it make any sense to paint them in such way?

Help me out here... *scratches head*

Sorry, I missed it, these are 15th to 16th century helmets, called sallets. Popular in the regions the Freeguild (nee Empire) models are based on.

12th century nasal helmets are also pictured painted, and we know some greek helmets also were. Painting armour was common in many places, in east asia laquering it was usual to prevent rust, but also humble chain was blacked (basically encouraging iron bonden with four instead of three (red rust) oxygen molecules, not painted per se, but still).

Edited by zilberfrid