Newb - Tzeentch-themed Mortals

Cordova

Hi all,

I’m coming back to fantasy after defecting to 40k for a bit.  I’ve had Undead since 4th Edition, so I thought it was time for a change ... I’ve always had a soft spot for Chaos Warriors, Beastmen, and Tzeentch, and as I had a few random models, I thought it might make sense to start a proper army.

I mostly paint rather than play, and tend to prefer “cool models” and ”fluffiness” over on-table efficiency, but would still like something that’s at least vaguely playable.  Ultimately, I’m looking to build a 2,000pt army.  At the moment I have:

1x Sorcerer Lord

15x Chaos Warriors

10x Chosen

10x Chaos Knights

1x Chaos Chariot

10x Chaos Warhounds

10x Beastmen Gors

This runs to a total of 1,460 points.

I’m not overly sure what to add to round it out to 2,000pts.  I really like the Chimera and Lord on Manticore models, so finding an excuse to add either of them would be great.  I quite like the Pink Horror and Screamer models, but am less fond of the Flamers, and I really don’t like the Chaos Warshrine and Marauders (on foot), so I’d rather avoid them.  I’m open to dropping the chariot or half of the knights, but otherwise I’d like to use what I’ve got.

So … any ideas?

Those Gors won't stretch very far without support.  Consider proxying them as warriors (or marauders if you pick up tzaangors).  The rest of what you have is fine, but you need more tools.  Chariots are great - consider more of them if you like how they work in 1,000 point battles.

Screamers as great backfield harassment.  Horrors are ok for shooting and some magic - better in larger numbers, but they cost a lot of points.

Manticores, I think, are pretty great with lots of variance.  Others may disagree. Tzeentch Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount is probably my favorite of any scroll.

Thanks for the replies, guys! :)

4 hours ago, Wundlesprut said:

Have you thought about the Silver Tower acolytes and tzeentch got or Tzangor? you can get sprues fairly easy from most places.  I only mention it because the Atia rumours in the rumour thread predict tzeentch stuff down the line. 

Yeah, the whole "year of Tzeentch" thing was in the back of my mind.  It wouldn't surprise me if we saw kairic acolytes, tzangor and pink/blue horror kits some time soon (especially given that the models from Betrayal at Calth and Deathwatch Overkill have been released separately).  I must admit, I'm a bit torn on the tzangor models - they are undoubtedly nice sculpts, and being Tzeentch-specific is great, but to me beastmen are "goat people", and having avian heads just doesn't quite sit right ... churlish, I know. :$  I do like the acolytes ... hopefully if they get a full release, we might see some extra poses, which would help with the appearance of a larger unit..?

2 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

Those Gors won't stretch very far without support.  Consider proxying them as warriors (or marauders if you pick up tzaangors). 

They do seem a bit "squishy" compared to chaos warriors, and I'm guessing they'd be much better as a unit of 20? (my plan was 15+)  Originally, I was considering having them "count as" marauders, although given that their profiles are very similar (barring the behaviour of the musician and standard), I'm not sure it's worth it compared to any potential confusion it'd cause (although I know it'd mean I could then take knights as battleline, if I kept away from daemons ...)

The rest of what you have is fine, but you need more tools. 

I think that'd be a very fair assessment.  I know I need a "stabby" hero, although I'm not sure which to go for.  I like the idea of a chaos lord on manticore (with Daemonic Blade and Chaos Runeshield options, plus the Chaos Runeblade allegiance relic), although I'm not fond of the sorcerer model option (I'm not convinced about the staff, and there's something else I can't put my finger on).  I'm not sure if that's enough, or if I should look at an exalted hero or second sorcerer lord..? (I remember the bad times of "hero-hamer", and when Chaos characters were insanely potent in WHFB, although they've been toned down a lot in AoS...)

Chariots are great - consider more of them if you like how they work in 1,000 point battles.

Noted - I can always get another ...

Screamers as great backfield harassment. 

They do look useful, due to their speed and ability to hurt things by just flying over them.  I wasn't sure if I'd be going too far with "fast stuff", given the warhounds, knights and chariots..?  I'll probably pick up a box, if only for Silver Tower...

Horrors are ok for shooting and some magic - better in larger numbers, but they cost a lot of points.

Yeah, more than anything else, I was thinking about them for their ability to act as an additional wizard, leaving the sorcerer free to cast Daemonic Power, whilst still being able to cast Mystic Shield or Arcane Bolt.  Plus giving me something to do in the shooting phase...

Tzeentch Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount is probably my favorite of any scroll.

Funnily, I was thinking about one of those for smaller games, as they do seem rather tough, and their command ability is pretty great. :)

The gors would be a bit better as a larger unit, but the real problem is the loss of synergy from other beastmen units.  You can also keep knights as battleline and have daemons -- summon them!  There is no problem with being too fast as long as you can get the job done when you get there.

Horrors do make an excellent choice if you want a caster that just does mystic shield -- more wounds and more shooting than your standard sorcerer.

The tzeentch marked manticore lord is the "weakest", but still decent overall.  The sorcerer has a really great spell - consider modifying the model to suit your tastes.  Otherwise don't worry about hero hammer.  It's nothing like it used to be.  Even as daunting as stuff like the new Archaon is - even the lowliest troop can put wounds on him.

If you do end up getting the Screamers and like them, and don't mind mixing in more daemons, the Burning Chariot kit is great bang for your buck. I turned one into Blue Scribes, A Herald on Disc, Exalted Flamer, and 2 extra Screamers.

Alternatively, Knights as battleline is a great reason to stick with Mortals only, especially when you already have a solid number. They are such a great unit.

7 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

You can also keep knights as battleline and have daemons -- summon them! 

Horrors do make an excellent choice if you want a caster that just does mystic shield -- more wounds and more shooting than your standard sorcerer.

Both great points!

17 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

The gors would be a bit better as a larger unit, but the real problem is the loss of synergy from other beastmen units. 

*looks at rules for beastmen characters* gotcha ... maybe my marauders will be very mutated and goat-like ... :)

You can also keep knights as battleline and have daemons -- summon them! 

That's true.  I'd been put off summoning an bit, as I had a gut feeling that it'd mean "needing" to take a second wizard to compensate for losing the ability to cast mystic shield/daemonic power on the turn(s) I was attempting to summon on.  I suppose if I managed to summon on turn 1, the inability to cast mystic shield that once might not be so bad..? (as I'm assuming I'd be out of range of most things...)

There is no problem with being too fast as long as you can get the job done when you get there.

Yeah, I'm just used to fast stuff either being a bit fragile, or needing support but arriving too soon. :$ I suppose that's less of an issue with chariots and knights (but more with warhounds...)...

Good to hear :)

The tzeentch marked manticore lord is the "weakest", but still decent overall.  The sorcerer has a really great spell - consider modifying the model to suit your tastes. 

Yeah, whilst having the extra dispel attempt would be nice against magic-heavy armies, overall I think I'd prefer their ability to be something that'd stop them getting stabbed. :) As for the sorcerer, the Wind of Chaos spell does look pretty neat.  With regard to the model, to me the scythe looks top-heavy (which can be solved by lopping the top off and adding an ornament to the tip), and it looks a bit unatural being held nearly upright - in my mind, it should be more horizontal and tucking behind him (that and given the posing, the other shoulder should be thrown forward a little).  Fortunately (or unfortunately..!), I work a few minutes walk from my local GW, and they have an assembled one, so I'll have a look next week ... it could just be the way they've assembled or photographed the one on the web site ...

10 hours ago, KhaosZand3r said:

If you do end up getting the Screamers and like them, and don't mind mixing in more daemons, the Burning Chariot kit is great bang for your buck. I turned one into Blue Scribes, A Herald on Disc, Exalted Flamer, and 2 extra Screamers.

I do rather like that kit. :) (uh-oh ... urge to do Tzeentch daemons too ...) Still, that's a pretty impressive haul of characters out of it! :)

10 hours ago, KhaosZand3r said:

Alternatively, Knights as battleline is a great reason to stick with Mortals only, especially when you already have a solid number. They are such a great unit.

I must admit, I did have the urge to do a mounted army, with a lord on manticore, a ton of knights, and some chariots (especially as I have a mounted sorcerer somewhere...), but something in my head told me not to ... probably something from the time when knights could get a 1+ save, and fielding that kind of army would result in bad things happening to you..! O.o

Sorry for the delay in continiuing with the topic, but it took me a while to get to my local GW (work decided it would be unhelpful and get in the way...).  Having had a look at their store model (Sorcerer Lord on Manticore), it does look a lot better than the pics on the web site, so I now have one (I'll probably magnetise it so I can also have the Chaos Lord option). :)

I figure this gives me:

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (General, Mark of Tzeentch, Terrifying Presence)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (Chaos Talisman)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Chaos Marauders x 20 (hand weapon & shield)

Chaos Warriors x 20 (hand weapon & shield)

Chaos Chosen x 10

Chaos Knights x 5 (glaives)

Chaos Chariots x 1

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch x 10

Screamers of Tzeentch x 3 [summoned]

This comes to 1880 points, leaving 120 points for an extra chariot, an exalted hero, 10 warhounds (I have the models for all of those options), or 5 marauder horsemen.

Alternatively, I could go with the Chaos Lord option, switching the Sorcerer Lord on Manticore and Chaos Lord on Daemonic Steed for a Chaos Lord on Manticore (with Daemon Blade & Chaos Lance, Spiteful Destroyer and Chaos Talisman) and a Sorcerer Lord on foot, which comes to 1960 points.

It's suprisingly hard. I've ended up doing it with Chaos Spawn units of one.

Also Tzeentch have pretty dismal synergies - other than the Warshrine.

Finally the formation loses the extra arcane bolts, so frankly isn't worth the points.

• 1 month later...

Archived